• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tamako Market's New Anime Is a Film Opening in April

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Would KyoAni be very daring enough to make it about Tamako getting caught in a triangle between Midori and Mochizou? Surprised

Tamako looks kind of older in that key visual. Hmm...
jet_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
#TeamMidori
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Seems to be the "hip" thing now days to pair (i refuse to use the word ship) two girls together when theres really no hints at one of them being lesbian. I'm siding with Mochizou because he seemed more interested in her happiness while Midori just wanted her for her own reasons.
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Go #TeamMidori!
jet_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Seems to be the "hip" thing now days to pair (i refuse to use the word ship) two girls together when theres really no hints at one of them being lesbian. I'm siding with Mochizou because he seemed more interested in her happiness while Midori just wanted her for her own reasons.

But Midori IS a lesbian.
It's obvious even if you watch the anime muted and with no subs
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Seems to be the "hip" thing now days to pair (i refuse to use the word ship) two girls together when theres really no hints at one of them being lesbian.

Sorry, that doesn't work here. Tamako Market pretty much beat you over the head and screamed in your ears "LOOK, MIDORI IS GAAAAAAAAY". It's amazing how people choose to be willfully blind to homosexuality unless someone comes out and explicitly says they want to munch some rug or suck some shaft.
jet_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Also, shipping has been around for a very, very long time.
It's not a "hip" thing that started 1 or 2 years ago.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
jet_ wrote:

And it's not exclusive to homosexual pairings. Some anime are somewhat infamous for 'shipping wars' are het romance stories (generally of the harem/shonen romance variety).
Blazaking

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Oooh. I hope it's good Very Happy I always liked Tamako's setting and characters.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Hoping for a yuri end.
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Every time someone says "Midori isn't gay" I play this at full volume:

Girls can't love girls!
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Although I'd like a yuri ending if only for variety's sake, I really have to say #TeamMochizou all the way; he just cares for her and her happiness so genuinely it's hard not to root for him. Also, the way spoiler[he completely melted when Tamako gave him a last minute birthday present] was absolutely adorable
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, can't wait to see it!
Kreion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
jet_ wrote:

And it's not exclusive to homosexual pairings. Some anime are somewhat infamous for 'shipping wars' are het romance stories (generally of the harem/shonen romance variety).

What the op is on about is crack shipping, not shipping in general. I mean mentioning harems completely invalidates your point, because there's no crack shipping in them as long as it's character x Main character. Both of you are confusing shipping with stuipid fanshipping.

Let's use an example - In, say, Bleach you can ship rukia with Renji or ichigo. That's fine, there's no issue there - only renji has his feelins stated the others are implied but not said so we can only guess. Compare that to say Mirai Nikki, where Both Yukiteru and Yuuno are constantly shipped with Akise by some fans dispute blatantly loving each other and Akise having one-sided feelings for Yukiteru.

The former is Shipping - the latter is crack shipping. Of course you can go even farther by shipping shounen MC's with minor characters or random guys but it's all pretty nonsensical. And generally boils down to "these two characters are cool/cute etc. let's stick them together".

But you are right in saying that this isn't really anything new...though there has been an influx of yuri stuff recently. Look at Kill La Kill, K-On etc.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:

What the op is on about is crack shipping, not shipping in general. I mean mentioning harems completely invalidates your point, because there's no crack shipping in them as long as it's character x Main character. Both of you are confusing shipping with stuipid fanshipping.

Well, Kougerou complained about 'crack shipping' (I've heard of crack pairings before but not this and it doesn't fit the definition you're using) while complaining about a pair that's just plain old shipping.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2