• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Battle Angel Alita/Gunnm Manga to Start in 2014

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:07 am Reply with quote
Interesting.

Now I wonder who has the publishing rights to the original GUNNM/Battle Angel Alita. Missed out on getting the right to left edition from Viz.
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:43 am Reply with quote
interesting.... buuuut what this needs is an anime.
hpulley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:47 am Reply with quote
vangelionite88 wrote:
There were two OVA episodes released in the early '90s. I still have them on VHS but there has been a disc release too.

But you're right, I'm actually quite surprised there has never been more made than this. Not sure if it is stuck in rights hell or if it is just the fact that seinen manga adaptations tend to bomb on disc sales that prevents it from happening.

But returning to the war on Mars for a new series could be interesting considering that many of the flashbacks were the best parts of the series. A series about the vampires could work too.
Monumension

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:36 am Reply with quote
*breath of relief*

Quote:
But returning to the war on Mars for a new series could be interesting considering that many of the flashbacks were the best parts of the series. A series about the vampires could work too.

One of the best things (depending on how you see it) about the BAA-universe is that it's possible to branch it out in several directions. After Last Order there's a whole solar system to explore.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quote
awesome news, the world of BAA/Gunnm is very rich and worth exploring
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quote
I only seen the VHS episode one of Battle Angel Atila which I rented at Blockbuster Video. Remember the days when you could rent video using money at a real store you need a plastic card and checking account to do that now from Red Box now. I know Viz has the rights to the first two manga series which American distributor has the rights to the new story arc now and who are they? And does Viz retains the rights to the first two series arcs? Sad
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:55 am Reply with quote
War on Mars? Sounds awesome! Anything that moves them past the interminable Z.O.T.T. is good news.
hpulley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
Kodansha in Japan and Kodansha USA own the current manga arc. Not sure about the new one for Mars but I assume he is staying with Kodansha.

I sometimes wonder if James Cameron's movie rights include anime. They might.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
But you're right, I'm actually quite surprised there has never been more made than this. Not sure if it is stuck in rights hell or if it is just the fact that seinen manga adaptations tend to bomb on disc sales that prevents it from happening.

Anime creators do seem to be highly allergic to seinen manga, yeah. Well, at least it means less merchandise I'm tempted to buy, I guess *sigh* At least there's those OVAs; picked them up recently myself, thanks to Right Stuf's big holiday sales.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
What.

I'm assuming/hoping that this will be a direct continuation of Last Order. I'll be royally pissed if it's not, since there's still tons of plot threads left unresolved.
hpulley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
hpulley wrote:

Anime creators do seem to be highly allergic to seinen manga, yeah. Well, at least it means less merchandise I'm tempted to buy, I guess *sigh* At least there's those OVAs; picked them up recently myself, thanks to Right Stuf's big holiday sales.
Perhaps if sales for seinen action manga adaptations sold better they might make more... BTOOOM! sold terribly, they all do. Gally is moe enough but so was Himiko. Can't think of the last one that sold well.
ajr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Finishing Last Order and immediately starting a new BAA series indicates one of two routes are being taken. Thes first is that the new series is a spinoff/prequel or other alternate story set in the BAA universe. The second is that Kishiro is again switching magazines/publishers, and (depending on how rights are set up) needs to use a different title to legally continue the same story.
GVman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Interesting.

Now I wonder who has the publishing rights to the original GUNNM/Battle Angel Alita. Missed out on getting the right to left edition from Viz.

I think Kodansha does. Hopefully, they'll start publishing omnibus editions for that in the near future.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
War on Mars... This sounds like it might be a prequel, the story of Gally (Yoko) before Ido found her in the Scrapyard.

That would be very appealing to me.

The war on Mars is still raging during the current storyline though, so it's possible the new manga might focus on that, and not Gally.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
vangelionite88 wrote:
There were two OVA episodes released in the early '90s. I still have them on VHS but there has been a disc release too.

Ashame, I'd love to see a full length TV anime from this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2