• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Profit Falls Again

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RezSav

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Why is it the good companies are the ones who get hurt the most?
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kahn also cited 4Kids's new strategy of owning a property rather than licensing it, which he said hurt short-term profits this quarter.

He further emphasized that 4Kids has no long term debt and retains $113.5 million "in the bank.

Makes ya wonder how much he good business he trying with that kind of statement....."our profits are down....but there going up" I like the nod to how much money is in that bank. It's like so what if this quarter wasn't that great I have 113.5 million IN THE BANK!
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
kei-clone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:20 pm Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:

since when has 4kids been a good company?! o_0
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:29 pm Reply with quote
kei-clone wrote:
RezSav wrote:

4kids is a good company for the same reason that I feel so sorry for Al Kahn in that he won't be able to justify a multi-million dollar bonus for himself.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Let's hope this serves as a lesson for other companies in the industry out there that the fans no longer are so forgiving in regards to unnecessary edits and modifications.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:47 pm Reply with quote
kei-clone wrote:
RezSav wrote:

since editing anime to make it look like crap was acceptable
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Finally,the evil 4kids empire is going to die.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:52 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:

QFT because I dislike those guys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:05 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:

That's the most outrageously biased otaku comment I have ever read, "naruto fan". You lot are bashing 4Kids solely on the failure of the One Piece dub, and conveniently forget they upgraded the anime market up from a "niche" to "mainstream", paving the way for other companies like FUNimation and Viz to make excellent and high quality shows.

4Kids' head was in the right place to realign One Piece for a child's demographic, though their efforts were disasterous. Incompetence is not a sin when the individual buyer has nothing to lose; 4Kids' only real problem is their hubris in delaying (or refusing) to release uncut subtitled One Piece DVDs. If they did that, they would be square with all the angered fans.

Less money means fewer available funds for financial "experiments", like said uncut DVDs. If 4Kids does well, the small hope of getting those DVDs increases.

Last edited by Malintex Terek on Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:06 pm Reply with quote
The drop in sales for TMNT merchandise doesn't bode too well for the new movie.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Hey,do not be attacking me like that. Face the facts,everything 4kids touch is crap. And your point that anime was not mainstream until 4kids came along is a lie!!! For Example shows like Dragonball Z and Yu Yu Haksho put Funimation on the map not 4kids. And to end with 4kids is just a serial anime rapist

Last edited by naruto fan 09812 on Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
naruto fan 09812 wrote:

That's the most outrageously biased otaku comment I have ever read, "naruto fan". You lot are bashing 4Kids solely on the failure of the One Piece dub, and conveniently forget they upgraded the anime market up from a "niche" to "mainstream", paving the way for other companies like FUNimation and Viz to make excellent and high quality shows.

4Kids' head was in the right place to realign One Piece for a child's demographic, though their efforts were disasterous. Incompetence is not a sin when the individual buyer has nothing to lose; 4Kids' only real problem is their hubris in delaying (or refusing) to release uncut subtitled One Piece DVDs. If they did that, they would be square with all the angered fans.

Less money means fewer available funds for financial "experiments", like said uncut DVDs. If 4Kids does well, the small hope of getting those DVDs increases.

To be frank, I'd never heard of 4kids until I came onto this forum. I knew of and watched Funimation, ADV, Pioneer/Geneon, Bandai etc. 4kids never in any way crossed my flight path. So for you to claim that 4kids put anime on the map is just wrong. If any American company is going to make that claim, I would vote for DIC or Saban who were around LONG before 4kids.
RyoShin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

I'll grant that they did do something for adding cred to mainstream anime by making Pokemon a number-one show, and taking over a few other shows.

But at this point, the industry had pretty much established itself by the time the One Piece dub was brought over. They took what was originally, as far as I know, a T-rated show and sliced it up, hoping to walk on the leftover remains to the bank. However, now that anime has established itself, the screams and bickering of anime fans the world over is heard much clearer; this is why we get uncut sets for anime like Naruto, and no-BS translations like Cowboy Bebop.

If 4kids wishes to keep destroying shows, especially very popular shows, then it has no place in today's anime industry, and it appears that the fans are voting with their dollars and stating as much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:31 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Hey,do not be attacking me like that. Face the facts,everything 4kids touch is crap.

That sounds an awful lot like an opinion.

naruto fan 09812 wrote:

And your point that anime was not mainstream until 4kids came along is a lie!!! For Example shows like Dragonball Z and Yu Yu Haksho put Funimation on the map not 4kids. And to end with 4kids is just a serial anime rapist

Dragonball Z did not become huge until it was broadcast (along with Sailor Moon) on Cartoon Network, while Pokemon was presented on the limited access KidsWB around the same time. Which franchise exponentially exploded, such that even mainstream comedians like Bill Cosby heard of and took cracks at the enormously popular show?

LydiaDianne wrote:

To be frank, I'd never heard of 4kids until I came onto this forum.

Sheltered? Or perhaps you should read credits more often. Real people make fake shows, you know.

LydiaDianne wrote:

I knew of and watched Funimation, ADV, Pioneer/Geneon, Bandai etc. 4kids never in any way crossed my flight path. So for you to claim that 4kids put anime on the map is just wrong. If any American company is going to make that claim, I would vote for DIC or Saban who were around LONG before 4kids.

Right, since you've never heard of 4Kids, I must be wrong. What impeccable logic. Let us also not forget that Saban's last major anime hit, Digimon, was licensed as a response to Pokemon.
kei-clone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
naruto fan 09812 wrote:

4kids did not make anime mainstream, 4kids made Pokemon mainstream. While I can't say that they did not handle Pokemon well, if anything what they did to the face of anime is turn it into a children's market.

it is much more plausible to say that coming of anime that did not come out of the pokemon cookie-cutter came because of the advent of bittorrent

Malintex Terek wrote:

Sheltered? Or perhaps you should read credits more often. Real people make fake shows, you know.

who's the sheltered one who thinks One Piece is the only anime that 4kids hacked to pieces? let's not forget shaman king, mew mew pow...ahem, tokyo mew mew, yugioh...

you should read credits as well, but perhaps this can be excused. as the great al kahn one stated, "U.S. kids don't read!"

Last edited by kei-clone on Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10