• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon Looking for Anime Product Manager

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Three+ years of trade show/event management experience - check
Thinking about a new job - check
Vaguely interested in finally Breaking Into the Industry (r) - check

. .. ...well, ****

...hell, now that I start thinking about it, even the 'Coordinate the daily marketing projects' bit doesn't sound too different from what I do at work as is!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Geneon Product Manager that certainly does have a nice ring to it when you tell someone your job title. Not only that it's sound very high and mighty people might think your some sort of ceo/co. I wonder what the pay would be like for this type of job, I know people are always looking to break into the anime industry but at what price? I have a feeling there may be another how do I get a job in the anime industry question for Answerman.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Product/Brand Manager is actually a standard like one-step-above-entry-level kind of title. I'd guess about $35-$40K, adjusted for location. When I started as a conference producer in New York, it was at $35.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:29 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw this, I thought it was saying a product manager for Geneon's website, monster.com (implying they licensed Monster) I almost started freaking out here at work! Laughing

I've never worked for an Anime company, but Product Manager, I thought, was a bit higher of a position. For instance, the large telecommunications company has entry level marketing positions, but those still require some experience and a degree. Moving up from there, you may be able to apply to be a Marketing Manager. Past that, you could apply for a Project Manager position. Above that would be a Product Manager. I would assume Product Managers make $45k-ish... but then again, this is telecom, not a niche entertainment company.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:17 am Reply with quote
Hmmnn... travel to the other side of the country to take a position that pays (probably) a little more than 10% of my current salary. While it does offer some additional potential, I don't think I'm willing to chance that on what additional side work I get in the commercial world at this moment in time.

I think I'll let this one go by... but thanks for the info Smile
daisuke_wto

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:47 am Reply with quote
wow I was expecting all the posts to look like Hi am 16 and have no job experience but own like 200 anime DVDs all fan subs ofcourse am so gonna get the job!!!
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:08 am Reply with quote
Bruce Lee wrote:
When I first saw this, I thought it was saying a product manager for Geneon's website, monster.com (implying they licensed Monster) I almost started freaking out here at work!
That kind of got me too. I was like, "what!? They are licensing Monster?" for a moment
daisuke_wto wrote:
wow I was expecting all the posts to look like Hi am 16 and have no job experience but own like 200 anime DVDs all fan subs ofcourse am so gonna get the job!!!
After all the trashing efforts by the fans of Zac/Answerman (the majority of whom, much like the popular columnist himself, finds those questions distracting) I think many of them are properly chastised from bothering the poor companies. For a while. Smile

Those times are quite funny for neutrally amused observers like me.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:39 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Samurai-with-glasses]After all the trashing efforts by the fans of Zac/Answerman (the majority of whom, much like the popular columnist himself, finds those questions distracting) I think many of them are properly chastised from bothering the poor companies. For a while. Smile

Those times are quite funny for neutrally amused observers like me.[/quote]

I'll do a re-post, since the first one mysterously vanished... since it wasn't nasty, I don't see why.

Anyway...

Have you guys ever run into one of these people who was serious AND had the previous experience to back the claim?

Yeah... me neither.

Though as I stated earlier (in the missing post), none on this side of the pond have quite reached the levels of GrantM, although I do give credit to many for trying Sad
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:33 pm Reply with quote
*will wait till they get around to needing people with degrees in writing*
Nabeshin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:27 am Reply with quote
The real challenge with the job is managing the con projects-- which means you'd likely be going to just about every major con, setting up, moving product-- and sitting behind the booth the entire time (or worse, standing). Confused
daxomni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Geneon Product Manager that certainly does have a nice ring to it when you tell someone your job title. Not only that it's sound very high and mighty people might think your some sort of ceo/co.

The title of “Manager” is typically used for middle-management, not upper management. Nobody in my office would be fooled into thinking you're high up the chain unless you have an easily recognized three-letter acronym or your title starts with "Director of....”

Bruce Lee wrote:
I've never worked for an Anime company, but Product Manager, I thought, was a bit higher of a position.

Yeah, it's a bit higher all right, a bit higher than Assistant Manager.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Nabeshin wrote:
The real challenge with the job is managing the con projects-- which means you'd likely be going to just about every major con, setting up, moving product-- and sitting behind the booth the entire time (or worse, standing). Confused

Soz for the late post on this one, but I second this comment... it's one of the least rewarded, yet most difficult jobs I've seen within any industry, let alone the anime industry (where most people work like manaics as it is already)

I take my hat off to those folks
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1