• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto 11 Breaks Booklist Record

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryusaki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:19 pm Reply with quote
And So the Battle continues! Shonen VS Shojo! Naruto VS Fruits Basket! Who will Win!? Smile
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:13 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty crazy stuff. I'm beginning to wonder which one is going to get to number one first. Fruits Basket doesn't have too many chances left though. It needs to step up its game...
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Well if they start playing replays of Naruto in a couple weeks(16th), I predict it will do,........something?.........

Just not quite sure what.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RezSav

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Furuba gotz pwned! Good news for all the Naruto fans.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Well if they start playing replays of Naruto in a couple weeks(16th), I predict it will do,........something?.........

Just not quite sure what.

If the CN viewers who have to wait catch the drift that the manga is past the anime, it should continue to sell just as well, if not better than it has. I don't think it going into reruns is going to hurt its sales much, if at all.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe it, VIZ must be laughing this one all the way to the bank Wink. But overall this is great news, it's really means that Manga is here to stay, and it's only going to get bigger. One could only imagine how big it will be in a few years....
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Manga sales for Naruto will probably remain the same, but with the airing of reruns of the anime and the long delay between releases of the manga, this current hype more than likely cannot last much longer.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Haha, quite a horse race here!
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I do wonder who'll be the one to win this out. I wonder if Bleach manga'll start selling once it hits Adult Swim, too. But, of course, it's not on Toonami, so it's not getting to the younger and wider audience. But then again, there's nothing wrong with hoping.... Very Happy
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:59 pm Reply with quote
On a completely related note (but not to the discussion) what's the highest rank for a 1st volume? While Furuba and Naruto show the power of free advertising (aka word of mouth) I wonder how good the old hype machine has done.
silverwings

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Why do I think next month's release of Fruba Vol 15 will return it to the top...?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I see Naruto coming out on top because Furuba will be ending soon in Japan.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:59 pm Reply with quote
silverwings wrote:
Why do I think next month's release of Fruba Vol 15 will return it to the top...?

It'll be interesting because volume 15 of Fruits Basket comes out in December, when Naruto Vol. 12 comes out as well. A Christmas showdown should be very exciting. Laughing

Joe Mello wrote:
On a completely related note (but not to the discussion) what's the highest rank for a 1st volume? While Furuba and Naruto show the power of free advertising (aka word of mouth) I wonder how good the old hype machine has done.

I believe it's Fullmetal Alchemist, which debuted at 89 and Kingdom Hearts debuted at 95.

For a series not hugely pushed by a another popular media source, Death Note debuted at number 4 on the graphic novel list. I don't know what kind of figures Negima! or Tsubasa had, but I know they did exceptionally well from the start.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:01 pm Reply with quote
anyone know what the highest graphic novel position was in general?

and the whole Naruto vs. Fruits Basket thing...have you ever seen FB collector magazines at wal-mart? NO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
halochief_90

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:03 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
Hmmm, I do wonder who'll be the one to win this out. I wonder if Bleach manga'll start selling once it hits Adult Swim, too. But, of course, it's not on Toonami, so it's not getting to the younger and wider audience. But then again, there's nothing wrong with hoping.... Very Happy
As far as I know, Fruits Basket didn't air on Cartoon Network at all (I don't live in the US, so please don't strike me if I'm wrong). Sure, Naruto caters to a whole different audience than Fruits Basket, but airing on TV or just the anime being available in America could perhaps significantly increase the popularity of a license.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2