• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The World God Only Knows' 3rd Season to Cover Goddesses Arc

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:09 am Reply with quote
Given the kind of sale numbers the show has drummed up over time, I'm surprised it has gained a third season even still. Even with good reviews for the franchise and a fanbase, the estimates have got to be either pretty low or the producers/studio loves the show to bits.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't the series have to be longer than 12 episodes to cover the Goddesses arc? Wouldn't it take 12 episodes alone to even get to the Goddesses arc? I hope its at least 24 episodes or so, this is the kind of show that needs more.
kazziyan

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
Eh? They're going to skip a bunch of conquers then?

That's worrying enough.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Given the kind of sale numbers the show has drummed up over time, I'm surprised it has gained a third season even still. Even with good reviews for the franchise and a fanbase, the estimates have got to be either pretty low or the producers/studio loves the show to bits.

If it's Manglobe doing the third season like they did the first two then there were never any expectations of sales. I don't think Manglobe has ever even produced a minor hit (~5k average sales) yet they continue to survive somehow.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:53 am Reply with quote
Wait, what. How?! There are few short arcs that can be skipped, but there's still a good amount of ground to cover (at least 2 arcs of moderate length HAVE to get covered before doing the goddess arc), and the goddess arc is massively long (longer than everything covered by the anime thus far, I think).

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Wed May 15, 2013 1:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:58 am Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
Wouldn't the series have to be longer than 12 episodes to cover the Goddesses arc? Wouldn't it take 12 episodes alone to even get to the Goddesses arc? I hope its at least 24 episodes or so, this is the kind of show that needs more.

So the girls previewed at the end of the second season have nothing to do with this "goddesses arc"? It would totally suck to skip them after teasing their appearances.
zmx2513

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
By Goddes arc does that include the spoiler[Haqua tortured] scene?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:07 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:

So the girls previewed at the end of the second season have nothing to do with this "goddesses arc"? It would totally suck to skip them after teasing their appearances.

Tenri does, but her arc has already been covered in a two-episode OVA. I think an OVA covered another girl's short arc too. As for arcs beyond that, some arcs do, some don't. I don't want to say or hint which since that's kinda major spoilers.

zmx2513 wrote:
By Goddes arc does that include the spoiler[Haqua tortured] scene?

It should, yes. Also, use spoiler tags.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:23 am Reply with quote
The Tenri arc has been covered, but none of the other arcs for the girls shown at the end of season 2 have been covered. I imagine they will spend the first 12 episodes to cover the other girls, and the last 12 to cover the Goddesses Arc, of course this is assuming that it will be longer than 12 episodes. I haven't read the manga, but I do have some knowledge of the series, so I can understand how important some of the female characters are, and how they need to be introduced.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:28 am Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
The Tenri arc has been covered, but none of the other arcs for the girls shown at the end of season 2 have been covered. I imagine they will spend the first 12 episodes to cover the other girls, and the last 12 to cover the Goddesses Arc, of course this is assuming that it will be longer than 12 episodes. I haven't read the manga, but I do have some knowledge of the series, so I can understand how important some of the female characters are, and how they need to be introduced.

I don't remember which girls were teased at the end of season 2 other than Tenri and the girl covered in the other OVA. There are several short capture arcs that could and probably will be skipped.

(Edit: Okay, I went and checked on CR. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were skipped, but they're also all very short arcs and could be done in 1 episode each, max. So it's not much to do them, but when they have such a massive amount of material to cover....)

12 is really not a enough for the goddess arc. It's loooooong. But 12 is also probably more than necessary for the stuff leading up to it. One cour seems completely out of the question but two is probably doable.

I looked at the chapters covered. The Goddess Arc covers roughly chapters 120-190. The first two anime seasons covered roughly to chapter 40, while the three OVA episodes selectively cover events up to chapter 65. That leaves nearly 60 chapters before the Goddess arc starts, and a good chunk of it NEEDS to be covered.

I guess it *might* be possible to cover the required arcs between Tenri and Goddess in about 6-7 episodes and then cover the Godess arc in about 18 episodes. That would be rushing things, especially those pre-Goddess parts, but it's probably doable without too much damage.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:46 am Reply with quote
Well I'm looking forward to this regardless of how much material will be skipped. Thank God I haven't read the manga yet so this is going to be a surprise for me this summer :3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:58 am Reply with quote
Looks like they want to "get to the good stuff" without laying the proper groundwork first by covering all the material. Can't say I'm too pleased about that.
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:19 am Reply with quote
They'll need to cover the conquest of at least two specific girls & maybe the introduction of a third before the Goddesses arc can start.
Little_Hawk

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:14 am Reply with quote
The author may write a new scenario instead of following the manga closely to make things fit
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:34 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:

I don't remember which girls were teased at the end of season 2 other than Tenri and the girl covered in the other OVA. There are several short capture arcs that could and probably will be skipped.

Ramen girl, Shogi Girl, Aoi's big sister, Luna (I think that's her name), old lady girl, girl who meets Keima at the swimming pool... Yeah. Gonna miss a lot of conquests. Too bad, ramen girl and Luna were some of my favorites.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2