• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Log Horizon Episodes 1 - 6 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If we have to be told over and over that she's pretty, there's something off with the art.

Well, I think Akatsuki is pretty. One of the top 3 girls of the season
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:12 am Reply with quote
I've been on the fence about watching this series, but this review makes it sound like it could be worth checking out.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quote
Rebecca wrote:
What if the NPCs, called “People of the Land,” are, in fact, people? That rather than being trapped within a game, the players have been transported to a different place that merely functions like the game? While this may be reading far too much into the story, the idea is intriguing, and would add an extra dimension to the story.

This is one of the more intriguing aspects of the anime for me. It fascinated me when Shiroe said in episode 5 that it might be the players who are the strange characters in that world, not being able to die and possessing superior combat/magic abilities. And I can't help but shake the fact that both Shiroe and Akatsuki, when talking about the mechanics of previous versions of Elder Tale, always start by saying When Elder Tale was a game... which to me strongly implies that it no longer is. I'm definitely curious to see how Shiroe plans to clean up Akiba at least. This show has had my attention from the start and continues to maintain it.

Another thing that distances this from SAO is that these main characters are all in their 20s (and I'm pretty sure Nyanta is older than that).

Also, no idea how you can't think that Akatsuki is cute. Particularly with Henrietta doting on her and when she attempts to continue her roleplaying in spite of her obvious affection for Shiroe she can be downright adorable.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:12 am Reply with quote
I do think she's cute - I don't think she's pretty. (Or as pretty as the other female characters.) Actually, I think she's downright adorable - my issue is more aesthetic, and that's totally subjective. Smile

Megiddo wrote:
always start by saying When Elder Tale was a game... which to me strongly implies that it no longer is.

Or at least it isn't to them, which is also an interesting thing to factor in. In any event, that is the most intriguing piece of the show to me and what pulled me in after my initial dismissal of it during the Preview Guide.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Strange, I don't remember any character calling Akatsuki "pretty". Cute and adorable, yes, but not "pretty".
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Strange, I don't remember any character calling Akatsuki "pretty". Cute and adorable, yes, but not "pretty".

I think that Naotsugu called her "bishojo" in episode 1.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I also find Akatsuki to be adorable and pretty in this series. As far as Log Horizon goes so far, I'm enjoying it fairly more than I had thought as a fantasy adventure that explains its mechanics well. The pacing so far feels a little slow but I don't mind it. The show itself might not be earth shattering so far but definitely has my attention.

The latest episode also made me a bit hungry...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I do think she's cute - I don't think she's pretty.

I dunno, when she smiles in the ED, I find it rather enchanting.

Eye of the beholder and all that, I suppose.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Akatsuki is normally fairly cute is a generic kind of way, but when she unties her ponytail she does look attractive.

Review wrote:
first six episodes don't go quite far enough to avoid comparison with its predecessors.

See, this is unfair. It is almost impossible for a work of fiction to be so different to everything else that it cannot be compared whatsoever to any of its predecessors or contemporaries. Log Horizon is part of certain genres and sub-genres and so comparisons are inevitable.

And it's not like comparisons are necessarily negative things. There's plenty of areas where Log Horizon is superior to Sword Art Online.
kanechin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote
akatsuki ruins the show for me, always attacking naotsugu for starting to say any perverted thing.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
See, this is unfair. It is almost impossible for a work of fiction to be so different to everything else that it cannot be compared whatsoever to any of its predecessors or contemporaries. Log Horizon is part of certain genres and sub-genres and so comparisons are inevitable.

She's not saying it has to be utterly and completely different; she's only saying that it should be different enough to distinguish itself. That's a fair criticism at any point during a series, and one that I also made about the first episode.

Still haven't seen past episode 1, and while it sounds like the series does get a little better than my very low opinion of the first episode, I'm not seeing enough merit mentioned here to encourage me to watch any more of it at this time. Maybe if the end-of-series reviews are strong I'll check it out eventually, but this doesn't sound like it fits the "one of the best of the year" criteria I'm currently seeking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
kanechin wrote:
akatsuki ruins the show for me, always attacking naotsugu for starting to say any perverted thing.

so she should let him insult her, repeatedly?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
And it's not like comparisons are necessarily negative things. There's plenty of areas where Log Horizon is superior to Sword Art Online.

Namely, all areas.
unready

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
... novel-based anime series about people mysteriously trapped in an MMORPG ... Log Horizon's story takes place within the popular game “Elder Tales.” ... That rather than being trapped within a game, the players have been transported to a different place that merely functions like the game? While this may be reading far too much into the story, the idea is intriguing, and would add an extra dimension to the story.

They actually do say a few (2 or 3) times that they are not in a game, but in a world like the game they used to play. They don't dwell on it, though.

The game they used to play was not virtual reality. It was a keyboard/mouse/screen kind of game like any PC game that exists today.

I suspect that being in a world like a game vs being in a game will somehow lead to the eventual resolution (in the books, which are still on-going, so it's not going to happen in the anime), but in the meantime it seems freaky that everyone accepts it so readily. Unless people got sucked into their PCs TRON-style, it's something that had to be done to them, but no one is even slightly curious or outraged by whom.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I would just like to say that another difference between SAO and LH is that SAO is a LN series while LH is a novel series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4