• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, March 25-31

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hpulley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:35 am Reply with quote
LoveLive! pouring it on now!

Little Busters! 4 doing well though IIRC a drop from previous volume. Hard to say without the DVD numbers if it is beating To-Love Ru Trouble Darkness.

Next beat Vividred in BD alone but Vividred still did fairly well so I'm pleased. Need DVD numbers to say for sure.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:42 am Reply with quote
Great to see Jojo's Bizarre Adventure doing so well. I can't believe this hasn't been licensed yet.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:50 am Reply with quote
Vividred's DVD sales were below even that of Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb fourth volume.

Didn't this show get ridiculously high ratings for its premier? What the hell happened?
誤称

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:09 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Vividred's DVD sales were below even that of Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb fourth volume.

Didn't this show get ridiculously high ratings for its premier? What the hell happened?

Lots of competition? It sold well, but had a really tough crowd to compete with....

I'm very glad to see Dog Days continuing to sell very well. Isn't this the second season so it should be listed as Dog Days'?

I'm kinda stunned that Steins Gate sold so few copies. Isn't this like the show that is going to save anime? Or is it just terribly over-popular in the West?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:22 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

It basically started with lots of hype but ended up being a big disappointment.
誤称

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:28 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Polycell wrote:

It basically started with lots of hype but ended up being a big disappointment.

I disagree with that. Yes, it was overhyped, but it delivered exactly what it promised. Service-y magical girl stuff. It ended up being more of the same from the people who made Strike Witches, only slightly less creative.

It wasn't the next Nanoha or Precure, but it was solid magical fare. It was far more enjoyable than Madoka Magica.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:36 am Reply with quote
You might disagree with it personally, but thats the main sentiment. Many people felt it didn't live up to Strike Witches, and thus they stopped watching it and they didn't go out and buy it in the numbers people were originally expecting.

誤称 wrote:
I'm kinda stunned that Steins Gate sold so few copies. Isn't this like the show that is going to save anime? Or is it just terribly over-popular in the West?

Nearly 5k for a BD box is great. Those BD boxes are generally just thrown together fast to earn a few extra sales while the anime is still popular... most struggle to sell 1-2k.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:54 am; edited 2 times in total
誤称

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:51 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
You might disagree with it personally, but thats the main sentiment. Many people felt it didn't live up to Strike Witches, and thus they stopped watching it and they didn't go out and buy it in the numbers people were originally expecting.

誤称 wrote:

Nearly 5k for a BD box is great. Those BD boxes are generally just thrown together fast to earn a few extra sales while the anime is still popular... most struggle to sell 1-2k.

So basically this is the same sort of thing as a complete collection in the west?

And yes, Vividred was not as sharp as Strike Witches was. The whole mythology behind SW was brilliant. I'd love to see more of it. And it did take a few episodes to build up to the best parts of the show. Once the green and black girls showed up and became more active in the story, it got so much better.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:52 am Reply with quote
I guess not even an uncensored vividblue managed to bolster sales
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:56 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
誤称 wrote:

So basically this is the same sort of thing as a complete collection in the west?

Basically, yeah. Its like half the price, but anyone who bought the original release likely won't get it, so its basically just aimed at the few stragglers who never bought the anime the first time around.
hpulley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:23 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I guess not even an uncensored vividblue managed to bolster sales

Just wait, uncensored Vivid Yellow Himawari just might... Wink Kidding, sadly sales never pick up like that.

Anyone who really wants to see that should get the Dakara Boku Ha H Ga Dekinai episode 13 OVA. No need to freeze frame that one like Vividred, it is pure ecchi fanservice from start to finish.
Annf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:35 am Reply with quote
I'm going to buy Haganai NEXT, but they still haven't got any sample images of the store bonus items that Buriki is drawing, for Animate, Gamers, Tora no Ana, and Sofmap. So I haven't bought vol. 1 yet, because I don't know which store I want to get it from. I wonder how many others are waiting on that.

Last edited by Annf on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
SunnyJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:40 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

The show did start out strong, it had beautiful animation, a potential for a good story, a really good (and service filled) first episode, and... well, the butt shots (to name a few). However, the hype for it slowly died off the further into the season. This is likely due to the story being sub par, cliche, and (imo) boring after a while. TBH, it was pretty much a rehash of big points from other series put into one. And I wouldn't even consider it mahou shoujo, its more like mech shoujo...

On top of that, it had good, frankly better, competition for the season (a season of average, nothing exceptionally stellar imo) with Kotoura-san, Mondajitashi, Love Live, AKB0048, Sakurasou, and OreShura to name a few...

As one of my friends put it, this is basically what it felt like:
"Quick, someone whip up a story so we can have gay magical girls. That's in right now, and there's already like 2 idol shows this season GOOGOGOGOOGO"

It felt thrown together and not well developed. This is why it ended up flopping like it did.
bhl88

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
It was far more enjoyable than Madoka Magica.

Iyea (Madoka did have fewer fanservice).
Ulinox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
Curious how the next Jojo box will do, as part 2 starts from #4.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2