• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Btooom! GN 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
Well the series does feel like Cage of Eden at various points with its settings and survival theme. But yeah, there's always that trust issue going on especially later on.

Decent review. I didn't mind the violence though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
A manga and show that definitely isn't easy going down...

It's a shame we'll never get another season of the show, since I really enjoyed it.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying the series but there is something I feel like I'm not connecting with; I'm not sure if its the characters or if I'm subconsciously comparing to Battle Royale.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dimlos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:04 am Reply with quote
Hellwarden wrote:
It's a shame we'll never get another season of the show, since I really enjoyed it.
Why, the DVD/BDs didn't sell well enough?
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
Hellwarden wrote:

Oh, it was a complete failure. Didn't move units at all...
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Hellwarden wrote:
Dimlos wrote:
Hellwarden wrote:

Oh, it was a complete failure. Didn't move units at all...
Thanks Japanese otaku. Thanks for nothing.

I didn't think that this, from what I saw of the simulcast, would be the "Greatest Show Evar" but it was certainly preferable to a bulk of what the anime studios are currently pumping out. It was dark, violent and tried to have something of a point...something the fujoshi fodder & "cute girls doin' cute stuff cutely" can't be bothered to trifle with.

Damn the tasteless, ever-insulated oligarchy that is the Japanese otaku community for its heavy-handed oppression of most any show that even remotely tries to break the mold.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:47 am Reply with quote
Well the Japanese do love cutesy but look at shows like AoT that's done fantastically well for not bing cutesy.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:44 am Reply with quote
@Echo_City
Wrong assumption. Look at the sales figures. Lots of them fail. They're pumped out at about the same rate as everything else because, cutesy, otaku and fujoshi fare have no better chance at selling video units than any other genre. Leaving aside using anime to promote the source material or merchandise, since we're only comparing video here, if what you say is true then Attack on Titan or JoJo's Bizarre Adventure would not be the big hits they are, and the best sellers would all be those types you hate. Yet that is far from the reality.

How do you explain the all the variety? I get the feeling you don't keep track of the 30 - 35 new shows that actually comes out each season... How do you even explain the sports or competitive event shows that are constantly produced? Remember a success of a show you hate, does not preclude the success of another you may like.

And it is also the otaku who are helping to purchase your beloved shows. Because who else can afford $400 - $500 per cour per show? Most great sellers are only in the tens thousands copies sold per volume average. That means out of millions of TV viewers, only a few actually buy them. Heck, Btooom is an otaku title. Just look at the fanservice. But like other otaku titles, it's not guaranteed to sell.

Maybe you should stop worrying about who to blame.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And it is also the otaku who are helping to purchase your beloved shows. Because who else can afford $400 - $500 per cour per show? Most great sellers are only in the tens thousands copies sold per volume average. That means out of millions of TV viewers, only a few actually buy them
That's what I meant when I called them an oligarchy. The Japanese otaku, who have been stereotyped by even their own shows in a negative fashion, decide which shows live and which shows die according to their whims. If my tastes were more in line with theirs then I might not mind that we have an ever-shrinking (and, paradoxically more powerful), ever more eccentric "death panel" for anime that I, and no American fan, has sway over.

I stand by my assertion that we do not get many dark or serious shows. Attack on Titan is an exception in that it is dark (but not very serious, unless you believe that seriousness and melodrama can coexist) but it would be a disservice to content that it doesn't have Otaku pandering elements (eg:the idiotic, and fan-favorite, "potato girl"). I do keep up with a bulk of the current simulcasts each season and I argue that they support my assertion.
Chipp12

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
The show sold poorly but the original manga got a solid bump after it's airing:
Vol.01 <24,491
Vol.02 <48,097
Vol.03 <20,366
Vol.04 <20,329
Vol.05 28,714 (first ranking)
Vol.06 25,284
Vol.07 41,385
Vol.08 57,867
Vol.09 63,216
(anime airing)
Vol.10 99,169
Vol.11 96,597
Vol.12 105,620

So there are still chances that it will be continued.
hpulley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:21 am Reply with quote
I imported all 6 Blurays and have bought all 12 volumes of the manga and often buy Bunch magazine too. But not many locals were with me...

The manga bump is good but unfortunately the other problem with season 2 is it will take another few years until there is enough material for a second season and by then the manga will probably be over so there will be no reason to make more anime to advertise it. Sadly, season one is probably all we'll get animated. The manga will have to do for the rest of the story.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Survival stories are all the rage now. I like Vertical's Limit, and while this sounds more graphic, it's certainly worth looking into if I found it at the library. Thanks, Rebecca, for another good review of a manga that I probably wouldn't have given a second glance at. You described the appeal of the dark, suspenseful plot quite well.

Re: AoT: Sasha Blouse may start out as the comic relief "Potato Girl" (note: comic relief is not the same as fanservice), but she sure doesn't stay that way.

Otherwise I agree that it's a bit melodramatic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1