• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Suzuki: Hayao Miyazaki Is Drawing Samurai Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Cool! It's nice to hear Miyazaki is still creating things. I loved his Nausicaa manga. I wonder if there's any hope of it getting a simulpub from Crunchyroll?
dan9999

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
If not films, let go back to making tv series Miyazaki, anime is in a dire situation and needs quality anime.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote
You just can't stop this guy! I admire him! I hope I'm able to continue drawing and making works of art when I'm his age. He's such an inspiration! Very Happy
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
........anime is in a dire situation and needs quality anime.

Yeah, no. It's a case of you not personally liking what is being made, as opposed to series not cutting it from a quality standpoint. Rolling Eyes
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
dan9999 wrote:
........anime is in a dire situation and needs quality anime.

Yeah, no. It's a case of you not personally liking what is being made, as opposed to series not cutting it from a quality standpoint. Rolling Eyes

I'd say it's both easily. Other than a few standouts (Flowers of Evil, Attack on Titan, Gargantia, Kill la Kill, and a few others), the industry has been lacking a lot.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Not at all. There have been plenty of quality works recently. Heck, this season I'm watching a lot more currently-airing series than I have in years.

I certainly do welcome Miyazaki back to the realm of manga. Nausicaa was certainly amazing.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Will ''The Wind Rises'' be dubbed into English language?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Southkaio wrote:
Will ''The Wind Rises'' be dubbed into English language?
Allegedly Disney already has rights to do just that, allegedly. Not sure how that will work when they realise just what the story is all about. Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk: Actually, it's gotta be even more awkward in English, considering it becomes self-deprecating-with lines like Japanese characters describing their culture as "primitive". If we produced something like this here, it would be attacked, because people would associate it with those anti-Japanese WW2 propaganda cartoons.

As such, I think The Wind Rises is probably the first Ghibli film Disney is altruistically behind here, because they got no incentive to support it, otherwise. They can't sell it like Totoro or Kiki, and the subject matter might piss off the Wal-Mart rednecks who like hazing America's Got Talent contestants for being Japanese. And while those stories about the production being so expensive, it still hasn't made its money back, are probably true, we're still not as big a market for Ghibli movies as Japan. So, yeah, I imagine this is really about honoring the long-term relationship they've had with Miyazaki as a whole.
DTJB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:28 am Reply with quote
Seems the urge to create never does go away.
insert name here

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
They can't sell it like Totoro or Kiki, and the subject matter might piss off the Wal-Mart rednecks who like hazing America's Got Talent contestants for being Japanese.

I like how many people on twitter are using the phrase "the J a p" like its the fu¢k1ng 1940's. These people are dumb enough to be racist but smart enough to learn historical racial epithets developed out of WWII propaganda.

Anyway, on a more positive note, I can see making comics as a nice form of retirement for an artist like Miyazaki. You still get to draw and tell stories, but without any of the hassle of having to fund, manage, and distribute a muti-million dollar movie production.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
Oh yes, I hope this is true! Very Happy

I read Nausicaa years ago, it's a masterpiece and easily one of the best manga I ever read, so having more manga from him would be great!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1