• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Xbox One to Launch in 13 Markets on November 22

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:59 am Reply with quote
who will buy one due to its launch issues!

It would seem, what was changed at the start can be changed back at any time no matter how unpopular!

best of luck with the corporation behind this product.

one would hope the red ring of death will not happen again.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:17 am Reply with quote
i guess Microsoft gave up on Asia. Look at the games, i think they are targeting Asians in US either.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
who will buy one due to its launch issues!

Which launch issues?

Catseyetiger wrote:

It would seem, what was changed at the start can be changed back at any time no matter how unpopular!

I've already met some people who actually don't care about that issue. People who are mainly buying it for the entertainment side, not the gaming side. And people who are used to PC gaming with Steam and don't buy game discs anymore but just download.

(I think this is where Microsoft was getting ahead of themselves. A lot of PC/tablet/smartphone gamers are used to that new market paradigm, but much of console gamers aren't. They wrongly assumed everyone is ready for that. Years in the future, that's probably where it's headed as disc media are phased out, but not now yet.)

Catseyetiger wrote:

one would hope the red ring of death will not happen again.

There will always be Gen-1 issues; that's what we're always wary buying Gen-1, including PS4 (which would actually be running hotter than XB1 and thus more wary about heating issues). Good thing is RRD hasn't been an issue for years (when's the last time you've seen that in the news), so it seems they've learned their lesson.

Spotlesseden wrote:
i guess Microsoft gave up on Asia. Look at the games, i think they are targeting Asians in US either.

It kinda makes sense to focus first on certain countries that's more necessary for them, instead of the shotgun approach. Remember, even the 3DS and PS Vita focused first on some countries more than others.

What I think is also holding XB1 up in some countries is the TV deals: the XB1 has a TV component (HDMI input) that functions sorta TV tuner that would best work only with the domestic TV companies' cooperation. They'd want the domestic TV deals in place before they launch there; otherwise, buyers would feel they'd paid more for a system with a component they can't even use yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1