• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Hung Over

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Hey! I didn't think Those Who Hunt Elves was crap. It was like The Wizard of Oz on crack. It was silly mindless fun
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
Hey! I didn't think Those Who Hunt Elves was crap. It was like The Wizard of Oz on crack. It was silly mindless fun

I'm guessing you watched it way back, when it first appeared on DVD. I tried to watch it last year. Sorry mate... it's crap. At least by today's standard.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
wonderwomanhero wrote:

I'm guessing you watched it way back, when it first appeared on DVD. I tried to watch it last year. Sorry mate... it's crap. At least by today's standard.

I will admit it's sort of...dated. Especially the English dub with all the pop culture references (i.e. Junpei making reference to Britney Spears virginity). Sure it wasn't and isn't the greatest show in the world, but it's fun because its dumb.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
The important thing for people to remember is that the anime market isn't made for you. Its made for the otaku in Japan, since they are the ones buying all the expensive anime... they'll get stuff made that they want, and if you're lucky you will enjoy some of that stuff yourself. If you have the same tastes as them (like I do), you will obviously enjoy the medium a lot more but there are still some stuff out there for the crowds who don't like your standard anime offerings.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
If you have the same tastes as them (like I do), you will obviously enjoy the medium a lot more but there are still some stuff out there for the crowds who don't like your standard anime offerings.

I still can't believe some people don't understand that simple fact. I'm not talking about the people who are sad about it, but the people who are outraged that more anime that they like isn't being produced. I'm sure you've all seen in on this forum as well: a new show show gets made, it's an adaptation of a popular manga or LN, and the first page has half the comments like this "Why the hell is this getting an anime and not X" or "Why Japan?" etc.

Last edited by DmonHiro on Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For the first 5-7 years of being an otaku, I devoured and enjoyed almost everything. I tore through shows like Sorcerer Hunters, Mamotte Shugogetten and Saber Marionette J, and I LIKED them.. I can't believe I typed that sentence. Those shows are garbage.

I only made it two years before I reached that point of being picky. There is too much easily accessible content nowadays. When I find something that hits that spot perfectly, it's hard for others to compare.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote
This is something else that I never understood. People who say they can only watch one or two shows per season, because the rest are "crap". What possible standards can you have that you only can watch 2 shows out of over 30?
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
This is something else that I never understood. People who say they can only watch one or two shows per season, because the rest are "crap". What possible standards can you have that you only can watch 2 shows out of over 30?

I think that's because those people seem to have this idea that "crap" means something that doesn't appeal to them.

I myself am the same way in that I only check out a small amount stuff every season, but that's only because my tastes don't always line up to what serves as good fodder for what is adapted into anime. The rest of it is stuff that I'm not interested in, but I wouldn't write it all off as crap as other narrowed ranged viewers do.
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No matter. The anime industry is humming along just fine.

Is it now? And exactly what Anime industry are we looking at again? I think someone forgot to take those Rose colored glasses off after all.

And for the record, I still love Saber Marionette J. It's not crap, and I respectfully bite my thumb at you sir. Wink

Bob (aka Robert)
President
The Anime Corner Store

Follow RACS on Twitter or Facebook
or on the RACS Official Blog
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
AnimeCornerStore wrote:
Quote:
No matter. The anime industry is humming along just fine.

Is it now? And exactly what Anime industry are we looking at again? I think someone forgot to take those Rose colored glasses off after all.

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=2010468&postcount=20

I think we are looking at this anime industry.

The amount of 20k sellers from 2000-2006: 10
The amount of 20k sellers from 2007-2013: 35

The industry has grown a lot stronger in recent years then it used to be.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
AnimeCornerStore wrote:
And exactly what Anime industry are we looking at again?

The Japanese one, obviously. This January 26 new series (not sequels) will begin in Japan. 27, if Sailor Moon FINALLY starts. Plus 4 sequels. Plus 17 shows for little children. That's 48 new series.
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

What can I say? I'm a busy person. I do follow the big picture issues with the industry but since my livelihood doesn't involve anime, watching 20 shows per season is tough. There's a difference between "the rest are crap" and "I'm betting these titles will be awesome."
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote
No, no, this isn't about people like you. You don't have time to watch more then 1-2 shows. Maybe, if you had time, you would watch more. I'm talking about people who say they can only watch 1-2 show because all the rest are crap.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Say I just read a piece where Japan's currency is deflating, which should increase consumer buying power. So how will that translate into anime development?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
It wouldn't impact it. As strange as it sounds, Japans anime demand is mostly inelastic, meaning that a change in price, regardless of its direction, does not influence it in a significant way. There have been attempts at lowering the price of discs, but the numbers of discs sold remained mostly the same. So obviously, they went right back to the original prices. The thing about the people who regularly buy anime on discs is that if they want it, they WILL find a way to buy it. Maybe they won't eat anything but ramen for a month, maybe they'll get a second job, but they WILL buy it.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 17