• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Bizarre School Clubs

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:16 am Reply with quote
People are still saying The Lion King is either Kimba or Hamlet?

It's a bit of both + other things (the Egyptian gods Horus and Osiris, the Prodigal Son, etc.) + Elton John music + Awesome
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:16 am Reply with quote
I think the Going Home Club in Chronicles of the Going Home Club is rather unusual too.

Always nice to see the SOS Brigade on there. Would have been nice to have seen the SKET-dan on there instead of the Eyeglasses Club, but all in all, a good list.
Araki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:20 am Reply with quote
Eyeglass club, seriously? From a series that didn't even start yet? Okay..
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:26 am Reply with quote
LavenderMintRose wrote:

It's a bit of both + other things (the Egyptian gods Horus and Osiris, the Prodigal Son, etc.) + Elton John music + Awesome

I agree. They clearly borrowed some of the imagery from Kimba the White Lion (Jungle King Leo in the original), but the plot is incredibly different. If I'm forced to do an either-or I'll go with "Simba" (whose name, incidentally, isn't a ripoff of Kimba; it's Swahili for "lion" - just like Mufasa means "king" and Rafiki means "friend"), but there's definitely some of both.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:31 am Reply with quote
All of these either are or sound like worthy choices, especially the #1. Had a seventh been included, the "paranormal club run by a ghost" (i.e., from Dusk maiden of Amnesia) would have been an appropriate pick, since a) one of the club members doesn't know that the president is a ghost, and b) part of the club's mission is to investigate rumors behind how and why the president is a ghost.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
All of these either are or sound like worthy choices, especially the #1. Had a seventh been included, the "paranormal club run by a ghost" (i.e., from Dusk maiden of Amnesia) would have been an appropriate pick, since a) one of the club members doesn't know that the president is a ghost, and b) part of the club's mission is to investigate rumors behind how and why the president is a ghost.

It was actually in my original draft but I thought the premise was too close to the SOS Brigade that writing it sounded too similar.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
animalia555

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
For those of you who don't know Simba is Swahili for LION. So I say it is a pretty safe bet that the name was NOT taken from an anime.
animalia555

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
LavenderMintRose wrote:

I agree. They clearly borrowed some of the imagery from Kimba the White Lion (Jungle King Leo in the original), but the plot is incredibly different. If I'm forced to do an either-or I'll go with "Simba" (whose name, incidentally, isn't a ripoff of Kimba; it's Swahili for "lion" - just like Mufasa means "king" and Rafiki means "friend"), but there's definitely some of both.
sorry i should have read your post before i made my own about Simna's name
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Visually, Lion King almost certainly ripped the hell off of Kimba, even the animal sidekicks are really damn similar. Pride Rock has a fairly similar location in Kimba too. And some of the early Lion King artwork shows a white lion cub.
My guess is they couldn't actually get the rights somehow, so they had to scrap it and go with Hamlet and just kept the imagery. But Tezuka Productions is a nice company and Tezuka was originally inspired by Disney. But if this had happened in reverse, Disney would clearly be suing the hell out of Tezuka.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
My guess is they couldn't actually get the rights somehow, so they had to scrap it and go with Hamlet and just kept the imagery.

Your guess based on...?

I do agree that if there were as many visual similarities going in the other direction, Disney would be suing. I wish they'd just admit they were inspired by some of the images in Kimba so they could stop the conspiracy theories.

animalia555 wrote:
sorry i should have read your post before i made my own about Simna's name

Double-posting just reinforces the point. Smile
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
My guess is they couldn't actually get the rights somehow, so they had to scrap it and go with Hamlet and just kept the imagery.

Your guess based on...?

The fact that overthrowing-evil-uncle story is obliviously re-made from ecological moraliet about co-existence of animals and humans?
C'mon go with the flow and join one of the greatest butthurts in fandom history.
victor viper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
For bizarre school clubs, the Chupacabra Research Club from Negima!? came to mind. It's too bad that a nontrivial portion of the franchise's fan base never gave that particular incarnation much of a chance.
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quote
My pick for a club would be The Half-Priced Food Lovers Club from
Ben-To.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Visually, Lion King almost certainly ripped the hell off of Kimba, even the animal sidekicks are really damn similar. Pride Rock has a fairly similar location in Kimba too. And some of the early Lion King artwork shows a white lion cub.
My guess is they couldn't actually get the rights somehow, so they had to scrap it and go with Hamlet and just kept the imagery. But Tezuka Productions is a nice company and Tezuka was originally inspired by Disney. But if this had happened in reverse, Disney would clearly be suing the hell out of Tezuka.

Mathew Broderick's said he did the movie because he thought it was a remake of Kimba.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
It's also a bit of a myth that Disney ripped off Tezuka when Tezuka was ripping off Disney for much of his early years and even boasted that when others were sitting in the cinema watching Disney animations he was there sketching the characters for himself for designs of his own, so one hand washes the other. Wink

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4