• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon Vegas 2014

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
It always strikes me what you guys in the US would call "a small convention" we in the UK would class as one of our bigger non-expo conventions. Really 1,500-2,000 is what would be considered large in the UK (yeah MCM is bigger but it's more of an expo)... to us "small" means like 300-700.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Great review. Makes me wish I'd attended the convention, since I'm sort of nearby (LA) - maybe next year.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Don't only old men and gamblers care about sumo in Japan these days?
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Blu-ray and DVD, including Blast of Tempest season one

What!? That can't be, since I still have my money.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:41 am Reply with quote
Very interesting to read and see, thanks for putting this up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:22 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Don't only old men and gamblers care about sumo in Japan these days?

The gamblers were driven away when the absurdly high levels of corruption got relieved a few years back.

Everyone that I know who went to the convention or worked the convention had lots of positive things to say about the spawn of Otakon.
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
It always strikes me what you guys in the US would call "a small convention" we in the UK would class as one of our bigger non-expo conventions. Really 1,500-2,000 is what would be considered large in the UK (yeah MCM is bigger but it's more of an expo)... to us "small" means like 300-700.

I guess we just have more anime fans here?
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
GracieLizzy wrote:

I guess we just have more anime fans here?

Oh yeah, and just a generally higher population overall. I know why this happens it just still strikes me as such a cultural difference whenever I see conventions being discussed is all I'm saying. Smile
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the article and the pictures! I loved that Deadpool cosplayer! The last time I went to a convention there were a whole group of guys cosplaying as Deadpool, just alternating colors, and they were very cute to see goofing around. They were nice too, and allowed me to take a group picture of them!
qollocust

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I was there and this was a good summary of the weekend. It strikes me as odd though that the con and destination is referred to as expensive so many times. I flew out from the east coast and this was by far the cheapest convention weekend of the year for me (excluding one day local cons and the convention I work for). The hotel and food discounts brought the price tag below what I spend yearly at big Otakon in Baltimore. Maybe east coast cons are more expensive that west coast cons? I don't know, this was my first time venturing away from the northeast.

The sumo was definitely a highlight. I knew nothing about it going in and learned a lot from the demonstration. I was front row and Kelly came crashing into me right in the beginning (I'm fine!).

Space Dandy premiere was another highlight. What first year con gets a world premiere of a heavily hyped new anime? It was especially exciting for me since I was at Watanabe's panel this summer at Otakon when Space Dandy was first announced.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:

I attended one of the World Science Fiction conventions in England back in the Eighties. That one was 4000+ paying members attending.

Lucky you have this convention coming up this year.

The 72nd World Science Fiction Convention, London, England
Thursday 14 August 2014 - Monday 18 August 2014

Perhaps anime conventions in the UK, just don't have the same draw. If I every get back to England for work, will have to see if there are any local anime conventions happening.

Glad to hear Otakon Vegas was enjoyable and a success.
niastyle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I am embarrassed to say that I live right here in Vegas and didn't go. I actually forgot about it. Shocked And I was still nursing a major New Years hang over. But I will be there for sure next year.
Chii85

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Was Sentai there? Was there any announcements in regarding to plan to dub more existing subtitled only titles? They should really make a better precedents at their convention panels and get better feedback. There's still a lot of subtitled releases that are itching to get their dub. They need to listen more.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
When I didn't see daily coverage reports for Otakon Vegas, as they do for the summer cons (a select few of them), I wasn't certain that ANN was even covering this con.

I'm still a tad concerned about Otakon starting a new con before they've ironed out the bugs in the "old" one, putting the new con in Vegas (taking advantage of Vegas' decline, I guess) and doing all of this stuff with the new con not that long before the "old" Otakon makes a massive move to DC.

I'm also ambivalent about the intense North American industry presence at Otakon Vegas. This con was hyped as being "THE event" for the exclusive, "refined" weeaboo and I was kinda hoping that it would be that, to siphon those guys away from the other cons. I guess it is good that Otakon Vegas didn't live up to that as I've learned that BronyCon did not siphon away the overabundance of MLP programming from anime cons but, dammit, I wanted to have hope. Laughing
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Chii85 wrote:
They need to listen more.

sure, but being able to afford dubbing a show is important as well
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2