• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for posting that fighterholic. As you know I can't resist spoilers. Embarassed

What you wrote has got to be one of the best endings for manga series, especially such a long one. Can you believe it, I'm actually teary-eyed Crying or Very sad while writing this because what you described moved me soooo! much!

But at least I'll know to have a new box of Kleenix handy when the final volume is released here in the U.S.!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I really am glad that I have had the privelage of discovering the world of anime and manga, because I might not have seen this series otherwise. It was definetly fun reading it, and I can't wait for Takaya sensei's next work as well. This manga already got rated by me, but I have to say that it's Masterpiece rating is definetly here to stay.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:43 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Quote:
We need more Fruits Basketholics! Wink With that said, you have the floor, aya_honda.

Thank you very much, but what is to be said when you said it all and so beautifully I may add?! Very Happy Ok, now I am listening to the soundtrack of the anime (which was really good, btw) and I am still in tears. It was the ending that I dreamed off and that I finally got. Crying or Very sad Really now, I feel really melancholic because it has ended and that I will not have anymore the feeling of waiting for a new chapter: the thrill, the curiosity, the emotion.... Sad I will definetly need a new good manga, which might take a while to appear. I don't know. Crying or Very sad

My dream of spoiler[seeing finally together Mayu and Htaori came true and I am more than happy. I remember when she said that perhaps when she will cut her hair short she will be with Hatori and this finally happened. To see them together and to finally see Hatori SMILE was a true pleasure. ]

Then spoiler[Hiro and Kisa.......... So sweet: their most romantic moment ever! Wink Definetly liked that part. I just couldn't believe my eyes. I mean, I hoped for it but I didn't think I will have the chance to see this moment. And I'm happy for it.]

spoiler[Shigure....and Akito... I think that Takaya-san did a really good thing not to bring Akito to Tohru and Kyo and to just let that part behind. I really enjoyed the part when Shigure arranged Akito's hat: they were finally like true lovers that trully belonged to each other. A wonderful warmth came from their story. But I can't imagine Shigure without his novels. Wink What will become of the world now?! Laughing ]

Machi was so sweet when spoiler[she took Yuki's key: Laughing And the whole thing was just so amazing.]

I really don't know what to write anymore. I'm still under its deep impression. I think it is a manga that trully deserves the title of masterpiece. It wouldn't be any exageration.

Two things I just adored in this final chapter. One is spoiler[how it is showen the great importance that Tohru had in the lives of all the zodiaccs, how she succeeded in transforming their lives and especially that of Kyo. I liked very much how Takaya-san put some of the past imagines in the background to show how her love and kindness changed everything and how all the other were capable to finally live their lives thanks to her. Really, she was the one that changed it all. ]

The second one would be spoiler[the final scenes, with Tohru and Kyo's grandchild: so tender and beautiful scenes... especially the one at the end, when they are walking together and holding hands, the pictures with them as a family, the holding hands.... The essence of their beautiful love-story.]

Damn, a really wonderful chapter. Thank you, Takaya-san, for this one. It was really great. Btw, I hope that Kyo will still win the popularity contest. No matter how much I like Yuki and Machi, for me Kyo and Tohru are still the best.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I think for this time, since everybody recieved wonderful storylines since the last popularity contest, Kyo will be given a run for his money, but I think that Yuki may not be the one giving it to him. On the part that through the later chapters, the story wasn't so focused on Yuki, besides him getting together with Machi and his confrontation with Kyo. I think though that a really big runner for this next contest will be Akito. No doubt, because you see how she changed, and how her past made her what she was, and how Tohru undid that so that she could be revealed in true and most beautiful form. I predict that AKito will find her way into the top 10, as well as Machi. If I were to get a chance to vote in that contest, Akito would definetly recieve my vote.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:46 am Reply with quote
I thought that while being away, I'll see some new or old posters on this thread (other than us) but it seems that it's not going to happen yet. So we will have to do talking still.... Very Happy Not that I mind. Wink

I bet that this year the popularity contest will be a very serious one because now people had the chance of geting to know all the characters and it seems that many characters are really interesting. Ok, not it seems, but they are definetly so. Yes, I would have to agree with you about the fact that Akito will get to a whole new level with this poll. Her story is one of the most interesting ones and seeing how some of the latest chapters focused on her spoiler[and on her beautiful love story with Shigure, especially the final scene Wink ]make out of her a top challanger for Kyo. Nonetheless, at the same time Kyo's story remains one of the most passionate and interesting one and the more I read the final chapter the more I get emotional so I must say that Kyo is not finished yet. Cool

Btw, I am still sorry about spoiler[Momiji and Kagura not finding anyone yet. I had my hopes but ok, I'll agree that this would mean to ask to much. Still it was kind of sad to see Momiji's melancholy when talking about Tohru.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:32 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
Btw, I am still sorry about spoiler[Momiji and Kagura not finding anyone yet. I had my hopes but ok, I'll agree that this would mean to ask to much. Still it was kind of sad to see Momiji's melancholy when talking about Tohru.]

Don't be sad. While we don't see it in the pages of FB, we all know, in our heart of hearts, those two will find the perfect people for them!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Since we really can't have our own forum for Fruits Basket, I will take this time to start off conversation about certain characters of the series, and every week we discuss a new character. How do they get introduced to the series, what relation do they have to the Zodiac or Tohru? What is the secret behind their past to manipulate them to act the way that they do during the course of the series? What happens to them in the end? What do you hope happens to them afterwards? And your thoughts on the character all together. Their personality, their good points and their bad points.

This week I would like to start off with Momiji. We are introduced to him when spoiler[Tohru meets him at where she works, although he doesn't talk to her in Japanese at all at first. He gets the flyer about the school festival, and comes the day of the festival with Hatori. With a lot of things that happen, Momiji almost blows the secret of the Zodiac, which with Yuki's help, is able to keep it secret. We learn later about Momiji, his dad being the company president of the building where Tohru works, and the secret behind his mother and her totally rejecting Momiji and going as far as to have her memory completely erased of the time that she had with him. Yet he is always watching her and Momo, hoping for their happiness, while his is sacrificed dearly. ]
This character is young, naive, but smart. A beaming personality, happy, yet sad at heart. However he is loyal, and loving, never abondaning his family yet they abandon him.
This is just the introductory of what we see of Momiji. I hope those posting will continue by adding on and continuing this part of the story and also letting us know how you feel about this character.

Edit: Tagged

Last edited by fighterholic on Tue May 22, 2007 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:40 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
aya_honda wrote:

Don't be sad. While we don't see it in the pages of FB, we all know, in our heart of hearts, those two will find the perfect people for them!

I know. I think I am a cry baby. Embarassed Sometimes I just wish things would work out beautiful for everyone, but this is not what it's happening, especially in the real world. What can I say? I want too much. Embarassed

fighterholic, nice topic! Really nice! Hopefully that will make people start to write here about this characters! Cause there are some really interesting ones and who knows?! People might show us different aspects of the same story.

What I enjoyed much about Momiji was his incredible power of keeping that smile on his face even as his world was one of the saddest in manga. His way of spoiler[dealing with the most serious ones such as Hatori (especially when talking about the New Year's Eve dance Wink ) or Hiro (giving advice about how to treat Kisa) to the ones that were true rivals for him such as Kyo. I believe that Momiji's mature attitude at the end of the manga when he admits that he was in love with Tohru but nonetheless holds no grudge to no one made me admire him and seeing him as one of the most interesting and admirable character in the manga.]

I especially recall the scene when spoiler[Momiji and Kisa and Hiro were sleeping on a blancket and Tohru covered them up (I think it was in the 10 or 11th volume - I can't recall exactly). He seemed so peaceful and yet he had the greatest struggles. Sad ] I've seen some of that peace at the end.

A Fruits Basket forum?! Rolling Eyes I think I would start to live on my computer if there would be such a thing. Embarassed Laughing
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Momiji spoiler[happens to be a playful person a lot, always willing to help, and not to keep quiet about things bery important that other people may feel unimportant. For example, Momiji told Kisa what HIro had done to Tohru, which got her over to where Hiro, TOhru and Kyo were right away. Which when Hiro realized that the Bunny had butted in, all Momiji could do was to just stick his tongue out at Hiro, a common thing that someone might do. ]
Momiji spoiler[made the first of many big stands against Akito while she was still the god. He didn't want her to see Tohru because he knew in a what kind of mood Akito was in, and also didn't want to see Tohru hurt. He couldn't prevent it however, and Tohru recieved some scratches on her face from the encounter. However Momiji at the point was being the mature one over any of the Zodiac at the point, and they all knew it.]

What might have happened if Momiji not taken the stand against Akito? Tohru could have ended up seriously hurt, and Akito might have taken out her anger on the rest of the Zodiac as well. He also sent a message to the rest of the Zodiac members in this case, that they must protect Tohru from the dangers that were present from the wrath of Akito.

We're on page 24 now Cool
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I have noticed something interesting.

spoiler[Kyo and Thoru grandaughter hold a cat and a rat in her hand. It suddenly struck me that she also could be Yuki grandaughter, her mother can be Yuki daughter.]

but of course it is only my hypothesis
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:25 pm Reply with quote
To tell you the truth, at first I was thinking that the bunny is annoying: sweet but annoying. His energy was... how to describe it?! Hmmm.... Tiring. Nonetheless Momiji grew on me and now, at the end of the manga, I can say that he would also have my vote in a popularity contest. His strength and maturity that at times, like you said, was an example for the rest of the zodiac made him a great and complex character. I enjoyed very much spoiler[his final maturization when he looked for the very first time like a teenager, when he was released from the curse. I remember how the girls were talking about him like he was some sort of miracle. ]

Nevertheless, his story is just really sad and I was hoping that the end would bring some interesting twists in his story. spoiler[But perhaps the fact that he has finally admited his love for Tohru to Haru and Rin will be some sort of eliberation for him and it will help him to move along. Hey, it wouldn't be bad if he would be with Kagura. Wink They are both very energetic (to say the least) and they can heal eachother's wounds. ]

Aylinn, I'm thinking more at the possibility that
spoiler[their family became really close with Yuki's family. Kyo and Yuki had always have the possiblity of being really true friends and the release form the curse might porve that. For me it was a sign that that this is what happened. Plus the fact that the little girl talks about Tohru and Kyo in point of "grandmother" and 'grandfather".]

24........ Damn, we're obssessed. Wink
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:02 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
To tell you the truth, at first I was thinking that the bunny is annoying: sweet but annoying. His energy was... how to describe it?! Hmmm.... Tiring. Nonetheless Momiji grew on me and now, at the end of the manga, I can say that he would also have my vote in a popularity contest. His strength and maturity that at times, like you said, was an example for the rest of the zodiac made him a great and complex character. I enjoyed very much spoiler[his final maturization when he looked for the very first time like a teenager, when he was released from the curse. I remember how the girls were talking about him like he was some sort of miracle. ]

Does he looked the way the School President's girls envisioned him in Chapter 19, when Black Haru went after the SP for yelling at Momiji for spoiler[wearing the girls' uniform?]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:07 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
aya_honda wrote:

Does he looked the way the School President's girls envisioned him in Chapter 19, when Black Haru went after the SP for yelling at Momiji for spoiler[wearing the girls' uniform?]

Oh, yes, it is a very close picture of him. But do please add some maturity air; oh, and definetly without spoiler[that lolipop in his hand.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:28 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
aya_honda wrote:

Oh, yes, it is a very close picture of him. But do please add some maturity air; oh, and definetly without spoiler[that lolipop in his hand.]

Yay! Embarassed
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:10 pm Reply with quote
After Momiji spoiler[grew, he matured and his feelings for Tohru changed, as mentioned above. In this way he even revealed to Kyo that he might try and go after Tohru. This I thought a possibility of really happening. With Yuki out of the mix, who's to stop him from really trying to catch her heart. And when he got released from the curse, I think that put pressure on Kyo. I do think though that Momiji realized that Tohru might be lost to Kyo, and I think that he wanted to respect her view of the situation.]

Page 24. If we can, I want this thread to become the most powerful in the manga forum, EVEN powerful than the sticky.
I will run through the characters and will figure out who we can talk about next Sunday. This should be fun, and will help us in building the thread. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 170