• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-04-13]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Those leopards are the best part of your article.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Vision of Escaflowne is currently available on Anime Selects on Comcast On Demand. Japanese with subtitles, no less.

I'd like to see it broadcast somewhere, too, even with the sort of mediocre dub it has. Hopefully most people have long forgotten the terror of the Fox broadcast version. It's a really excellent series.

Last edited by penguintruth on Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Ah... I sure missed the column, Zac-sama.

I actually read the rant in one sitting (believe it or not), and well, there are some points well taken. I may not know much about [translated] manga publishing issues there in the US, but it seems it may be more often than not a bit of a mess.

Sweet baby leopard picture n__n.

And the flake... Well, don't have anything to say, and if there was anything I could actually mention about it, it'd be a full Qué patético (Pathetic)

Kudos to you, Zac! And to your personal banner maker n_n
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I am a registered Republican, and pretty socially conservative (although I'm moderate when it comes to economical politics). I simply don't bring up politics on a message board forum designed for anime unless I feel it is really pertinent, which isn't too often.
scortia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
It's sad that Esca couldn't find a home on television. I mean, the dub is pretty poor, but I should hope age wouldn't be the deciding factor. Esca's one of those series that every anime fan should watch, but sadly many don't because of the noses. ~_~;; A horrible reason, but quite true.

Yeah Sakura ended very beautifully... the manga's conclusion was slightly different, but in the same place plot-wise. We all know what happens to anime that makes up storylines not in the original manga anyhow. *cries for Kenshin and every shounen series with filler arcs* I wish I could agree Tsubasa was a suitable replacement. I'd have to say the only CLAMP series that annoys me more than Tsubasa is Chobits. But they're both pretty dreadful imho.
pixiebell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Bravo on the new "Rant Rant Rant" rules! I missed your column Zac, it is what got me interested in ANN in the first place. I'm glad you are answering our questions again.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Maybe we should change the name of the site to Toddler News Network! It'd totally fit with the rising popularity of lolicon anime!

Toddlercon =/= Lolicon

There's a huge difference. I personally find toddlercon disgusting.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Maybe we should change the name of the site to Toddler News Network! It'd totally fit with the rising popularity of lolicon anime!

Toddlercon ≠Lolicon.

Bleh, I like lolicon anime, but I'm disgusted by toddlercon. I mean jeez, At least wait until the girl is out of diapers before you start screwing her. >_>

Edit:
HIVEMIND

Last edited by Wolverine Princess on Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Son Biggie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Vision of Escaflowne is currently available on Anime Selects on Comcast On Demand. Japanese with subtitles, no less.

ahh I didn't know that I was thinking about checking that out it would be nice if Escaflowne could go into Cartoon Network but like Zac said they would do the same thing there going to . Hack/ roots put it on at 4:30 am or 5:00am but I would watch it or... just use my DVR
Cowboy Cadenza

Dammit, Zac, now I'm going to up all night trying to think of a good rant topic. Annoying anime fans is pretty much all I have to rant about...
LydiaDianne

Quote:
on the forums of our dear friends, AnimeonDVD.com.

I'm not exactly feeling the love here. Sarcasm maybe but not the looove!

Quote:
Here's what I don't want:

* Responses to previous rants about lolicon/dubbing/fansubs/anime fans who suck a lot
* 200 words about how awesome Dragonball is
* New rants about lolicon/dubbing/fansubs/anime fans who suck a lot
* Anything that's really, really boring.

The next rant I publish will either conform to these guidelines or we simply won't have one that week. Rather than always publishing a rant - which I've been doing in the past, even if the rant was awful - I'll simply skip the section. Sound good?

Yes, it sounds very good and I like the idea!

Loved the snow lepards!
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Today's Flake of the Week was okay but the funniest was when:

-Someone asked when the Power REanger wil be released in a box set
-Someone asked Answermen what yoai series he prefered
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow that rant was great this week. Plus i got a better look on the manga companies.

Also that Card captor sakura question i would of made a flake. But then again it could be a n00b and doing that would be mean.

i wonder how much mail zac gets? i bet my email is lost and small to find.
Asako

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, good rant or no rant at all. I think that's a great idea Smile Lets hope no one starts to argue what a good rant is and what isn't haha Anime hyper

Yess... the leopards are adorable!!! and your new banner is cute too!

Films: Hmm, that makes sense that most anime feature films are not produced if it costs that much. Advertising can make or break a company so I can understand that Sad It makes me wonder when the popularity of anime will be so great to be able to regularly feature films that produce box office numbers (besides Disney and Sony pushes). Maybe only then we can expect to watch our favorite films on the big screen!

Of course, the market there is also declining. Most films come out on DVD after 6 months. Home theaters are on the rise. Many families are preferring to stay at home in comfort than go to a theater where it costs a helluva lot more to see what they want and be restricted to a tiny airplane seat. Oh, and no outside food allowed Smile

Astroturfing: Wow I didn't know they had a term coined for that. It must be common. (quote Broken Arrow: "I don't know what's scarier - losing nuclear weapons or that it happens so often that we have a name for it.") Hmm, very sneaky and evil! Very Happy

Voice Actors: Hmm, this brings up a question. Does that mean these voice actors get paid for making appearances? I imagine they do, but I'm not sure.

Flake: Well.. can't blame a guy for trying... or can we? Shocked

Last edited by Asako on Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You know, all these years have passed since I first saw Escaflowne (I originally saw it on 3rd generation VHS fansubs about 10 years ago at my local anime club) and it's still one of my favorite shows.

I knew I liked you Zac. Smile

I would agree with the ranter on many points but I just can't since he seems to be under the misconception that the Mai-Hime manga is a 'very good series'. :/
(Tokyopop's translation of NHK ni Youkoso is indeed quite shockingly good however. And they've really improved with Furuba as well.)

I'm glad he mentioned how fantastic Del Rey is, although I don't think he mentioned any of their best work (show more love for Nodame Cantabile!), and I do think they really set the standard for what a publishing company can do to satisfy both avid, purist fans and casual readers alike. Seven Seas is also doing great work, and, I know I'm going to be controversial here, even CMX can do a good job too -- I absolutely love their treatment of Victorian Romance Emma and I hope the fact that it's one of their titles won't stop people from reading one of my favourite series.

I think we all feel frustrated by the publishing company's very real need to accomidate as many readers as possible, both the hard core fans who wish they could read it in japanese and the novices who have no idea what manga is but like comics and enjoy a good story. I certainly don't *like* not reading 'onii-chan' or having cultural references obliterated 'for my benefit', but I understand why these things happen. I'm lucky because I can read the originals too if I wanted (well, for some titles anyway ;- ) but I support the english releases as well because I love manga and want the market to thrive. We should all be a little more grateful we have these series available at all, even if the lack of honourifics do drive us crazy. *grins*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10