• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Films Offers English Dub Upgrades For Select Titles

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
One problem... We (?) have NO idea where to download/print that form to upgrade to the dubbed version on RightStuf. :/
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
^
At the top of the article where is says "Section 23 Films announced Monday " the word "announced" is a link to the forms.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Himeko90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Don't really consider this to be an "upgrade"........
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Not really worth it to "upgrade" for a dub track with those prices to exchange them.

So I'm supposed to pay $15($18 w/ shipping) on top of the $40 that I paid for my Nyan Koi sub-only set if I want an english dub track? No thanks, I'd rather keep the sub-only set and put that money towards another series.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Considering I paid about $20 per each part of S.A when it came out in sub sets I don't really consider shelling out $25 for a dub is worth it.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm not so sure about this method. Those shows came out a while back. Most people who bought the show already watched it. I don't think that many people would want to watch it again, with a dub, and pay for it.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
The dubs are being made and released whether people use this program or not.
I do not own any of these shows so this does not apply to me, but if I liked a show enough to buy it without a dub then I probably would upgrade to the dub.

I wish that Sentai would have had this program when I bought the Tears to Tiara Blu-ray. It would have saved me about $20.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bs3311

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:56 pm Reply with quote
And boom goes the criticism. But seriously, I'm fine with it unless I speak my mind on it.

tangytangerine wrote:
So I'm supposed to pay $15($18 w/ shipping) on top of the $40 that I paid for my Nyan Koi sub-only set if I want an english dub track? No thanks, I'd rather keep the sub-only set and put that money towards another series.

ninjapet wrote:
Considering I paid about $20 per each part of S.A when it came out in sub sets I don't really consider shelling out $25 for a dub is worth it.

That money you two spent for those sub sets are long gone and irrelevent IMO. Its basically paying 18-28$ for a DVD or BD series that are being sold/pre-ordered MSRP wise of 60-70$ (rightstuf wise in 36-42$) as of right now. I understand though if your intrest with the shipping cash is for spending on something else, then the S.A.V.E funi editions of shows are the way to go. But thats just a single extra show you may have no information or intrest on yet. But you two had intrest in buying the physical subtitled copy of these shows wether you wanted it dubbed or not. Now it may be just a collectors habit, which I humbly understand since I'm a big collector.

DmonHiro wrote:
Those shows came out a while back. Most people who bought the show already watched it. I don't think that many people would want to watch it again, with a dub, and pay for it.

Not ,"most" or ,"not that many". But some will want to take this method. Alot of people bought/watched the subbtitled show for the reason of Sentai to listen to their fans that there was support for the subbed released show. Sometimes the stream flops to change route of selling, but physical distribution of the title can change that again down the line. With the money in hand from seller feedback, they made a dub along with a seperate DVD/BD treatment for the shows after seeing that support. Mayo Chiki! is an example of that interest in giving it the Dub/BD upgrade. Whats wrong with listening to the fans as well as including options?

Its just something you don't want to be of interest in IMO, which I understand.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I'll wait till the sets come with the dubs. But overall, at least these shows got dubs like they should have from the start
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
well at least it better than late or having never been dub to watch.

besides got wonder other sub only anime sentai will be re-release again with dub?

give dub people want to see those.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Instead of complaining about having to spend money for a dub of something I already own, I'd like to think of it like this:

- This means that these particular shows have done well enough for them to get dubs.

- This means that mini-ADV is making enough money for them to consider going back, dubbing, and re-releasing series they've already released, which is, as far as I can see, a good thing.

- Sentai is only ASKING for between $18 and $28 for the OPTIONAL upgrade, instead of ASKING for the full price. (Seriously, don't sound so mad about it.)

- I can remain un-rightfully mad at RightStuf during 2014 because they're doing anything else but dubbing Dirty Pair (TV).

- Mayo Chiki! is getting a dub
u_nick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
This is great for me. I'm upgrading not for the dub... but for the Blu-ray! I figure it something like this:
- I was buying the blu-ray anyway. Like others have mentioned, probably around the 40 dollar mark
- That would have been 40x5 sets sitting on my charge card.
- I would have probably tried either trading in the old DVD sets to Amazon, or selling on eBay. IF I'm lucky, I'd maybe get 20 bucks per? And if so, then that would be ideal. But no guarantee. And it's time wasted.
- With the deal, it's 28x5, I dont have to watch the links to get ready to jump when the price hits where I want, I dont have to worry about what I'm going to do with my old DVD sets, and dont have to bother with eBay, possibly shady buyers, fees, etc, and I dont.

Taking all that into consideration, I'm more than happy with this deal.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Is dubbed MM! still censored as subbed, especially for the blu-rays? (save for the final ova/omake/whatever it's called when spoiler[they're undressed in the locker room])
Samo2222

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
A Blu-Ray release with a dub would be considered an upgrade like Sentai are doing with MM! I already own import sets of MM! and Mayo Chiki! so I won't be buying these but if others want to see a dub they'll also need proper BD video quality to feel like they're making a proper purchase.

Not much point in spending money on a lower quality barebones DVD release for a hit/miss dub if the fansubs you watched years ago look so much better.
u_nick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
Is dubbed MM! still censored as subbed, especially for the blu-rays?

Good question. I would like to know as well.

Another question: What exactly is the Special A deal? Is it the two separate sets for the existing one complete set? Or is it either of those, for a NEW complete set that has a dub? (I'm not familiar with the existing one). And can we assume no BD there? It's the only form without a BD checkbox... ?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2