• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Severing Crime Edge Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this review enjoyed describing the anime almost as much as the anime enjoyed fetishism. I found the series excelled at atmosphere but less so at story and character. It was far from terrible, but nothing special outside of how edgy and sexual everything was.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
This review is rather late, and only of the first half even though the entire show has been released and on Crunchyroll. Was the review kicking around the queue for too long or something?

jymmy wrote:
Wow, this review enjoyed describing the anime almost as much as the anime enjoyed fetishism. I found the series excelled at atmosphere but less so at story and character. It was far from terrible, but nothing special outside of how edgy and sexual everything was.

Agreed. It was interesting in how relatively unusual it was, and its take on fetishism is pretty rare (most shows just use it for throwaway gags and nothing more). I too liked the atmosphere, and the idea about a woman's hair being her life and therefore cutting it 'kills' her was fascinating. The lead couple had some great chemistry. But the plot was ridiculous, the general writing and direction left a lot to be desired, and every character not called Iawai and Kiri wasn't all that well realised (though Yamane was pretty huggable, which helps).

I ended up rating the overall show as Decent, which is about a straight C. Given how many issues it has, that isn't a bad grade.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of the manga, I had some good expectations for the series but then....it ultimately turned out to be mediocre for me as well. Surprisingly though, I found the OST to be quite brilliant but not so much for the plot or characters.

Oh and spoiler[Iwai and Airi should of kissed in the finale Crying or Very sad]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
halochief_90

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I had to finish watching the last half of this series while I was doing house work. I guess I found the first episode promising and the main romance was well done... at first.

It's interesting the review mentions the sexual overtones of the needles. The show even went so far as to sensor many of needle scenes - and as a result created some unintentionally hilarious moments!
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
This is probably the review that is closest to my opinions on the show. It's certainly not the best show ever, but it was one I enjoyed watching quite greatly.

I like the way the relationship between the Author and Instead is portrayed. Each one seems different from the last, and can show all the different forms love can take.

The relationship between Iwai and Kiri was refreshing, and I liked the way the hair metaphor was used as a key focus in their relationship.

This will never be main stream, and I doubt a second season will ever come to fruition, but I would certainly watch it!
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:45 am Reply with quote
I considered watching this one, but ultimately I never did. I think what caused me to back out from watching was just that the male lead seems kind of creepy to me. Not really sure how to explain it, but there is just a strange contrast between this extremely cute and innocent loli-ish female lead and this weird creepy looking male lead that made me feel kind of meh. Maybe if the male lead was a shota or something, I donno. I still think its strange that we rarely ever see a loli and shota as main leads in the same show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1