• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Drop It Like It's Hot

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
Im not particularly happy where sports anime and manga lies, I wish it were a little bit more popular. Id love to get Big windup on my bookshelf but because sports manga and anime aren't setting the charts ablaze i doubt i will, I bought the first season of the anime when funi released it and still have it to this day as it survived my big anime fire sale but i remember a funi rep saying that there was no chance of them releasing season 2.

Also i think the time for someone to pick up the Hajime no ippo manga has gone, considering its near 100 volumes long last i checked I doubt anyone could afford to license it even if they had the grapes to attempt it.

Oh and I love American football (vikings fan), its a big turn based strategy game and stuff like Oofuri and cross game have me interested in baseball though with the sheer amount of games to follow its not spectator freindly to a guy like me who has to stay up all night to be able to watch em (if i can find a channel that shows em even)
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote
Sports anime is weird for me. I'm a huge sports fan (NFL, MLB and NBA), and I watch nearly all my local team games... but I really have little interest in sports anime. I dunno, maybe its just because I know the "Good guys" will win so it takes all the suspense out of it.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Sports anime is weird for me. I'm a huge sports fan (NFL, MLB and NBA), and I watch nearly all my local team games... but I really have little interest in sports anime. I dunno, maybe its just because I know the "Good guys" will win so it takes all the suspense out of it.

you'd be surprised by a few of em
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
I find myself really enjoying the drama CDs I find, though there's no demand for them here, which means there's no easy way to get them, and importing them is... well, sometimes, I have to pay for food, too.

I especially like the few cases where the Drama CDs are more than just kooky side stories, and actually add something to the show, or adapt more of the original work. I'd argue that the drama CDs for the show Mushi-Uta were actually much better than the anime. A Fate/Zero drama CD helped give context to the relationship between Kiritsugu and Irisviel.
thenix

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
I'm a huge fan of sports manga, and also of real sports. (Along with computers, role playing and nerdy things too) I don't think my love for sports manga and sports are related necessarily. Sports manga I like for the tension and drama. Many sports manga doesn't have their team winning every game, and even within the team there are characters to root for, some that end up sitting the bench and just a lot of depth that you can take into a series. The only sports manga I read that I thought was drawn out too much was slam dunk. It was a long series and then I realized it covered like 6 basketball games in that whole time.

BTW I usually equate being a fan of pro wrestling to liking sports manga. Sure pro wrestling is fake (I hope I don't need to put that in spoiler tags) but because it's fake you can build a good storyline and create good matches. Compared to UFC where matches last 30 seconds and there isn't much build-up or hype. Plus those really are 200lb people flipping about in the ring.
thenix

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:55 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I find myself really enjoying the drama CDs I find, though there's no demand for them here, which means there's no easy way to get them, and importing them is... well, sometimes, I have to pay for food, too.

I especially like the few cases where the Drama CDs are more than just kooky side stories, and actually add something to the show, or adapt more of the original work. I'd argue that the drama CDs for the show Mushi-Uta were actually much better than the anime. A Fate/Zero drama CD helped give context to the relationship between Kiritsugu and Irisviel.

The 3rd OST for FLCL has a radio drama between songs. It's fun but I wish I understood what they were saying to make it better
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, stop the clock! HBO's doing a Monster adaptation? How the hell did I miss that?
David.Seth

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, stop the clock! HBO's doing a Monster adaptation? How the hell did I miss that?

Here is the ANN article about it:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-04-24/guillermo-del-toro-develops-monster-manga-as-possible-hbo-show
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
There's definitely a disconnect between shows being watched and shows being bought: One Outs, Giant Killing, Ippo, and others seem to have as decent a following as any other anime. Maybe there's less rewatch value when you already know the outcomes?

I think we need a One Outs version of football, not wacky shounen hijinks Eyeshield. Surprisingly, gridiron is growing in Japan; they play it horrendously from the footage I've seen, but it's nice to see it being played at all at the university level.

As a side, I love that Japan primarily refers to association football as soccer (サッカー), just to add more fuel to that debate.

And on the nerd/jock dichotomy, there's tons to nerd out about in sports. Facts, figures, percentages, math, calculus, physics, business, economics, player value, you name it. Are they playing sports? Did they ever? You don't have to the sporty type to enjoy watching sports.

Quote:
There was never such a thing to begin with, just a series of stereotypes left over from crappy 80's movies and sitcoms.

You've never met meatheads? There's tons of stereotypical braindead sports players without an ounce of real tangible intelligence. I worked at dorms full of them. The nerdiest stuff they did was play sports games or maybe Call of Duty. Although, there is that one newly drafted player to the Texans named Brennan Williams. Guy loves K-ON, and calls himself the GreatBlackOtaku.

https://twitter.com/GREATBLACKOTAKU
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I'd watch sports anime more if there was some neat gimmick to it, like with Dragon League. Despite that though, I was trying to get into Prince of Tennis when it aired on Toonami, but it was pulled before I had a chance to really digest much of the show.
foxinthestars

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of those who's not a sports person --- indeed I might be an anti-sports person --- but sometimes I like sports anime. Chihayafuru is one of my favorites, and it's a sport although it's not your average sport; I could maybe imagine myself playing karuta. I also really like Kuroko's Basketball, even though it still can't persuade me to give a whit about real-live basketball. The one trouble I do have with a lot of sports anime/manga is the "escalation into absurdity" that they can fall prey to; I finally had to drop Prince of Tennis because it just got too crazy for me.

The matter of "dropping" something and the new Answerfan question kind of cross over for me; I'm not really qualified to answer the question because I've pretty much "dropped" American live-action TV shows, and it's like you say with people like your friend; I've just gotten in the habit of going to Crunchyroll rather than the TV when I want to watch something. In the past I've loved Babylon 5, Highlander, Star Trek, etc., but maybe because I've gotten out of the habit and grown away from it, commercials for live action shows tend not to excite me, the form and style aren't what I'm used to making space for, so I end up not watching. As such I would have no idea what network would be appropriate for what and couldn't even guarantee that I would tune in.

Abstractly, there are cases where I think a good adaptation could be great. Like Moribito; it's an awesome yet accessible fantasy epic that I think would lend itself relatively well to live-action (and maybe then I could know what happens past book 2!). Or Hyouka, a slice-of-life/mystery show that's engaging with a good mix of humor and character drama (although I would miss the wonderful animated reasoning sequences if they didn't somehow translate). Those are both based on books, though, um... Good shoujo stuff like Say "I Love You" would translate well...

Just as often, though, I go through my watched list and see cases where I think adapting to live action would be a disservice to the story --- like Someday's Dreamers 2: Sora really relies on the "magic realism" effect, and if the magic looked like SFX it would wreck the whole atmosphere. A lot of others run into similar problems: it's amazing what they can do with special effects these days, but they can't make it look natural in context the way animation/anime can.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Although, there is that one newly drafted player to the Texans named Brennan Williams. Guy loves K-ON, and calls himself the GreatBlackOtaku.

I love this guys twitter since I discovered it after the draft. Never before would I of thought there'd be a guy in the NFL tweeting about moe and K-On girls
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Although, there is that one newly drafted player to the Texans named Brennan Williams. Guy loves K-ON, and calls himself the GreatBlackOtaku.

Well well he's just got a new follower lol.

Apparently American football is taking off in china now too, im always happy to hear of it being taken up in other territories. We get 2 games in london this year (still cant afford to go) and its cool and all but they need to stop talking about trying to set up a london team and try and get a UK league going instead, there were a few brits in the draft this year, one was drafted by the raiders.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:45 pm Reply with quote
So, HBO's adaptation of Monster has been confirmed/green lit? I cannot say I have much expectations of it, I just hope it is as faithful as possible to the source material. I also want non manga/anime fans to find out about the stories that these mediums can produce.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
So, HBO's adaptation of Monster has been confirmed/green lit? I cannot say I have much expectations of it, I just hope it is as faithful as possible to the source material. I also want non manga/anime fans to find out about the stories that these mediums can produce.

yeah im sure you'd get the same look i get from people when i tell em that road to perdition was from a comic book.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5