• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo Wins at Sitges

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Hooray! That's wonderful news. I'm sure director Hosoda is thrilled. Now I want to see The Girl Who Leapt Through Time more than ever, as I've heard nothing but the highest praise. Also, it's also nice to see a legendary name like Kihachiro Kawamoto, one of the most skilled stop motion animators on the planet, in the news nowadays.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I really hope someone picks up this movie, it looks excellent. I've heard good things about the novels and the live action movies and this animated version looks amazing and the music is beautiful.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:37 pm Reply with quote
That's kind of depressing that a traditional animation title won instead of the less traditional type (Book of the Dead, Tachigui: The Amazing Lives of Fast Food Grifters).
tripperdan99

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo was done better than the Butterfly Effect. lol Look forward to seeing it.
Lix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:29 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
That's kind of depressing that a traditional animation title won instead of the less traditional type (Book of the Dead, Tachigui: The Amazing Lives of Fast Food Grifters).

Nah. It just makes it far more impressive for Tokikake, and cases for traditional animation always need to be made. To think, Hosoda's film beat out Oshii's unique experiment, Kon's mind-bending cinematics, and even Kawamoto's stellar puppetry. Hopefully it's a sign that people will start recognizing Hosoda as a major player.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:18 am Reply with quote
Or it could be a sign that Sitges went with a safe choice instead. It's not like we haven't seen the themes from this title before (e.g. Quantum Leap and a host of others).

Some nod should have also been given to Oishi's title imo. That title appears to be a technically complex thing to pull off too imo.
Lix

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, they can't honor everyone that has a unique film there. They give awards to films that they believe are the best; not the ones they think are the most original or technically elaborate. But I don't think Sitges would be taking any great risk in honoring any of these movies. Besides, everyone who's seen Shisha no Sho has said it's amazing, and you know that filmgoers already have respect for Kon and Oshii; if anything, our little girl who leapt through time was the underdog.

Also, I don't think time-travel would qualify as a "theme" in a literary context, unless the show is mostly about the ideas associated with time-travel, or somehow has a message concerning it imbedded in the inherent framework of the story, rather than just using time jumps as a plot mechanization. For example, most of the shows you linked to merely include time-travel in their story; their plots don't revolve around the idea of time-travel. From what I've heard (though I admit I don't know a whole lot about it), Toki wa Kakeru Shoujo doesn't present time-travel as a serious theme, either, and even if it does, there really aren't very many other shows that have.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm not going to spoil this title, but time travel is a key element and also it happened every episode in Quantum Leap. Technically, Inu Yasha also has time travel as a key element. Ditto for Farscape.

I think what's wrong is that a festival that is for innovative works as expressed in their description would not give a nod to another innovative work (Oishi's). It doesn't matter to me if he is a bigger name or that his title was fresh from the Venice International Film Festival.

Oh well, these things happen.....
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:00 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I think what's wrong is that a festival that is for innovative works as expressed in their description would not give a nod to another innovative work (Oishi's). It doesn't matter to me if he is a bigger name or that his title was fresh from the Venice International Film Festival.

^^; There's an awful lot of assumption going on here. As a lover of experimental animation and film, I'm just as psyched about Tachiguishi Retsuden as I am about Genius Party or the other innovative films coming out next year, and I also consider Kihachiro Kawamoto one of the greatest stop-motion geniuses in existence. However, I find it hard to believe that Stiges awarded Hosoda's film just to play it safe. If all the buzz I hear is true, Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo is a triumph, a story told with heart and directed with skill. The fact that it is so highly regarded in spite of the fact it plays off a rather tired tradition--time travel--is proof enough to me that this film is something special. It's not the story you tell, but the way it's told, as they say. And besides, awarding Hosoda's film is by no means an insult to the other films. To particpate in such a prestigious festival is an honor in itself, and I'm sure the jury enjoyed all the films. It was an incredibly strong line-up this year.

As much as I love experimentation, the animation method itself isn't enough to declare a film good or bad. All the film's elements--technique, writing, directing, etc--must work together to create a cohesive and enjoyable experience. Just because Oshii's new work is visually impressive and innovative doesn't mean it's necessarily a great movie (although I'm sure it is and can't wait to see it for myself). I'm planning to give plenty of nods to it. But I just might end up liking Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo more. I won't know until I see it.

Have you seen Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo yet, by the way?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:58 am Reply with quote
No, I'm in Region 1. But, this film has received English language coverage, including Newtype USA.

Also, Book of the Dead's award was for its technique as stated in ANN's headlines.

In fact, in none of my posts did I say that this was a bad movie. I called it a "safe choice" as a winner. I also said basically that at a festival that is suppose to promote cutting edge animation to pick a traditional animation style type as the winner is depressing. Especially, in light that one of the entrants is fresh from Venice. (I don't think that Paprika was in competition at Sitges. But if Paprika was in competition, that really would be depressing considering all the publicity he generated for being being at Sitges.)
conbarba

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:38 am Reply with quote
Hi, this is my first post here.

I attended the film festival, as every year, and i saw the whole Animat selection. Paprika was not in competition so no award given, though I think it was the best animated film. Kon also was such a super nice guy, just like in 2001 when he came with Sennen Joyu. As an animated movie Toki wo... i think is clearly superior to Tachiguishi (a movie I loved) for a every simple reason, Tachiguishi, as new or revolutionary or innovative it could be, does not have much animation at all. A great deal of it are long shots of images with slow zooming inside. Toki wo.. is a fantastic movie and it deserved to win this year. Kawamoto´s is also pretty fantastic but I did not find the story as engaging as Toki wo...´s. Definitely not depressing that it won. Now, about the other winners in the other sections...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1