• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell Arise Anime Short Promotes Microsoft Tablets

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote
*Putting on +7 Tinfoil Hat of Conspiracy*

Ah, so that explains GitS: Arise; it's a Microsoft marketing campaign to gain better product and brand penetration in Japan! What's next, Motoko and Batou playing some silly Kinect game for the X1? This would also explain their decision to re-design her character, skewing her younger for their target demographics.
Helius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
Frankly I don't see why all the hate on the Surface (probably because they're all coming from Apple fanboys? Wink). As a PC user I'd love to get my hands on one and sooner or later people will upgrade to Win8 anyway.
blarg01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:53 pm Reply with quote
But Section 9 would never deploy a version 1.0 Microsoft product in their operations. Too many bugs, not enough flexibility!

With that said my experience with my own Surface RT leads me to believe that the keyboard magnets could conceivably work as advertised.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Helius wrote:
sooner or later people will upgrade to Win8 anyway.

What are you basing that statement on?
Helius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
Helius wrote:

On the basis that Microsoft will eventually cease support for Win7 (in 2015), as they've already done for XP and Vista.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Helius wrote:
Helius wrote:

On the basis that Microsoft will eventually cease support for Win7 (in 2015), as they've already done for XP and Vista.

That's mainstream support. They'll continue extended support until 2020. By 2015, we'll likely have Windows 9 anyway, and by 2020, probably Windows 10. Most people I know won't touch 8 with a ten foot pole because it doesn't offer them any substantial gains over Windows 7.

Windows 8 failed to impress me in any way, and as I have a full retail version of Windows 7, I don't have to look at replacing the OS until it's out of extended support.
Bell02

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Helius wrote:
Helius wrote:

Like how Windows ME was a success too?

Razz Anyway, I like surface, but I can't recommend buying a generation 1 surface. I just hope MS really is serious with the device and gives a second generation RT and Pro that addresses their problems. (Like the battery life, the way weight is distributed especially shown when you hold it like a book, the stand not being adjustable, needing a table to use the keyboard, better place to put the pen, more memory, possible mobile graphics card, etc) Version 2 or 3 of the surface will be the hybrid to get!

This commercial was still cheese tastic though, and the idea of them using surface tablets, especially like that, feels really unbelievable in the GitS world.
Wooga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
What I get from this is that tablets are incredibly easy to steal/throw
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Helius wrote:

That's mainstream support. They'll continue extended support until 2020. By 2015, we'll likely have Windows 9 anyway, and by 2020, probably Windows 10. Most people I know won't touch 8 with a ten foot pole because it doesn't offer them any substantial gains over Windows 7.

And extended support for WinXP doesn't end till next year, after extending it 5 years from the previous 2009:
"Support for Windows XP is ending on April 8, 2014. If you're running this version after support ends, you won't get security updates for Windows."

Who knows yet when Vista support will end, despite Microsoft no longer acknowledges that it ever existed. Laughing

But Microsoft tend to have longer support cycles than say Apple since businesses tend to use PCs, and they don't turnover computers often and so want their computers to be supported for a long time. Also, doesn't it seem like Windows alternate between business-leaning (NT, XP, 7) and consumer-leaning (ME, Vista, 8).... Anyways, Win8 is really more useful if there's touchscreen where a separate mouse/keyboard is cumbersome; otherwise, mouse/keyboard is still faster.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:21 am Reply with quote
This is a sad day indeed for GitS...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:

Nah I'm sure they got a lotta money for it.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:47 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Kalessin wrote:

Nah I'm sure they got a lotta money for it.

Yeah, but to sell your soul... That's never a good thing. And it's not just Microsoft. It's a Microsoft tablet, one of the worst computing devices ever conceived. And they ruined Windows for the desktop in order to do it. Sad
GhostShell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:17 am Reply with quote
The Surface looks oddly out of place in the world of GITS. With the direct connectivity they've already got, it seems strange that the characters would have to externalise data in that fashion. I don't care much about the merchandise that's plugged, but I like the animation and I'm still really looking forward to the Arise addition to the GITS franchise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1