• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Eccentric Family (Uchōten Kazoku) (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

One thing I have trouble connecting with is how they get locked up and just stay quiet tanuki, while it seems natural for a human to use all tools at their disposal to escape. If they can transform and even change their size from mountains, trains, and even a small charm why can't they easily escape by turning a mouse or a snake (maybe even a frog)? They gave thespoiler[ reasons of inner peace, but it would not be impossible to calm themselves inside a cage] would it?

And when your life is in danger you don't worry about staying quiet and keep some secret, no you kick up a big stink and make someone get you out. Perhaps they just don't understand that if they revealed themselves, then a human would probably let them go. I could also see the plan of spoiler[the oldest turning himself into a plush toy tanuki that would probably confuse the professor enough into opening the cage confused].

Clear possibilities like that make it a bit hard to believe the possibility. Like they can turn into a giant tiger, why can't they do that and go for the throat instead of the butt.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:59 am Reply with quote
I am torn up about Benten on one hand,I would like to see her back-story on the other I really dont want to since that would ruin her biggest appeal which is enigma.Like that Clint Eastwood movie "Pale Rider" I was constantly yearning to find out main characters motivation,but if I found out I dont think that I would have liked that film as much as I do.With only one episode left,I am left to believe that her personality wont be revealed.
Quote:
One thing I have trouble connecting with is how they get locked up and just stay quiet tanuki, while it seems natural for a human to use all tools at their disposal to escape.

When something upsets them,they arent capable of holding their transformation.I am guessing that they find getting locked up in a cage to be deeply disturbing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:04 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
When something upsets them,they arent capable of holding their transformation.I am guessing that they find getting locked up in a cage to be deeply disturbing.

They pretty much live in a shrine, you would expect some sort of spiritual ability to centre themselves in any situation. Especially since losing their transformation seems like the easiest way to lose their lives.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:24 am Reply with quote
I think it must be a manifestation of their idiot blood. Smile Kaisei was able to maintain her shape while spoiler[hearing her father betray her uncle], which seems like it would be seriously disruptive to one's inner peace. And Yasaburo has held his shape repeatedly under some pretty darn terrifying situations. But I can see how he would be having trouble keeping balanced around his infuriating cousins.

So did I misunderstand what they were saying or was the one brother really spoiler[impersonating the entire building?] Smile
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:32 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well, we already know how some of next episode will go thanks to the spoilers in the preview (and next episode title, for crying out loud).

Watch how you use that pronoun "we". ;p I don't watch previews, so I don't really know what's coming. Where's the fun in being spoiled?
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:34 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
danilo07 wrote:

They pretty much live in a shrine, you would expect some sort of spiritual ability to centre themselves in any situation. Especially since losing their transformation seems like the easiest way to lose their lives.

From what we have seen most of time they dont get captured actually.Now tanukis from what we have know are mostly lazy idiots with fatalistic altitudes,they dont really appear like dudes that would train spiritual ability to centre themselves in any situation,especially if getting locked up in a cage doesnt seem like that much of a threat.
There has been another narrative explanation for their inability(its from the site that cant be named,user handle is Quarkboy ):
Quote:
I think the part about them not being able to escape a cage goes back to their "folk-tale" nature.

People tell stories about Tanuki in the wild as tricksters, etc, but they do exist as real creatures. Sometimes they get caught in cages...
Let's say you're a little kid who's heard all these stories about tanuki and you ask your parents when seeing one in a cage "Mom, why can't the tanuki just transform into something small and escape?" and mom has to come up with some excuse (because Tanukis aren't ACTUALLY magical).

It's the same reason why normal humans can't understand them talking when they're in their tanuki form. A tanuki in a cage isn't magical or mythological, it's suddenly governed by reality.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:28 am Reply with quote
Two episodes left, there are actually 13 eps not 12.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:43 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Two episodes left, there are actually 13 eps not 12.

Oh that is great! I really shouldn't trust those episode lists on ANN.
LKK

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:44 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
There has been another narrative explanation for their inability(its from the site that can't be named,user handle is Quarkboy )

For those who don't know, Quarkboy is the series' translator.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

"I AM BACK IN THE GAME!!!"

Oh man, that was the absolute best way to start this episode. I loved it! Yajiro<3

This entire episode was fun despite the seriousness of the situation. I like how the situation is setting itself up for the next episode. All of the players are aligned, and it looks to be like a good fun time.

spoiler[Watching everyone's plans get screwed up brought a big smile upon my face. Am I the only one here who wants to punch all of the Friday Fellows in the face despite most of them being ignorant of the situation? I don't imagine any one of them will be made aware of what they're doing, so at least I got a little bit of pleasure watching Yajiro ram their meeting place down.]

The philosophy of the one guy, while interesting, is still being forced upon others who have to suffer the consequences. And he gets to remain blissfully ignorant of the truth. It pisses me off.

And f*** Soun too. But I imagine we're going to see him sweat during the finale.

spoiler[I kinda wonder about that old guy Benten was talking to though. If he and Benten were in that room the entire time Yasaburo was saving Yaichiro, then he would have heard everything. Are they playing Yasaburo in order to eat him or help him? And what was that trick with the rope? Is he a tanuki or a tengu or something else?]

And will we finally understand Benten's motivations or what she wants during the final episode?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:42 am Reply with quote
I sure hope so.

Anyway, definitely a fun episode. Although I'm not sure what the Temperance League would make of the role that alcohol plays in bringing about good results in this show.

If NISA doesn't get this show for one of its wonderful Premium Editions there really is no justice left in the world.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
>I'm back in the game

Oh God, I had to replay that scene several times. The episode was decent although I can't seem to read Benten again. That railway ride looked fun though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:57 am Reply with quote
Gosh, i love this show! What is fun is good, indeed! Laughing It was great to see spoiler[all of the brothers working together.]

Really looking forward to next week now. The setup forspoiler[ the showdown(?) is as ironic as can be with all the tanuki in one room and the Friday Fellas next door.]
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
If NISA doesn't get this show for one of its wonderful Premium Editions there really is no justice left in the world.

A-F***ING-MEN. This would be the first NISA premium release that I really wanted right off the bat. I'm happy with all of the ones I've bought within the past few years, but what I really want is for them to pick up a series that I'm gnawing at the bone for. This would be that series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
If the old prez of NISA was still in the saddle, my confidence for them getting this would be extremely high. Unfortunately, he left (or was booted out) and now the current prez of NIS has taken this job too (I guess his original job just wasn't giving him enough to do Rolling Eyes )

Anyway, with this new regime in place I'm not quite as sanguine about the chances of them getting it as I otherwise would be. It's too bad, because at one time a title like this was virtually tailor-made for what NISA publicly stated they were looking for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 11