• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN 5.0 Updates

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Announcements & The Rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Dan and I have been looking over your comments, and, not including bug fixes, here's a list of additions we're going to be making to the site:

1) White - It really perplexes us that this bothers some people. It's the same white that's on Facebook, Google, etc... But, we're going to be adding a user option to change the background color to a slight shade of grey instead of pure white.

2) Compact View - Some people don't like any of the new layout options and want the old format back. We're going to make a "compact" view that will be very similar to ANN 4.x's main feed. It will look a lot like this. This one is actually going to be a lot of work (we can't re-use the code from ANN 4), and we're prioritizing bug fixes and quicker things, but expect to see this in 3 or so weeks.

3) Marquee - We're going to create an option to disable the marquee. On ANN 4 this was a subscriber option, we'll be bringing it back on ANN 5, and possibly giving it to everyone (still TBD). We may also automatically remove the marquee whenever there are no new articles in it.

4) "Grey" Text. The forum text is by default #333333 black right now. We'll be changing it to #000000 black. We'll also be adding a user option to change the default text color in content. This will be tied in with #1 above. Changing text size might be possible too - remains to be seen how much of a challenge implementing that would be.

5) New user menu - Separate from "my ANN" with user settings and log-out. Log-out will still take 2 clicks (sorry for those who want 1-click logout. Log out doesn't happen often enough to give it that real-estate. If you look at Google, Facebook, Twitter, logout takes 2 clicks on all those sites), but it will be more apparent.

6) Forum Sidebar and ROS Side Bar - Changes will be made, but we haven't decided exactly what yet. You guys will be consulted. We know a lot of people want the sidebar gone from the forum, but people with big screens probably want to keep it.

And of course Dan is spending a lot of time on all the bugs that have been reported. Between bug fixes, and changes, please bare with us as some things might take a bit of time.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:01 am Reply with quote
fixed Nov 29 17:33
- changed forum text color to black
- redirect beta to www
- skin on front page
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
fixed:
- password reset
- register with email, add email to account
- empty space appearing above menu when clicking a tab
- skin will be remembered after logging in
- added menu item for subscription settings
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote
fixed:
- registration resulted in "email already taken" message; if you got this error before you'll need to use the password reset
- added subscriber setting to turn off ad skins
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
fixed:
- subscriber setting to turn off marquee
- old articles will not appear in marquee; marquee may not appear at all
- anonymous visitors participating in survey were getting "you must enable browser cookies" message when submitting
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote
fixed:
- redirect to fast server for subscribers
- option to turn off "around the web" for subscribers
- bookmark/share buttons for articles in Firefox
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote
fixed:
- IP address always logged as 127.0.0.1 in forum
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Changed:

- The marquee will now only appear on the front page when there is new/recent content.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
fixed:
- In the forum, not all links to ANN are "fixed" to the current hostname anymore (details)
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:53 am Reply with quote
fixed:
- can now type ampersand in search box [#160]
- do not show rectangle ad on front page for subscribers who have rectangles disabled
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
fixed:
- Encyclopedia "compare" link is back, in sidebar instead of top menu
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
split the "My ANN" menu for logged in users into:
- "My ANN" menu similar to anonymous visitors
- user menu with new Quicknav feature
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
fixed browser compatibility:
- Front page view mode and sidebar preferences will be remembered in Internet Explorer.
- Layout bugs in Opera seem to already be gone. Fixed in a previous update? Marking this as done.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
added:
- Long-awaited, long-overdue "Compact" view mode on front page
- various layout tweaks on front page (date header, position of filters & toggles, color of visited links)
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
- Restored subscriber ability to block specific advertisers ("block" link under ad)
- Added system to file complaints about inappropriate/invasive/illegal ads ("report" link under ad)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Announcements & The Rules All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1