• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Picks up Two Titles

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:08 am Reply with quote
Hmm, now these are some very intriguing title choices. He Is My Master looks like a good comedy with fanservice but with potential to be serious if it wants. Plus I haven't seen a series with a pet alligator since Clarissa Explains It All was on TV, so I have to buy it for nostalgia. Sota-Kun no Akihabara Funtouki sounds like a fun and potentially socially introspective title, given the whole "otaku out of the closet" angle. (No not that closet yaoi fans. Wink )

Is it just me or is Seven Seas picking up some very unusual titles? First their yuri line and now these. Nostalgia and my own uniform obsession will require me to buy He Is My Master. Sota-Kun I'm sure about yet.

Wouldn't be surprised if, given the nature of the story, Seven Seas left the title Sota-Kun no Akihabara Funtouki as is.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:25 am Reply with quote
When did TOKYOPOP drop it? RightStuf has removed it from its catalog as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:51 am Reply with quote
Tokyopop had some licensing fall out or something with Square.... or something... I think.... But....

YES! He Is My Master! Finally~ I love the anime, and I've been dying to read the manga with only a few chapters I picked up as scanalations to keep me satisfied. I've been waiting ever since ANN first announced Tokyo Pop had the licensing for this... I am so happy~ *ranting continues*

So, yeah, I <3 you Seven Seas!
Akukaze

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:01 pm Reply with quote
A friend just sent me the October issue of GFantasy (which is what Souta-kun is serialized in) and it looks rather... interesting, to say the least. Good art, though, and there aren't enough GFantasy titles stateside, so I might have to check it out. (:

And HiMM is a series I've been wanting to check out since Tokyopop "licensed" it. Way to go Seven Seas!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone actually know how Seven Seas got the license for He Is My Master away from Tokyopop? (Wonders where adam_omega might be.)

There must be an interesting story here.

Anyway, this news reaffirms that Seven Seas is really coming into its own as a supplier of manga, one that seems eager to provide fans with something different from the norm. First major yuri, now this. My only complaint is that this means I'm waiting for even more titles from them. Crying or Very sad
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I'd still like to know if I can expect more Boogiepop novels in the near future, or if that disastrous Borders exclusivity deal killed the franchise's chances in this continent forever. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
detective392

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:12 pm Reply with quote
hopefully this means they can maby release spiral in america finally.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:15 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

i was thinking this as well...in fact i still saw it on the shelfs at my local Borders today. I can't think of anything I've bought from Seven Seas- do they do a good job?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
i was thinking this as well...in fact i still saw it on the shelfs at my local Borders today. I can't think of anything I've bought from Seven Seas- do they do a good job?

Their Boogiepop work is pure gold. Best translation work I've seen yet; strikes just the right balance of accuracy and readability (crap, is that even a word?).

Which only makes the current situation all the more frustrating, actually.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:51 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:

Their Boogiepop work is pure gold. Best translation work I've seen yet; strikes just the right balance of accuracy and readability (crap, is that even a word?).

Which only makes the current situation all the more frustrating, actually.

I wonder what would make a smaller company (Seven seas is small right) do exclusive deals to just one store. More money perhaps? or were they trying to save money by only dealing with one store?

I think i'll pick up the Boogiepop novels. i just looked them up and they seem look good reads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:47 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
I wonder what would make a smaller company (Seven seas is small right) do exclusive deals to just one store. More money perhaps? or were they trying to save money by only dealing with one store?

The thing is, a limited exclusivity wouldn't have been so bad, except the way this one was set up, this Borders exclusivity excluded about half the Borders stores out there, prohibited dealing with Borders online, and was horrifically late in getting the books out into wide release once the exclusivity ended (and personally, I'm convinced they still haven't shipped the books to non-Borders brick and mortar stores).
Zalis116_v2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Yes, it is Smile

Only thing I'm wondering now is, where's the He is My Master anime? It's comedy, it's maids, it's etchi, it's Gainax--it'd make a much better license for ADV instead of 4 seasons of that UFO Princess Valkyrie dreck.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116_v2 wrote:
Only thing I'm wondering now is, where's the He is My Master anime? It's comedy, it's maids, it's etchi, it's Gainax--it'd make a much better license for ADV instead of 4 seasons of that UFO Princess Valkyrie dreck.
Oh give Valkyrie a break. It's fluffy and fun!

My guess is that UFO Princess Valkyrie cost a lot less to license and, given the speed with which ADV licensed all of it, I'd guess it's sold well. Good sales for it could easily translate into ADV wanting to license another series with some similiar elements ASAP.

He Is My Master is probably looking like a good purchase for them now and if they get it, you might just want to give Valkyrie a little credit.

Besides, we need all the comedic, maid etchi Gainax series we can get. Wink Anime hyper
Akukaze

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Does anyone actually know how Seven Seas got the license for He Is My Master away from Tokyopop? (Wonders where adam_omega might be.)

There must be an interesting story here.

I don't think Tokyopop ever really HAD the license. They still haven't said exactly what happened, but between their press releases and talking to people at cons, it seems that they were in the middle of getting the rights for a whole slew of Squeenix titles, but they announced them prematurely, which made Squeenix angry, so they pulled out. The people I talked to would only get so specific as to say that something Tokyopop did "that really wasn't their fault" made Squeenix angry, so it might be something else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:47 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
dormcat wrote:

Seven Seas rates up there with Del Rey on their treatment of Japanese publications (manga and novels). They are doing the novels right (accurate, readable, full honorific usage), something I wish TokyoPop had done for their novels rather than decide for a more domesticated approach.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2