• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sakura-Con 2013 - Funimation Panel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StormSky92

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Dang, been waiting for Future Diary for awhile. I wonder if it's getting a BD release, since there was news last year that it had only been confirmed for DVD release.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Thorough summary. Thanks, Mike!
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I take it that the question about Ah! My Goddess Season 3 was about the 4(soon to be 5) OVAs and not a new tv season? If it is, at least they told why no one has been about to get ahold of them.

As for the DBZ movie, why is Fox the one that gets first dibs on licensing the DBZ movies? That just seems really strange.

Finally they've told that Haganai will be getting a release later this year. Hopefully it's a BR/DVD combo considering how long it's taken to get released.
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:

As for the DBZ movie, why is Fox the one that gets first dibs on licensing the DBZ movies? That just seems really strange.

Because Fox actually produced the film in Japan.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Sure, they ask about Battle of the Gods, but not the continuation of Kai.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, they probably didn't ask about Kai because it isnt exactly new. It's "new" but of footage that already exists in the story. Battle of Gods is completely new so people are excited for it. I personally dont see it doing as well as people will think when it does come out here. DBZ has a huge following, but they would really need to promote it to get huge huge numbers. Considering the Funimation facebook page is almost up to a million though, it could do decently well.

Im curious as to if Haganai will be on blu ray since they just say home video. It isn't action heavy, but it's a colorful show that would look gorgeous, especially the second season.
Melicans

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:

Fox has theatrical film rights for DBZ in America; most people associate those rights with live action Hollywood fare, but it could extend to animation as well.

My personal theory, unconfirmed by anything online, is that the complete disaster that was Evolution scuppered their plans for a live-action franchise based on the series. With any possible future live-action installments languishing in development hell, there is a risk that their ownership of those rights will expire if no film is made in a set period of time; if they expire, the Japanese rights holders will be free to shop them around to other Hollywood studios. So, as a way to prevent the rights from expiring, Fox involves themselves in the production of Battle of Gods, giving them more time to try again on a future live-action installment (reboot or sequel).

Again, just my personal theory and one that is not backed up by anything I've seen mentioned on the web. But it would explain Fox's involvement in Battle of Gods, and why Funimation has to wait for them. If it goes to theatres, even in a limited release, it will probably be Fox. If they pass and it goes direct-to-video as I think most would expect, they will have probably passed it on to Funimation. Whether released by Fox or Funi, the Funi dub cast is almost certainly assured to be involved in the eventual release.

That aside, there's some really good stuff I'm happy to see in the article. Lack of simulcast announcements aside, I wasn't expecting them to address the lack of Blu-ray for HLP Forte; and even though it's basically been known already, it's still nice to see them mention it. Ditto the problems with online content in Canada, since most licenses for the US include Canada as part of the region. Finally, Haganai will be out later this year? Woot! I can't wait for more info on that.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
Finally, Haganai will be out later this year? Woot! I can't wait for more info on that.

It's DVD only?
So no buy from me...
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Unless I didn't read something right, I'm actually shocked that the Black Lagoon OAVs are retaining the original dub cast.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
The Bandai answer is not really surprising because the rights might have all not reverted or something, but I wouldn't be surprised if we soon see at least Cowboy Bebop rescued here because of the recent UK/Australia licenses.

Also, yesterday someone asked about the Negima OVAs+movie but they have no news on them. Considering the recent Blu-ray release I'd say it's too early to ask.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote
YES! Yes! I've been waiting for the release of The Woman Called Fujiko Mine! I was just thinking about it the other day and wondering when they were going to release it. Happiness! That is going straight into my preorders. Very Happy
Calibrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The OVA sequel, Roberta's Blood Trail, will feature the original dub cast, and comes out this summer.

I can dig it. :3
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:04 am Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
Melicans wrote:
Finally, Haganai will be out later this year? Woot! I can't wait for more info on that.

It's DVD only?
So no buy from me...

Aw come on man. I want a blu ray more than anybody, but Im not going to not support the show over it.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:51 am Reply with quote
Nocturne123 wrote:
boredandlazy wrote:
Melicans wrote:

It's DVD only?
So no buy from me...

Aw come on man. I want a blu ray more than anybody, but Im not going to not support the show over it.

I haven't seen it yet. And there's plenty of content that is being released on Blu-Ray that I can watch in the meantime.
I suspect Funi will rerelease it on Blu-Ray later down the line, and I'll buy it then. Just like what I'm doing for Index/Railgun.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:05 am Reply with quote
Nocturne123 wrote:

I'm not double dipping when BD is the end game for physical anime distribution for the foreseeable future. I have an HDTV, I have a BD player, I don't need to buy the DVD and hope/wait that a BD comes along some day and then wind up with a DVD I probably never opened but have to now sell. Is that acting entitled? I don't care, I can wait for a BD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2