• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon 2013 - Crunchyroll

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that almost nobody has noticed that CR made a catalog title announcement.

I think I'll check out Jubei-chan. It's Madhouse so I know it's well-animated.

(And so far, I am really enjoying Rose of Versailles. Only seen the first two but I can see why so many love it)
hpulley

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
You can't watch it on your PS Vita yet... hopefully soon!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
My question I guess has been answered as I type in the dark.

I'm assuming that CR will work similar to the way it works on the net. I'm surprised that the Wii's network doesn't have access to this. Can you access this normally without a membership the same way on a computer while using any of the game consoles mentioned?
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:05 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

I'm assuming that CR will work similar to the way it works on the net. I'm surprised that the Wii's network doesn't have access to this. Can you access this normally without a membership the same way on a computer while using any of the game consoles mentioned?

You haven't used Crunchyroll from any other device before? Before I got a subscription, I was able to watch Crunchyroll from the Windows Phone app, but it required me to be connected to Wi-Fi and have an account (I think). You needed a subscription to watch over 4G with high quality. I don't know if this worked the same from other compatible devices. I had a subscription already by the time I had a PS3.

Also, c'mon Wii U!
zensunni

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
Jubei-chan sounds like it is an unlucky show. Originally released by a dead company and re-released by one on life-support? I guess we should watch it quick before it goes away into the mists...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

You haven't used Crunchyroll from any other device before? Before I got a subscription, I was able to watch Crunchyroll from the Windows Phone app, but it required me to be connected to Wi-Fi and have an account (I think). You needed a subscription to watch over 4G with high quality. I don't know if this worked the same from other compatible devices. I had a subscription already by the time I had a PS3.

Also, c'mon Wii U!

No, I've never tried CR on any other system because I don't own any of the other devices like a PS3 or XBX360. My family only has a
Wii, and I'm the only person with a Netflix account that allows my mother access to that service. But I've been curious how CR works on any of those devices. Does the streaming work the same way it's viewed using a computer without a subscription with the adds or would you have to have a subscription?

I'd been wanting to have access to CR for sometime through a either a multimedia or game device at home. Sitting in front of a computer doesn't really do it for me. I wouldn't mind finding a reliable multimedia device that would allow my regular TV access to online streaming.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
No, I've never tried CR on any other system because I don't own any of the other devices like a PS3 or XBX360. My family only has a
Wii, and I'm the only person with a Netflix account that allows my mother access to that service. But I've been curious how CR works on any of those devices. Does the streaming work the same way it's viewed using a computer without a subscription with the adds or would you have to have a subscription?

I'd been wanting to have access to CR for sometime through a either a multimedia or game device at home. Sitting in front of a computer doesn't really do it for me. I wouldn't mind finding a reliable multimedia device that would allow my regular TV access to online streaming.

Well, I doubt we'll be seeing a Wii app anytime soon. You'll of course need a native Crunchyroll app to watch their streams. Now that I think about, I did have ads on my Roku device before I purchased a subscription. I don't use it often, so I forgot. So yes, watching on other devices without a subscription is like watching it from the website without a subscription.

Speaking of Roku, maybe invest in one if you don't want to get a new gaming console or Apple TV. It streams Crunchyroll, FUNimation, Netflix, Hulu, and many other services. I think Crackle's even on there. I don't know about other users, but I'm able to access all of FUNi's stuff through my Roku with my non-Elite Subscriber account. That should not be possible. Kinda strange, but I won't complain Razz
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

Can you access this normally without a membership the same way on a computer while using any of the game consoles mentioned?

With the newer devices (e.g. XBOX 360, PS3, Apple TV), a subscription is required to do anything more than view sample episodes (the first episode of each series, as I recall).

With the older devices (Android, iOS, Roku), both free viewing and premium membership viewing is supported. At present, however, none of those provide HD video streams.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1