• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Space Dandy to Run on TV in Japan, N. America, Asia in January

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panoptican

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:54 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's crazy. Has a show ever premiered in multiple countries like this dubbed in different languages? Pretty exciting stuff.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:56 am Reply with quote
Eh, probably shouldn't have briefly gotten my hopes up that it'd be on a channel I can watch, though my Rogers analogue cable doesn't even get basic Teletoon anymore, let alone Cartoon Network Canada/Adult Swim Canada.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:57 am Reply with quote
Panoptican wrote:
Wow, that's crazy. Has a show ever premiered in multiple countries like this dubbed in different languages? Pretty exciting stuff.

It recently happened with Pokemon XY and there's been cases of shows premiering outside of Japan first, so this isn't entirely unusual. However, it's a pretty big deal though that Adult Swim is going to take the step in broadcasting roughly the same time as Japan, since I don't believe they've done so before, outside of shows already far ahead of where the network is.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:02 am Reply with quote
Panoptican wrote:
Kurokami: The Animation did years ago.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-12-14/bandai-entertainment-gets-kurokami-anime

Though I remember hearing that turned out to be a disaster. The home video releases were a disaster as well, with us getting dub-only BD's to prevent reverse-importation.

Anyway, this is rather interesting, though I do wonder how it's going to work out in the end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:03 am Reply with quote
Panoptican: They're probably hoping it'll be the next Bebop, but I don't think it'll work out that way.

Tenchi: AS should upload the episodes on the official site eventually.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
Nitpicking like usual, but, as I'm guessing, North America refers to the US (and possibly Canada?). I honestly wish the article would say this kind of stuff more specifically, and I know it's annoying that I bring it up every damn time, but it's sort of grating that the title is "the show will be available in N.A. (except in YOUR country which is also N.A. but not the part of N.A. that gets nice stuff)"
TheGameNinja

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:08 am Reply with quote
So will it be on Toonami then?
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:16 am Reply with quote
Whoah... that was unexpected. Bravo.
mistress_kisara

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:17 am Reply with quote
That's good, Asia never gets any simulcasts (except for K and Coppelion).
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
It's getting an Odex dub. Anime cry

Not feeling particularly hopeful about this right now...

-
-
-
-
-

(edited to add) I just re-read and saw Funimation's involvement. That's is miles above Odex. Not feeling so bad now.

Last edited by tuxedocat on Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:26 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
It's getting an Odex dub. Anime cry

Not feeling particularly hopeful about this right now...

It says Funimation is handling the dub.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:36 am Reply with quote
Seems like everyone's pouring a lot of effort and money into this before it even premiers, what if it's really stupid and not in a good way? I hope the Adult Swim airing isn't censored, but I'll probably for the Japanese audio fansubs anyway.

CrowLia wrote:
Nitpicking like usual, but, as I'm guessing, North America refers to the US (and possibly Canada?). I honestly wish the article would say this kind of stuff more specifically, and I know it's annoying that I bring it up every damn time, but it's sort of grating that the title is "the show will be available in N.A. (except in YOUR country which is also N.A. but not the part of N.A. that gets nice stuff)"

As far as Americans are generally concerned, Mexico may as well be South America. I imagine there would always be an "except Mexico" if they were to specify America and Canada in NA, I think it's quite obvious it's usually referring to those two.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:41 am Reply with quote
http://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/press_pdf/1/675.pdf
Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

MOST ANTICIPATED UPCOMING TV SERIES “SPACE DANDY”
TO BE BROADCAST SIMULTANEOUSLY WORLDWIDE!

Tokyo, Japan, October 25, 2013 – Bandai Visual Co., Ltd., a leader in the development and production of Japanese animation, announced the simultaneous TV broadcast of “Space Dandy” in Japan, North America and Asia, starting January 2014! This marks the first time that a Japanese TV anime series will be televised simultaneously in numerous countries.

North America
English production will be handled by FUNimation Entertainment, a Group 1200 Media Company, in association with the Space Dandy Production Committee in Japan, and the series will be aired on Adult Swim in North America in English. FUNimation has acquired the home entertainment, digital, theatrical, and merchandise rights to the series...
Relenus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:42 am Reply with quote
Thank you based Watanabe, may the series premiere herald your building a palace on the sun and ascending into godhood.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:45 am Reply with quote
HYPE. Now that it will reach even a bigger audience, I'm pretty damn excited for this. It could be the next big thing for 2014.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5