• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Panty & Stocking Blu-ray Box to Have English Dub, Subs

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Khooni

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:52 am Reply with quote
i'm gonna start praying and hope that japanese release their future anime with english dubs Laughing
Banken

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:55 am Reply with quote
Ghibli DVDs have had the English/French dubs for a while now.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:37 am Reply with quote
Khooni wrote:
i'm gonna start praying and hope that japanese release their future anime with english dubs Laughing

This is becoming a more common practice with complete sets as Japan are fearful of cross-importation, so seem to have started adding subs + dub hoping for the reverse, ie westerners importing the Japanese sets.
It also wouldn't shock me if this was native HD and Japan screwed FUNimation over by providing SD masters.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:43 am Reply with quote
From what I can tell, our BD set from FUNimation actually has MORE special features (English cast interviews, bloopers, etc.) than this one does.

So except for the packaging and the bonus CD, there's really no reason for anyone to buy it over the FUNi set. MAYBE it would've been a better idea to have put this out a year ago, methinks. Confused
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:15 am Reply with quote
But are they the subs the FUNimation uses or new subs?

Brains Base did this with the Baccano! Blu-ray, can anyone confirm if that released used new subs?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:40 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
From what I can tell, our BD set from FUNimation actually has MORE special features (English cast interviews, bloopers, etc.) than this one does.

So except for the packaging and the bonus CD, there's really no reason for anyone to buy it over the FUNi set. MAYBE it would've been a better idea to have put this out a year ago, methinks. Confused

It was never much of a hit in Japan (only sold like 2k), so they're probably just taking the American materials and re-releasing it. It didn't really warrant all the work to re-release it on its own.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:28 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Khooni wrote:

This is becoming a more common practice with complete sets as Japan are fearful of cross-importation, so seem to have started adding subs + dub hoping for the reverse, ie westerners importing the Japanese sets.
It also wouldn't shock me if this was native HD and Japan screwed FUNimation over by providing SD masters.
''

You seriously believe that someone in the USA would prefer to pay $270 plus shipping for something they can get locally for $40????
Ryasha

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Khooni wrote:

''

You seriously believe that someone in the USA would prefer to pay $270 plus shipping for something they can get locally for $40????

It happens. I know some people who refuse to buy locally and will pay those kinds of prices to import since it makes them feel that they are giving more to the studios who made the series.
One or two of them even go with the "I would rather pay more to import it than buy it locally since the latter means I am in support of the dub." mindset.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:40 am Reply with quote
Are PS&G's Japanese fans enthusiastic about the English dub?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:39 am Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Khooni wrote:

''

Serial Experiments Lain.
Annf

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:04 am Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Khooni wrote:

''

There are a number of reasons to buy Japanese releases over U.S. ones, but you really need to know Japanese to take advantage of a lot of them, so subtitles on just the main show video is iffy. Some people do buy Japanese releases sort of as trophies and/or a form of "voting" though.

There's a list over on Mania/AoD of issues with North American releases over the years. Some them are petty, but that's collectors for you:
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=2011076&postcount=17
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
didn't funi already release the bd box :S
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:34 am Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:

Maybe. It is contoured after US comedy.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:55 am Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:

The series didn't exactly sell in Japan to begin with.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:00 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
didn't funi already release the bd box :S

They did. I actually waited for the bd version.

Maybe by putting more crap into the box set, the re-release is trying to enforce a "High price = better series" mentality, a last-ditch effort to recoup more money.

Who knows. The figures seem to do a better job of selling out than the series did.

Maybe they should re-release those instead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1