• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Universal Sony Home Pictures to Release Anime in Australia

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ringking

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Its it just me or does the Australian anime distribution scene seem to have really exploded over the last year or two. The amount of companies we've had licensing anime has doubled in recent times.

Not really interested in any of those titles, already have most of them and I'm not buying Raildex unless I see some BD's, but its great to have another company getting into the game.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Sony has released anime in Australia in the past. I have four releases: Paprika (blu-ray and DVD), a five disk collection (with Metropolis, Cowboy Bebop, Steamboy, Memories & Paprika) and Tekkonkinkreet. Yeah, I've got three versions of Paprika.

Anyway, Aniplex USA is a subsidiary of Sony, so I wonder if Sony want to do to Oz what Aniplex is doing to America. I hope not. That aside, we now have four distributors in Australia. It's a good thing, I suppose, but can we support that many?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:54 am Reply with quote
These titles are all Geneon/Pioneer so they are coming from the Universal side of Universal Sony (via Geneon Universal in Japan) so it doesn't mean anything in regards to Sony/Aniplex titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I recommend Haibane Renmei to anyone who hasn't seen it already. Really well-put-together slice-of-life/drama/coming-of-age/low-key, slightly ominous mysterious-fantasy-type series. Anything requiring that many hyphens to describe is pretty-much guaranteed to be interesting, in my experience.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Oh, it's a great shame that Australian DVDs are so expensive for those of us in America to import!
The prices are high, and we don't get the compensating effects of Australia wages — which (according to my impression) are higher than American ones.
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
Oh, it's a great shame that Australian DVDs are so expensive for those of us in America to import!
The prices are high, and we don't get the compensating effects of Australia wages — which (according to my impression) are higher than American ones.

That is correct, Australian cost of living is much higher and thus wages are higher.

If I remember correctly, when a friend of mine was employed by maccas in the states, she earned $7 a hour USD, in Australia she's picking up $18 a hour AUD and complaining bitterly about the cost of everything here.

But which titles in particular are you disappointed that you can't purchase from this set? They're all (to my knowledge) available from Funimation.

In terms of industry support, Genon titles have done this before. USPHA is making a red hot go of this and are trying their best. So I guess we shall see if the market responds.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
sonictail wrote:
But which titles in particular are you disappointed that you can't purchase from this set? They're all (to my knowledge) available from Funimation.
None, actually. My post was more prompted by the Ringking's general observation about how this seems a bit of a golden era for anime licensing in Australia. I have plenty of other anime on my R4 wish-list, and that list is growing!
theprophetagp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:23 am Reply with quote
I'm concerned that Universal Sony might not treat Anime with the same love that Madman has over the past 16 years and treat it like another Hollywood title. Universal Sony needs to bring people from the Anime industry in Australia on board who understand the product. Other than that I think it's great we've got another distributor in Australia to bring more titles over here, as long as our market isn't flooded with crap which I believe is part of the reason the American market has shrunk.

The other reasons the American Anime market has shrunk over the years while ours has grown in my opinion is obviously the dire state of the US economy, piracy and the changing platforms on where Anime is being watched where streaming in the US is really taking off.

I'm no expert on online streaming so don't quote me here but from my perspective, we've been much slower in moving from physical media to online streaming and legitimate digital downloads in general not only because I think Australian consumers prefer physical media (I do too) but also due to the majority of the population having access only to peak downstream speeds of 24Mbps, Telstra and Optus in years gone have refused to upgrade their copper network and ISPs implementing data caps on nearly all Internet plans which depending on the data limit and ISP can be very expensive.

I'd like to see Universal Sony release older titles like they've done with Armitage III and perhaps this might mean we'll be able to see more of Pioneer/Geneon's older licenses re-released here again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:36 am Reply with quote
If there is something that I didn't like, it would be the covers they plan on useing. Check THIS page to scroll down and see, they an aweful looking strip on them.
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:45 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
If there is something that I didn't like, it would be the covers they plan on useing. Check THIS page to scroll down and see, they an aweful looking strip on them.

Yeah, ANIME COLLECTION in Kanji... But they're supposed to be slipcase with a opening cover, like you used to get with video games..

I dunno, I'm looking forward to seeing these titles but I won't judge them until I see the releases for myself. If we judged all anime by it's packaging we would miss some amazing titles.
theprophetagp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:38 am Reply with quote
Since I don't have access to any Region 1/A DVD/BD players including my laptop which has a BD player I'll reluctantly be purchasing the titles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1