• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Sols to Stream, Take DVD Pledges on Black Jack TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:48 am Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:

On a semi-related note, that's why I sincerely hope that the original Casshern series does eventually go to Discotek rather than Anime Sols; as at least I can buy such DVDs from Amazon, etc. Those harsh realities go both ways.

Once our anime DVD box sets are created, any left over from the original print run will be sold at normal online stores like Rightstuf/Amazon, so even if it's Anime Sols if it meets the goal you will probably be able to import it.
NeySnow

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:52 am Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
blaizevincent wrote:
I understand that's why what bugs me is why not license for the UK and AU/NZ.

As another UK fan, I totally sympathise, but by now it's clear the trouble going the extra length to cover the UK and Australia/New Zealand markets is not offset by the likely return, otherwise Toei, et. al. would have sanctioned their streams to be worldwide long ago.

I too would dearly love to contribute towards any solid media release of classic and classic-themed series such as Black Jack, but at this point all we can hope for is a private proxy industry to develop to overcome the latest round of regional licensing restrictions and allow us to purchase any DVDs through that route.

It's hardly ideal, but I don't see there being much other choice if you want such shows in English on disc?

On a semi-related note, that's why I sincerely hope that the original Casshern series does eventually go to Discotek rather than Anime Sols; as at least I can buy such DVDs from Amazon, etc. Those harsh realities go both ways.

Actually yeah, I'd like more companies like Discotek to crop up, even one more company like that to help get these on amazon. At least we can buy them directly then.

^ Do you think its likely that successful shows will have much left over? Isn't it likely they would mostly be sold out upon the show being funded?
Bamble

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:07 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Once our anime DVD box sets are created, any left over from the original print run will be sold at normal online stores like Rightstuf/Amazon, so even if it's Anime Sols if it meets the goal you will probably be able to import it.

Well, that told me! Smile

Seriously though, that's quite a comfort. Since being burned on certain classic series going OOP quite quickly (Dunbine, City Hunter, Maison Ikkoku), I've made a point of grabbing any such releases as soon as I can from anywhere I can, like the ImaginAsian DVDs from a few years back!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:16 am Reply with quote
So is this like another [sorta] kickstarter project? This sounds like a good deal as long as people are interested. I enjoyed the series but never had the chance to finish watching. But I'd be interested in getting in on this. Tezuka anime is always a good thing.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:16 am Reply with quote
NeySnow wrote:

^ Do you think its likely that successful shows will have much left over? Isn't it likely they would mostly be sold out upon the show being funded?

Actually quite the contrary. As I stated on the podcast the goals will be around $15-20K, and at $40 minimum pledge for a box-set that's 375-450 pre-orders. So there will be at least half left when the goal is met.

That doesn't mean that the other 500 might not sell out before we print the discs, but if that's the case then we'll do a larger print run.
The only things you'll really be missing out on is the special perks for pledging.
It's not that likely we'll do a second print run however, unless we seriously underestimate the demand. Since we have to pay royalty costs up front as per Japanese law, it's quite risky to do extra print runs and have too many left over.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:54 am Reply with quote
Man, I really hope this initiative is a success. Anything that might bring titles to the market that otherwise wouldn't see the light of day is aces with me.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote
Hey Sam, I didn't have time to listen to the podcast and I didn't see this question asked anywhere else, so perhaps you could clarify for me.

Have you guys considered adding "stretch goals" for titles that fund completely rather quickly? Such as adding special features or - MAYBE - producing an English dub? I know dubs can be expensive, but I think it's worth a shot to offer the option if the fans want it bad enough.

Personally, I don't mind most of the really old shows being sub-only, but in the case of Black Jack, I'd really like to see Kirk Thornton reprise the role, as it's one of my favorite performances by him.

I know it's asking a lot, but I do hope that you will consider it as a possibility. Very Happy
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:08 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Hey Sam, I didn't have time to listen to the podcast and I didn't see this question asked anywhere else, so perhaps you could clarify for me.

Have you guys considered adding "stretch goals" for titles that fund completely rather quickly? Such as adding special features or - MAYBE - producing an English dub? I know dubs can be expensive, but I think it's worth a shot to offer the option if the fans want it bad enough.

Personally, I don't mind most of the really old shows being sub-only, but in the case of Black Jack, I'd really like to see Kirk Thornton reprise the role, as it's one of my favorite performances by him.

I know it's asking a lot, but I do hope that you will consider it as a possibility. Very Happy

Currently we aren't set up for that, especially because people can't easily up their pledges (the support package options are fixed price) if we add a stretch goal.
Because we can't afford to risk any money on production, a stretch goal for an english dub of a 13 episode box set would literally quintuple the required goal to about $100,000, i.e. more than 2000 pre-orders to hit the goal + a much longer wait for the DVD sets to actually come out after pledging.
It's simply unrealistic. If a show can support a dub, it can almost surely be licensed through normal means.
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
blaizevincent wrote:

It's just so annoying as a Fan of Anime outside of America sometimes. We constantly get forgotten about and in the case of AnimeSols then i don't see why they didn't put the UK into the picture at the beginning. I would pledge the hell out of some of these shows but I'm blocked out. I get so frustrated by this happening all the time. I was very excited for this but no I wasn't born in north America so i can't be a part of it.

Just to correct, but Anime Sols is not licensing these shows. The rights holders are the Anime Sols LLP partners, so it's licensing them to ourselves.
The issue isn't the availability of UK or AUS rights, but rather the legal and tax liabilities from collecting funds from there for the purpose of producing a DVD.
By doing so we would be tacitly confirming that the DVD box sets are at least partially meant for sale within the UK/AUS, and that means we'd be obligated to go through all the approvals and ratings board requirements of both the UK and Australia or risk being in trouble with those governments. In addition we'd have to register our business in those countries as well and/or establish local branches which also would require us to file taxes in those countries
This costs a lot of money and man power we don't have at the moment. To say you've been forgotten is really not the case, I've done significant research into launching in all english speaking territories and we simply didn't have the budget for it to start. This isn't a project with a ton of money, or even much money at all to be honest Smile.

I still don't fully understand to be honest. I would still be importing the product eventually. If I buy a product from Rightstuf for example and they send it to me they aren't paying any taxes in the UK. And any import Taxes are paid by me. Is there seriously no way for you guys to accept pledges from other countries and then send the product out to us. I just don't see the difference between that and importing a set as a pledge is a pre order really.

Honestly i get why the business is America only but to shut out prospective buyers of the DVD sets I still don't see why thats needed. I mean i have an American post Box if sending it internationally is the problem. I'm a big collector and I want to support this venture and pledge for DVD sets. I accept streaming might not be available, sucks but i get it.

Still though I don't see any business reason why you can't send me a Region 1 import set after i pledge. There is nothing in that that would leave you liable to pay tax in the UK. All 'm doing is pre ordering and then importing the set. Nothing else.

I just want to pledge to DVD sets, not watch Streams
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2