• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Santa Company Anime Film Fails to Meet Crowdfunding Goal

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
OUCH, Just short of the goal, too. Anime hyper

At least they aren't stopping there, though. Menas they have other plans, which is always a good sign.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:39 am Reply with quote
They should try kickstarter
partially

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:41 am Reply with quote
I would say they just need to get word around more. Which isn't easy of course. The successful projects on Kickstarter are only successful through word of mouth, not from Kickstarter itself. The vast majority of Kickstarter pledgers are linked in from somewhere else, with very few finding projects through the platform.

It looks like Anipipo is a decent platform. Given it has one successful project and this one that almost made it. But I for instance only heard about this project when it failed. Purely anecdotal of course. Wink Obviously then a lack of getting word out, advertising, prodding news sites. It is hard work for smaller crowdfunded projects, which many of these new platforms fail to realise. Similar small scale projects fail on Kickstarter all the time. And I can't see the 3-5 minute Animon Race going at the moment being successful at all.

What I would like to see done is a site that actually gives the option to continue funding. E.g. set an immediate goal (e.g. $10000) but if the project reaches that or gets within say 10% to go, give the option to the creator to extend the deadline however much they want (basically initially be a funding platform, but then naturally extend that into preorders upon success, while still giving tier options). Star Citizen shows that such a method would and did pay off, given they are almost at $15m funded now. That would also give such a website enough differentiation from Kickstarter to potentially be successful, unlike all these KS copycats. And it would allow people late to the party to still contribute, e.g. I wouldn't have minded backing this, but now I have no option.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:19 am Reply with quote
I was aware of Anipopo, but I wasn't even aware of this project. It really is too bad, as it looks interesting and would've contributed.

WRT Kickstarter, the biggest limitation for creators is:
Quote:
You are a permanent US resident with a Social Security Number (or EIN).
You have a US address, US bank account, and US state-issued ID (driver’s license).
You have a major US credit or debit card.

so they would need to find or pay someone to be proxies in the US or UK

However IndieGogo does not have this limitation; creators can be anywhere and just need a bank account.

While there is the same fixed funding as others, they also give you the option of flexible funding:
Quote:
What if I don't reach my funding goal?

If your campaign is set up as Flexible Funding, you will be able to keep the funds you raise, even if you don't meet your goal. If your campaign is set up as Fixed Funding, all contributions will be returned to your funders if you do not meet your goal. Flexible Funding campaigns that meet their goal are only charged 4% as our platform fee, whereas campaigns that do not meet their goal are charged 9%.

Both of these two things are pretty significant advantages, IMO
partially

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I think the idea of flexible funding is horrible though, it makes the likelihood of a project never materialising that much higher. Flexible funding if you acquire the majority of what you ask for maybe, but the current model of whatever you get is stupid, and attracts scams if you ask me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1