• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: One Piece DVD Season 5 Part 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed a trend with One Piece set reviews that one of the chief complaints is that when the set ends, it just leaves you hanging. What's so frustrating to see for a review, especially in the CP9 saga, is that its an arc that covers roughly 100 episodes, so yes, there will be cliffhangers and each set will end with you feeling wanting more. That's the point. It feels like a slight against the series to knock it down because its super-long yet super-awesome arc didn't conclude at the end of the set for a reviewer's personal convenience.
SuperDuperDog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Well if it really did end mid-kaku fight (and that one really ramps up, you don't want it to just stop), then I would agree. That's gonna leave a sour feeling. That's not an ideal place to break.

Speaking as a fan who's read the arc like 100 times, Ideally I'd want every straw hat to get their fight resolved before break. Then start the Robin bridge rescue/Luffy vs Lucci plots. because those really are their own long things.

But I would also say it's such a tiny little blemish of a thing to kvetch about against a review that still gave it's subject a B+
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
Ah, so those "Detective Luffy" episodes ARE included. Really strange when they're introduced in a TV Special Funi skipped doing (not that I blame them, the TV Specials are pretty forgettable, though Detective Luffy/Feudal Japan AU is such a charming concept).
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
Ah, so those "Detective Luffy" episodes ARE included. Really strange when they're introduced in a TV Special Funi skipped doing (not that I blame them, the TV Specials are pretty forgettable, though Detective Luffy/Feudal Japan AU is such a charming concept).

I always hear how TV specials or OVAs of anime shows tend to be a separate license altogether, which would explain why in some instances, the specials/shorts/OVAs for both FMA TV series were released together in their respective collections. I even heard that One Piece: Strong World Episode 0 was a separate license from a company in Japan different from Toei (I forgot what the name was, but One Piece Brand Manager Josh Kocurek mentioned about this during the One Piece Podcast commentary of the Strong World film in their Strongcast Platinum Podcast episode) that Funimation wasn't able to acquire from. I guess the Detective/Policeman Luffy episodes are part of the main Season 5 license and thus were a given to be a part of the releases while the separate TV special wasn't.

It's probably a similar issue with that special you're talking about. MAYBE they'll get it someday, but I'm doubtful it'll happen.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:12 am Reply with quote
at least their not in the box set. too much fillers bogging up the excitement of the CP9 arc.

though the only ones that was good was chopper's forbidden rumble transformation. now that would probably have put some of the marines wet themselves if he was in the paramount war arc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote
I can not find general One Piece thread discussion, so I will have to ask here.

What is happening in the anime right now?

Feels like goofy cheesy filler, but I am not sure. Or is it manga material?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1