• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Voice Actress Mie Sonozaki Announces Divorce

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:09 am Reply with quote
This is a bit unfortunate, but the reason they divorce surprised me, it's different from other divorce I've seen. But I respect her decision. I hope she'll be OK after this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:00 am Reply with quote
I Wish them every happiness in their new lives apart.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:45 am Reply with quote
Kekaku dori.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:21 am Reply with quote
On the one hand when they realised they were drifting apart they could have taken counseling to try to save their marriage. Too many married couples break up after hitting a slightly rocky patch that was actually survivable if they simply put in a bit of effort. They are still good friends who respect one another which suggests that the relationship hadn't deteriorated that badly.

On the other hand, we don't know that they didn't already try counseling. And if they mutually agreed that they'd both given the relationship their best shot and it still wasn't working out then walking away calmly is infinitely better than remaining in a loveless marriage.

I guess all we can really say is good on them for breaking up peacefully like proper adults, and that we wish both of them well for the future.
ReverseTitan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
@dtm42 Counseling is a no-no in Japan. It's not culturally accepted.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
On the one hand when they realised they were drifting apart they could have taken counseling to try to save their marriage. Too many married couples break up after hitting a slightly rocky patch that was actually survivable if they simply put in a bit of effort. They are still good friends who respect one another which suggests that the relationship hadn't deteriorated that badly.

On the other hand, we don't know that they didn't already try counseling. And if they mutually agreed that they'd both given the relationship their best shot and it still wasn't working out then walking away calmly is infinitely better than remaining in a loveless marriage.

I guess all we can really say is good on them for breaking up peacefully like proper adults, and that we wish both of them well for the future.

Very true, but in the end marriage is about love. They could've drifted apart to the point where the love is there no longer there while they still do like each other. Without the love, there's no point in being married.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
^
Many couples stay together for the supposed sake of their children or because it is too expensive to divorce. Sad but unfortunately true.

As for lack of love, well, that depends on what "love" is, or rather which love we are talking about. Young passionate love? Sure, it's bound to disappear. But the couple can still base their relationship on mutual trust and respect and shared experiences, a deeper (though less intense) kind of love. So yeah, they may well have fallen out of passionate love but that doesn't mean they can't still love one another.
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
ReverseTitan wrote:

That's really unfortunate, it seems like a lot of Japan's problems (high suicide rates, Hikikomori lifestyle and declining birthrate, ect.) might be reduced with proper counseling and access to effective medications to treat some of the underlying issues. Of course it would probably take an urgency-based paradigm shift in culture to do that. *Sigh* What can you do? Sad
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
TheFullmetalOne wrote:
ReverseTitan wrote:

That's really unfortunate, it seems like a lot of Japan's problems (high suicide rates, Hikikomori lifestyle and declining birthrate, ect.) might be reduced with proper counseling and access to effective medications to treat some of the underlying issues. Of course it would probably take an urgency-based paradigm shift in culture to do that. *Sigh* What can you do? Sad

Let's not forget Japan's Herbivore men. Just a few days ago, I read it on NHK World about Japan population decline is getting worse.

EDIT: OK, scratch that, another video from Geo Beats, a very well-respected and award-winning website have said that Japan population decline is somewhat getting worse and probably will continue like this.

Last edited by mdo7 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Himeko90

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
TheFullmetalOne wrote:
That's really unfortunate, it seems like a lot of Japan's problems (high suicide rates, Hikikomori lifestyle and declining birthrate, ect.) might be reduced with proper counseling and access to effective medications to treat some of the underlying issues.

Are you honestly suggesting that the decline in Japan's birthrate is a "counseling" issue (i.e.: well if they are just counseled on the "importance" of having children, then they will change their minds)? Rolling Eyes
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:15 am Reply with quote
Himeko90 wrote:
TheFullmetalOne wrote:
That's really unfortunate, it seems like a lot of Japan's problems (high suicide rates, Hikikomori lifestyle and declining birthrate, ect.) might be reduced with proper counseling and access to effective medications to treat some of the underlying issues.

Are you honestly suggesting that the decline in Japan's birthrate is a "counseling" issue (i.e.: well if they are just counseled on the "importance" of having children, then they will change their minds)? Rolling Eyes

No, I didn't say that. If you had read the whole thing, then you would have noticed that I mentioned it might help with the underlying issues that contribute to the things that cause some of the problems. Granted there are many factors, but dealing with the psychological pressures would be a good first step toward addressing the others. Try not to take everything you read purely at face value.
Himeko90

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
TheFullmetalOne wrote:
No, I didn't say that. If you had read the whole thing, then you would have noticed that I mentioned it might help with the underlying issues that contribute to the things that cause some of the problems. Granted there are many factors, but dealing with the psychological pressures would be a good first step toward addressing the others. Try not to take everything you read purely at face value.

I did read the whole thing, and based on that post, it is very clear that you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to the subject of people in Japan choosing not to have children. Here are some of the REAL reasons why:

-Cost of living in Japan

-Cost of Education (specifically High School and College)

-Cost of Raising a Child

The rationale for most of the individuals choosing not to have children in Japan is based on practical, not "psychological" problems. Someone who chooses not to have children based on those problems is not going to move on that position through a couple visits to the psychiatrist (for you to suggest otherwise is ridiculous and shows a lack of understanding on the subject). At the end of the day, if you are going to suggest solutions to complex issues such as Japan's declining birthrate, I suggest that you actually know details about the issue first and what the contributing factors are (otherwise you just look stupid and ill-informed).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Himeko90 wrote:

I did read the whole thing, and based on that post, it is very clear that you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to the subject of people in Japan choosing not to have children. Here are some of the REAL reasons why:

-Cost of living in Japan

-Cost of Education (specifically High School and College)

-Cost of Raising a Child

Herbivore men and parasite singles. Laughing

(Anyways, lack of daycare or extended family.)
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Ok, maybe the declining birth rate was not the best example, however I should point out that nobody is perfect, and you are just as capable of being ill-informed as I am. And for the record, I wasn't suggesting a solution to anything. I was merely giving my thoughts on ReverseTitan's post about counseling being a cultural no-no. Also if looking stupid and ill-informed was a crime, then everybody would be in jail, since we all fall prey to that at various points in our lives. So why don't we both drop it at this before we both get banned from the boards.
Snootymatt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
There was a really good documentary with ANN reported concerning the declining birth rate called 'No Sex Please, We're Japanese', if anyone saw it.

Anyway, I respect their decision, because their individual happiness is the most important thing Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2