• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Distribution in Canada

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
red stranger

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this will mean Bandai stuff actually arrives at stores on time. I've talked to some people at comics stores regarding Bandai products, and they complain about the distributioon situation. Even Amazon.ca seems to be affected by the problem, since they are always late with my Bandai DVDs.
Ragebot

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:28 pm Reply with quote
While we don't know yet as to how good B&M distribution will be, the listings of Bandai products on Amazon.ca looks optimistic on that front. The site has all of Bandai's catalog set for a May 30th release, and are all priced at 30% off.

Here's hoping for the best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Are these the same guys who handle Bandai Visual's distribution? Because Bandai Visual's distribution is fantastic. EVERY store got Patlabor Movie I in.

In any case, it's just nice to finally see something after nearly three years of inexcusable absence.
Ragebot

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Bandai Visual's distribution is done by Image Entertainment (who also does Criterion's.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm guessing that means they're distributed differently in the US as well. Let's hope that the fact that Bandai titles are being distributed exclusively, unlike with ADV and Geneon which tend to be more erratic, is a good sign.
Xaquin

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:00 pm Reply with quote
We do the distribution for Image Entertainment exclusively into Canada, as well, so we actually did handle the Patlabor movie (and the 2nd movie coming up). I'm glad you were able to find it easily! Paradox distributes much more than anime (although, that's all that I deal with). We distribute A&E, Image Entertainment (which includes Criterion as Ragebot noted), Tartan Asian Cinema, Acorn Media, Blue Underground and a slew of others. The writers were only interested in our anime lines for the article.

We are really excited about Bandai and will do our best to meet streetdate with titles (I've gone through the same drought...got Vol 1 & 2 of Witch Hunter Robin back in the day and had to buy the rest from E-bay!)! There will be a "growing & learning period", naturally, as there will be border issues most likely so please bare with us initially! However, our initial shipments are looking great! Give us a little time to streamline...THEN you can tell me when we aren't keeping up!

If any of you are going to Anime North in Toronto on May 26-28, stop by booth 153-159...I'll be there or at the Kotoko concert!

Pepperidge wrote:
Are these the same guys who handle Bandai Visual's distribution? Because Bandai Visual's distribution is fantastic. EVERY store got Patlabor Movie I in.

In any case, it's just nice to finally see something after nearly three years of inexcusable absence.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:46 am Reply with quote
Oh, wow, it's so great to actually be getting detailed information on this distribution straight from the source. Those guys are Target Marketing were just a joke.

Be sure to really push Gundam SEED/Destiny in the mainstream retailers... it's popularity on YTV makes it one of the most demanded titles, but the hardest to find. But I'm sure you're aware of that already, heh. I really hope that Bandai gets some cheap boxsets out for it soon.

Oh, how is distribution going to be for special edition items? Because I'd really like to pick up the SEs for Eureka Seven.
Xaquin

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:45 pm Reply with quote
That's a tough one. I currently try to sell into major retailers in Canada. We deal with other distribution companies that deal with comic stores, Mom & Pop rental stores and small independents. For me, the challenge is trying to get the major retailers back into anime. Retailers have been burned in the past as most of their buyers don't know/understand/care about anime. Under the 'guidance' of a sales rep who usually knows little to nothing about anime either, the retailer 'try out' a title, have a success (ie: Spirited Away or Appleseed) and then buy heavily on the wrong titles (the test is over and anime looks like it can sell). The retailer gets burned and don't want to try anime again when they can easily buy more Pirates of the Caribbean which they know sells. Therefore, it's a battle to get placement on an Appleseed or Samurai Champloo, let alone more niche product like a Doki Doki School Hours. Major retailers are gunshy on boxes as well (unless their individual stores have proven the ability to sell them or have independent buyers at store level which most do not...most purchasing is done from a head office level) for a variety of reasons: box sets cost more (so higher inventory being carried in store - never a good thing), don't necessarily sell immediately (turns are everything) and can be a living heck to merchandise (ever tried to fit a .Hack//sign complete box - that big diamond shaped one - into a DVD bunk? Yikes!!!)

So, it's a battle. It really comes down to the consumer. If you create a demand at your local retailer of choice - be it a huge chain or local rental place that does some sell-through or an online retailer - then the product should be there. The best strategy for a consumer, ask your retailer to pre-order it for you. Typically, they need to pre-order their product from us approx. 2 months before the product hits the street (the timing is different from studio to studio and even product to product). So that's when you need to let them know that, yeah, I will pick up that box set at on/near street date. Do it often enough and they may just start carrying box sets rather than one-off orders for them. The tough thing for the Buyer for a retail chain is not having sales history on something whether that's a franchise, genre or single title...they would rather go with something they know will sell since competition between national retailers is so fierce and space in stores is limited (refer back to the Pirates of the Caribbean above).

Okay, there's your novel for tonight! Short answer: I hope distribution will be good. I'll do my best. Pre-order with your retailer, if you can, to ensure you get it on street date!!

Pepperidge wrote:
...Oh, how is distribution going to be for special edition items? Because I'd really like to pick up the SEs for Eureka Seven.

P.S. The Eureka Seven SE is wicked..nice box (good cardboard and art), OST and slick shirt...it's a mens large...in short, Bandai are awesome!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1