• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aya_honda

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I will slightly disagree with you at this one spoiler[ because we can see later on after the parents meeting the sincere discussion actually had some effects and their mother started to behave in a more motherly way. I think that there were chances of improvement. Perhaps they relations will never be the parents-children kind of relation but I think there's place for improvement. On the other hand Momiji's mother.... I'm sorry along with Kyo's parents she is definetly one of the worst.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:04 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
I will slightly disagree with you at this one spoiler[ because we can see later on after the parents meeting the sincere discussion actually had some effects and their mother started to behave in a more motherly way. I think that there were chances of improvement. Perhaps they relations will never be the parents-children kind of relation but I think there's place for improvement. On the other hand Momiji's mother.... I'm sorry along with Kyo's parents she is definetly one of the worst.]

Like I said "What I've read so far" Wink Laughing

You've been lucky enough to get all of the way through, I'm only at Volume 15. Sooo....IMO spoiler[Yuki and Ayame's parents suck (at this time) and Momiji's mother isn't too far behind. I'm sure that when I reach the end, Momiji's mother will be #1, but right now (especially since I read V.15 a few days ago and the memory is fresh) Y & A's parents are the worst.] So, as always, my opinion is subject to change! Very Happy Wink
chickenparapara

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:31 pm Reply with quote
i, too, am just a sad little american who is only up to book fifteen in the series - and yes, spoiler[ aya and yun-yun's mom is the worst, in my opinion. i mean, momijis mom is all...you know...freakin out...but i mean, yukis mom freakin SOLD the kid to akito. ] scary scary lady.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:28 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

Like I said "What I've read so far" Wink Laughing

You've been lucky enough to get all of the way through, I'm only at Volume 15. Sooo....

Lucky... well, in away: lucky of knowing so many foreign languages and lucky of having good friends that will go on a hunt of manga for me, even though they are not into something like this and then try to find the fastest way of sending them to me. Very Happy Cool Lucky, indeed. Laughing

But of course spoiler[ Ayame's mom is one of the worst. I won't disagree with that. I'm just saying that there are even worse cases than her and you will definetly understand my opinion when reading the latest volumes (Kyo's dad is particularly horrible) Shocked ] I made you curious, didn't I? I just can't stop myself from talking about this manga. I'm terribly sorry. Embarassed
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:08 pm Reply with quote
All this discussion of terrible parents and nobody has mentioned Rin's Shocked

Yes, spoiler[Yuki was getting a lot of attention from his parents, especially after they took him to see Akito. And where was Ayame in all this? I can understand how he felt towards Yuki, but I don't think it was just Yuki he was feeling it towards. There was just nobody to tell how he felt about things, the lost son. And that's probably where Hatori came in, backing him up, making the points, getting mad at him, like his parents wouldn't. Maybe Ayame was doing bad stuff but his parents would ignore him. Kids sometimes do bad things to get their parents to notice them, but when they deal with it rather than being parents, that totally kills the psychology of the child.]

Edit: To let everybody know, I have decided the character for next week's talks. Hint: spoiler[She is a Zodiac, she is cute] Wink Official announcement tomorrow night.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:40 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Edit: To let everybody know, I have decided the character for next week's talks. Hint: spoiler[She is a Zodiac, she is cute] Wink Official announcement tomorrow night.

Is it.....Kisa-chan? Very Happy Very Happy

aya don't worry, even though I'm reading the spoilers it WILL NOT ruin my enjoyment of the new ones as they come out. If fact, this thread makes me dance with anticipation waiting for the enjoyment that is Fruits Basket!
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:28 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
fighterholic wrote:

Is it.....Kisa-chan? Very Happy Very Happy

Yes, by the hints that you gave us I will defintely say (just like LydiaDianne): is Kisa-chan? Cause she's just so cute..... Very Happy

Yes, Rin's parents are also terrible. But nonetheless, I think that Ayame really found his way out.
spoiler[It has been difficult for him to be ignored by his own parents just because his little brother was born to be the most important part of the zodiac. And, yes, probably Hatori played the part that Ayame needed: the maturity, the confidence and the seriousness that Hatori had were vital for Ayame and this is why I think that Ayame will always have a special kind of repesct and love for his best friend. Not to mention that int this case Mayu will be also highly regarded. Wink ]

Mine also along with spoiler[Hatori played a key role in Ayame's growth as a person and I admire her for sticking with a man that sometimes is just simply crazy. Very Happy ]
missyqueen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Well all three of the Juunishi girls are cute, but.spoiler[ . . .that pic with Kisa with the tiger ears is just sooooo cute. And the cute way she runs to Tohru in her little slippers at the school festival is absolutely adorable! ]

So I'll just agree with LydiaDianne and aya-honda Very Happy
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:55 am Reply with quote
Page 31 and we're STILL going strong Very Happy
Welcome to Kisa week in the Fruits Basket thread. If the definition of moe is referred to somewhere in the anime world, Kisa would be one of the many examples out there.

Characters related to Kisa:
- Hiro
- Tohru
- Kisa's Mom
- Hiro's Mom
- Akito
- Hatsuharu
- Yuki
- Kyo
- Shigure

Kisa is one of many many reasons why we love to read Fruits Basket. Her innocence, her passion, her willingness to push forward, and her being pursued by Hiro to make her his. Their love story is not so complicated and brought out as many of the others in the series, yet one of our favorites. Another great attribute is spoiler[her forgiveness of Hiro when he revealed that he was the reason that Akito made her wind up in the hospital. And she helped him to grow mentally. ]
NOW ONTO KISA!!! Very Happy

Edit: Tagged

Last edited by fighterholic on Tue May 22, 2007 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:48 am Reply with quote
So we were all right! Laughing She is just so cute. Very Happy

Kisa..... Hmm.... Inspite of her innocence I definetly see her as a strong character but not in the sense that you might expect. spoiler[Kisa is one of the cursed ones but most definetly her life hasn't been easy especially because her colleagues made fun of her and I always wondered how could they do that since she is just so lovely. Her strength is the beauty of her soul. I mean she was just this wonderful sweet child of love that everybody likes, including the grumpy Hiro (sometimes, grumpy Wink , other times jelous) Wink I particularly loved those scenes when she is first introduced to us and she gets so addicted to Tohru and Tonru sees her as an angel. ] Laughing

Tohru is one of those persons that spoiler[connected the most to Kisa and the love that she gave to that sweet angel back then most definetly made Kisa call Tohru onee-chan and love her just like a sister. Tohru and Kisa probably will remain friends (not that this would difficult since we are talking about the two most kind persons in the manga.) Laughing
]

One thing that torments me... I know I always have something that I didn't understand. Embarassed but spoiler[it's about Kisa and Haru.... How come they were so close? I remember many times when Haru got protective with Kisa and he ejoyed playing the part of the big brother. For one thing: he is the one that finds her when she runs away from home and when she is firstly introduced to us. And then I remember a scene at the opening of the Cinderella play when Haru again took Kisa in his arms to protect her from the touch of the other persons. So I was wondering how come they were so close.... ]
cerulean88

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:55 am Reply with quote
okay there is no way that i'll be able to read the previous posts. It's Christmas Eve here but i'm infront of my computer reading stuff about nuclear plants + fertilizers and micropropagation hahahaha. I still need to get on with my tasks eventhough it's Christmas. I miss you guys sooo much!! Razz

okay time for Kisa =) I agree with you Aya_Honda, she was a strong character but not at the beginning. spoiler[Okay about her fellow classmates making fun of her, we can't really blame them either. They're all young and like all young children, they fear what they don't know/understand, well in this case, it's something that they've never seen before and that's Kisa's weird eye and hair colour. Tohru appeared and her life got alot "brighter" and more hopeful.]

Ispoiler[ think Kisa and Hiro is so close because of their similar age and also the fact that they've grown up together in the Souma household ever since they were young?] It was not really mentioned how they became so close but i would say that it's because of that =)
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:36 am Reply with quote
cerulean88 wrote:
okay there is no way that i'll be able to read the previous posts. It's Christmas Eve here but i'm infront of my computer reading stuff about nuclear plants + fertilizers and micropropagation hahahaha. I still need to get on with my tasks eventhough it's Christmas. I miss you guys sooo much!! Razz

cerulean, long time no see! we miss you too. it seems that you are very busy and what you told us that you study: geez, as a literature student, for me sciences were always something quite mysterious. I think that it's the first time these days that I can actually be here for two or three times a day, cause tomorrow I don't think so.

now, going back to Kisa.... spoiler[You're right most likely the children can't be blamed as they will always have their own naive way of seeing the world. I think that later on Haru and Yuki's words, not to mention Tohru's love helped her to grow as a person and most important to see the beauty that she has and to finally understand herself. Which is a truly beautiful thing.]
cerulean88

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:33 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
cerulean88 wrote:

cerulean, long time no see! we miss you too. it seems that you are very busy and what you told us that you study: geez, as a literature student, for me sciences were always something quite mysterious. I think that it's the first time these days that I can actually be here for two or three times a day, cause tomorrow I don't think so.

now, going back to Kisa.... spoiler[You're right most likely the children can't be blamed as they will always have their own naive way of seeing the world. I think that later on Haru and Yuki's words, not to mention Tohru's love helped her to grow as a person and most important to see the beauty that she has and to finally understand herself. Which is a truly beautiful thing.]

yay i'm missed!! xp Okay i'm taking a loooong break now, my mind is screaming "screw work just go to ANN forums!!" Twisted Evil lol. Hopefully i can stick around tmr too. Wow~ literature huh, that's awesome you must be really good at writing then =D I love bio and chem (except for physics...ugggh. I apologise for all those physics students out there for me dissing this supposedly *cough*cool*cough* subject xD) and then there's geography, the awesome-st subject EVER =D the last subject is not worth mentioning as it's so sdkljsadjladsaskass =p I'm going to practically bury myself on tons of books tmr, no Christmas mingling with friends =( it's gonna be a long day.

now that i think about it, Kisa didn't really get alot of appearance in the manga after her little arc. You know how you mentioned that Hatsuharu and Kisa are so close yeah? I've suddenly thought of something bizzare hahahaha. Kisa is the tiger and Hatsuharu is the cow/ox right? Well in India, tiger's sometimes attacks cows and such. Well let's just say that there's an obvious connection of prey and predator okay. Umm i hope you all know where i'm heading off to. Seeing that the supposedly animal enemies like Ayame and Yuki are so close together in terms that they're siblings or lover whatever. Well that's just my theory hahahaha.

We all know why Akito hated Kisa, well she hated all the female jyunishii's and i'm sure you guys won't need me to explain that in detail right? Well correct me if i'm wrong but to me it's obviously because spoiler[she was scared of them leaving her so she doesn't want there to be any intimate interactions going on between any of the jyunishii.]

I just realised that my first theory was so science based Anime hyper great...

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL~ =D don't follow my example and study during the holidays!! =p

P.S: is it snowing where you are atm?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I was able to just pass my Biology class. Come back to us, cerulean!!!

Though I would hate to admit it, I think that spoiler[at times Kisa is a little empty headed like Tohru. The prime example being when they went to the school festival and Hiro told her to be careful, and she said that everything was okay, but there were guys in the background staring at Kisa. Hiro's face was funny at this particular moment. His face was even funnier when Haru did pick her up and hugged her. All Kisa could do was react with a "kya!"] Wink

I think that Haru spoiler[knew what Kisa was having to go through, because he helped out Rin earlier. The reason that he was upset with her was the fact that she disappeared and they couldn't find her. So in a way he is a big brother to her.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:00 pm Reply with quote
cerulean, you just gave me a nice present this Christmas: you came back for us even if this means that tomorrow will have to work very hard. Literature.... I think I have read too much at times, but then again when is literature combined with art it gives a powerful combination and a dangerous mixture. Laughing Needless to say my friends thought this year of offering the world to me except for books and everything related to my studies. Laughing And I do like to write, yes most definetly... The piles of my writings are near me even now, but trust me: I'm not the next Dostoevsky.

Kisa is just like Tohru....Definetly so. spoiler[Remember that episode? Well there's one that reminded me of Kisa: when Tohru and all the others returned to highschool and Haru and Momiji joined them. Tpohru went to search for them and she went with Kyo. Two guys wanted to go and talk to Tohru but she didn't relised that and she was looking like she invited them and then Kyo had that reaction of his, like This is my girl. Back off. I think that Hiro wanted to do the same with Kisa at that time. But they are such a wonderful couple, one of the few that had no complications except for what Akito has done.]

I think that in a way Akito spoiler[needed a lot of love and since she didn't receive any unconditionally she thought of taking it by force. On the other hand Kisa is one of the few that could tve love through her only presence. Which makes the things even more difficult. ] Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 30 of 170