• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best of 2012: TV- "New" and "Complete" [sic]

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Your favorite "New" Anime that "completed" in 2012
Another
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Black Rock Shooter
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Chihayafuru
18%
 18%  [ 12 ]
Chūnibyō Demo Koi ga Shitai!
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Daily Lives of High School Boys
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Future Diary
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Humanity Has Declined
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Hyouka
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Kids on the Slope
18%
 18%  [ 12 ]
Kuroko's Basketball
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
My Little Monster
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mysterious Girlfriend X
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Sankarea
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Say, "I Love You"
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sword Art Online
12%
 12%  [ 8 ]
Tari Tari
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Waiting in the Summer
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
*Other* (Please BOLD and mention below)
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 64

Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
You can never please everyone, but I decided to create a couple polls for Best of 2012.

Looking at the best rated shows of the year I just kept finding problems with creating one poll list for 2012. So I'm making two.

The other poll contains shows that will be continuing into 2013 (Space Bothers, Psycho-Pass, Magi, Hunter X Hunter).

This poll is for shows that were entirely shown in 2012, finished in 2012 (Future Diary), or whose first installment was in or finished in 2012, even if more is planned (Chihayafuru). I don't think I listed any of the sort that have complete TV runs but will be formally completed on DVD or soon with just a coouple episodes, if you want to choose one of those as your "other" (Kokoro Connect, Saki:Side A) I guess I'd put them here rather than in the other poll.

So they were "new" in 2012 (even if they began in 2011) and "complete" even if sequels are planned or expected.

I'm sure there will be disagreements with which 19 shows I chose (love or hate), but that's why I included an "other" option. (I wanted to include avery ecchi show but the highest rated was HS D&D and I just couldn't decide if that was the best choice)
It's also quite possible that I simply missed an obvious choice by stupidity and/or the genre tool not showing it (I realized that Saki Side A wasn't listed- because it's page lists no genres)

*If any shows get repeatedly mentioned in the discussion as #1 choices, I'll edit this post and place them at the top of this post.*

I determined the list by using ANN's genre search tool and chose the highest rated shows, with some exceptions. I took out a couple I thought were highly rated but I personally thought might not get many #1 votes and included a couple more choices that I thought have dedicated fans that might vote for the show (BRS, MGX).
It is definitely not my personal top 20 for the year and the high score of a couple frankly surprised me.

I used the titles in the poll as listed by ANN, even if another title is as, or more, common.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
And yes, I voted Mysterious Girlfriend X. The Spring season was definitely the best season for me and had 3 "Excellent" rated shows. Initially I had Lupin III and Kids on the Slope rated higher but MGX is the one I seem to have the greatest lingering attachment for. SPittle and all.

...and I just realized I put the Lupin III series here instead of in the franchise poll. Oh well, it's such an original story it comes off more as a reboot than a continuing franchise story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Aww crap, I accidentally voted for Mysterious Girlfriend X. Don't get me wrong, I love that show, it's easily in my top ten - and maybe even top five - of the year. But my absolute favourite show is Chihayafuru. It is very rare to have a two-cour show so consistently good, even the recap episode was funny. When the second season was announced I was over the moon. Loveable characters, superb drama, great karuta action (I never thought I'd say that before the show aired), a positive soundtrack and absolutely gorgeous visuals.

Honourable mentions are Bakuman 2 (finished in Winter) which was so good it gave me chills, and Binbou-gami ga! (Summer), which was absolutely hilarious and had the perfect mix of drama and comedy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:42 am Reply with quote
It was a hard choice, but I voted Black Rock Shooter, it just felt like a favourite complete anime for me this year, ecen if it was shorter than other series. I am actually rewatching my copy of it right now, I really enjoyed it.

But I also quite liked Haiyore Nyaruko-san, but that was not one of the choices. Had the comedy aspect that I like.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I was torn between two choices: My little Monster and Chihayafuru, but I voted for the last one. dtm42 described accurately why I like Chihayafuru so much. Both series have fun, lovely characters with their own flaws.
My Little Monster hasn't finished yet, but I hope a second season will come, focussing more on Sasayan and especially on more development from Haru. I love the humor in this series and the honesty of its characters.

Other shows I thought were really good:
Another: I'm always hesitant to watch horror shows, not because I think I'll be afraid - quite the contrary. I'm always worried I'll look in embarrassment at the screen because the scene in particular which was supposed to scare me looks so fake and staged.
But I accepted Another for what it was (it's actually easier for me with animation) and loved the mystery, chilly atmosphere, sound (minus opening theme, mind you) and animation. They sure fooled me when the spoiler[initial premise wasn't] what I thought it would be. As the series progressed, the characters came alive and became more likable. It started a bit too slow and in the end some might think the spoiler[bloody and gory scenes] became a little too much, but I loved the ride.
Tari Tari: Also a slow starter with a relatively dull premise if you don't like choral stuff, but the show really improved with its drama and characters. I liked the way the characters had to face tough issues in a more mature way.
and also: Natsume Yuujinchou Shi, Kokoro Connect, Humanity has Declined, Kids on the Slope and Blast of Tempest. These aren't even all the shows I followed and liked (some are close to ending, haven't made a final judgment about them yet). So, a really strong year for me. Haven't even watched all I deemed moderately interesting and which were valued highly by others.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. Sherlock.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Milky Holmes? as a sequel that would go in the other poll. But whatever.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:05 am Reply with quote
It's probably a 4-way tie between:

Accel World
Another
Black Rock Shooter
Inu X Boku SS

...since I didn't watch any masterpieces this year, so I had to go with the next rank down. Several of the ones I'm still watching from this year have the potential to be though.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:07 am Reply with quote
I voted for Chihayafuru, pretty much for the same reasons as dtm, but there were a few other shows I really enjoyed this year.

Kids on the Slope was excellent, although I did think the girls could've been handled better. Other than that, what's not to love about a 60's jazz coming of age story?

Natsume Yuujinchou continues to be excellent. A rare example of me preferring the anime over the manga, largely due to the pacing. I feel the manga is probably best enjoyed 1 chapter a month in magazine form rather than several chapters at once in book form.

The Bakuman anime takes the best bits of the manga and goes far with them. It avoids the walls of text problem which the manga has, but still keeps the show interesting.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I voted for Another. It's tied for my favorite horror anime. As others mentioned, the way it tricks you with the premise and the twist at the end are both very good. Dusk Maiden of Amnesia gets an honorable mention for being so funny and endearing.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:48 am Reply with quote
Where in the world is Tsuritama? It was probably my second favorite show of 2012 after Chihayafuru, and the most accessible work by Nakajima Kenji since Mononoke. As Sakamichi no Apollon headed downhill in the latter half, its noitaminA companion Tsuritama got better and better. It was consistently entertaining and even instructive at times when it discussed angling techniques.

While I tend to dramas, I'd also endorse Kamisama Hajimemashita, a cute shoujo confection with a very winning main pair.

Also, out of curiosity, why am I not able to vote in this poll? I only see results. Ah, I see. This poll was created in December. I thought it was created in response to this thread.
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:38 am Reply with quote
Sword Art Online is quite good, but not the best...Thank you...
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Ohmygod, I love this forum. I agree with the top two choices in the poll, Kids on the Slope and Chihayafuru. Very Happy
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Milky Holmes? as a sequel that would go in the other poll. But whatever.

Sherlock BBC. That was a terrible year in anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1