• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Trojan Targets Winny Users with Anime Pictures

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am Reply with quote
God ****ing hell, can't they do something betetr than writing up viruses? Isn't giving people viruses illegal? The RIAA was gonna try it, but stopped short of executing it.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:28 am Reply with quote
As an avid Kanon watcher, those quotes are pretty darn amusing. "Don't use P2P or Akiko's going to give you some of her special JAM."

Sucks for the Winny users though.
Raptor2023

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:44 am Reply with quote
HAHAHA! That's the funniest virus I have ever seen! I love the Kanon series and those quotes are funny as hell.

Some quotes they could have used:

"Uguu~! Stop using Winny now! You meanie!"

"Auu~, if you don't stop using Winny I'm going to start playing pranks on you!"

Mai: *Stare* *Pulls out sword* Nuff said.
irishninja

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
God ****ing hell, can't they do something betetr than writing up viruses? Isn't giving people viruses illegal? The RIAA was gonna try it, but stopped short of executing it.

21st-century vigilantism at its... best? It's delicious irony, though, making a statement to those who break the law by breaking a different law. In fact, I think distributing a virus is a felony, while copyright violation is not. Rolling Eyes
Yoda117

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:13 pm Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:
In fact, I think distributing a virus is a felony, while copyright violation is not. Rolling Eyes

I do hope you said that in sarcasm...

FWIW, something like this was reported recently on the ISC. Some variants had a nice little sub7style of trojan. I'd love to get a copy of this for examination in my home lab.
Kouji

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:34 pm Reply with quote
This is just a stupid and hypocritical way of handling this. It's not as if people can't get anime screencaps from other sources anyway like, I don't know, maybe every fansite in existence? And if they're trying to stop illegal downloading with these viruses, wouldn't it be more productive for the virus to pose as an mp3 or a full-length episode rather than something as harmless as a screencap?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:10 pm Reply with quote
those Ayu ones are hilarious... i guess it's not a laughing matter though, if you're one of the victims.

i think i'm gonna stop using "Share" now.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
This is just a stupid and hypocritical way of handling this. It's not as if people can't get anime screencaps from other sources anyway like, I don't know, maybe every fansite in existence? And if they're trying to stop illegal downloading with these viruses, wouldn't it be more productive for the virus to pose as an mp3 or a full-length episode rather than something as harmless as a screencap?

it's not a screencap, this is what it overwrites your files with when it starts erasing them.

Last edited by v1cious on Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gauss

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
And if they're trying to stop illegal downloading with these viruses, wouldn't it be more productive for the virus to pose as an mp3 or a full-length episode rather than something as harmless as a screencap?

Because if it uses an MP3 or Avi file extension it won't execute, your MP3/Video player will simply open and tell you the file is of an unsupported format. By posing as a screensaver it can keep the EXE extension which means the virus program automatically runs when clicked on.
mufurc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:38 pm Reply with quote
And who the hell opens an .exe file they downloaded from a P2P network? Really....
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:23 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
And who the hell opens an .exe file they downloaded from a P2P network? Really....

you'd be surprised how many stupid people will click something without doing a virus scan. also most screensavers are in .exe format, so it's easy to see how it could happen.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Laughing That was comical. It reminds me of a picture that areaseven created and shared in an anti fansub-requesting thread that is stickied on the Anime General Boards.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I find this rather, well, ignorant on part of the creator of the virus because not only is it illegal, but the fact that he's saying to stop ALL P2P, not just P2P of copyrighted materials. I know he did this on a site known for having copyrighted materials, but then you have to think that maybe the "downloader" just wanted to get a new screensaver and came upon that, which then proceeded to eat his computer. People who aren't that familiar with it would most likely fall for it, while veterans would know better. What if he had put the file on a site that hosts trackers and whatnot for non-copyrighted material or for copyrighted material whose makers uploaded it there to lessen the burden on themselves? I know that this can be a case of the pot calling the kettle black, but in this case the kettle is jet black while the kettle is a brownish color.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh sweet Jebus, I think I just shat myself laughing. That is GENIUS!
d.yaro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:11 am Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
picture that areaseven created

Hmmm... I have a copy of that picture dating back to 2002 where the message starts with "Everytime you masturbate... God kills a...". Wonder which came first?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2