• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JAST USA Delays Steins;Gate PC Game Until March 31

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GiriOni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:51 am Reply with quote
Damn! Should have guessed... well my preorder will have to take a little longer. Not too big of a problem as I will probably still be playing Bravely Default or Danganronpa around Feb. 28. March has Atelier on the 11th... maybe I'll finish it by the 31st? Probably not... On a side note, my wallet burns.

EDIT: Man, JAST keeps giving out bad news. Almost like Media Blasters, except JAST EVENTUALLY delivers.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:38 am Reply with quote
As long as the product is higher quality in the end. Although I would like to get it sooner...
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:36 am Reply with quote
Welp. This gives me time to save up some money for my preorder at least. I'll pick up another game to play in between the one I'm playing now and Steins; Gate, then. Probably Demon Master Chris.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:25 am Reply with quote
As long as they deliver! They took the money when I preordered, unlike the vast majority of places. I guess that's what I get for ordering from JAST and not a regular retailer.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
So...is this coming out through Steam, or what?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
Not that I heard. I'd prefer it NOT to come out on a DRM platform anyway.

I dont get what the delay is about...I heard they basically bought a fan translation that was already done a long time ago.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:31 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Ryusui wrote:

I don't get what the delay is about...I heard they basically bought a fan translation that was already done a long time ago.

Having played through the first part of the original fan translation patch, there was still a ton of stuff to edit/modify to get it working properly as well as update scripts to be more consistent with the original intent. For instance, after talking to Nitroplus/5pb, ReadingSteiner (one of the main people working on the game as editor) were informed that one of Okabe's best known sayings is not spelled "El Psy Congroo", but "El Psy Kongroo".

Considering there are probably many other thing like this, they are now working with different tools, and considering 5pb/Nitroplus are notorious for making sure a project is not left half-done, it's not surprising that it's been so long to release. Especially when you consider how ancillary the Western market is for VNs. Add all those things up, and it's not too surprising that its taken so long to get to where we are now.

I wouldn't even be surprised if this was delayed because JASTUSA sent 5pb the "final" build of the game, and then was rejected because there was still some sort of really small error or bug remaining.

That being said, I really hope they don't delay this release anymore, I'd really like to have it sometime before the summer Smile.
Vhaeraun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:24 am Reply with quote
I don't mind a delay; I've been waiting for this for years - imported the PSP version years ago, and now I just need this version to support such a great series. I want those limited edition pins xD
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
This should suprise nobody whom is familiar with JAST releases. I'm almost surprised they waited this long to announce a delay.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Ryusui wrote:

I don't get what the delay is about...I heard they basically bought a fan translation that was already done a long time ago.

I can not say for sure yet, But I would say that it is extremely likely to see it around the same time as higurashi, from what I have heard from people at mangagamer and jast. steam is now interested in getting some japanese visual novels on their site it seems. there is even talk of getting if my heart had wings on steam via jast.

At this point I would find it highly surprising if jast did not get steins; gate on steam along with a couple of other all ages games.

I imagine the delay is mostly due to approval issues (probably with the very amazing bonus items for the limited edition), either that or the corrections to the script are taking longer then expected (just look at ef a tale of the two to see how long that can take.)
LinkSword

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
That's my birthday. Clearly a sign to order this no matter what.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Ryusui wrote:

I can not say for sure yet, But I would say that it is extremely likely to see it around the same time as higurashi, from what I have heard from people at mangagamer and jast. steam is now interested in getting some japanese visual novels on their site it seems. there is even talk of getting if my heart had wings on steam via jast.

At this point I would find it highly surprising if jast did not get steins; gate on steam along with a couple of other all ages games.

I imagine the delay is mostly due to approval issues (probably with the very amazing bonus items for the limited edition), either that or the corrections to the script are taking longer then expected (just look at ef a tale of the two to see how long that can take.)

I've talked with JAST over Twitter regarding Steam. They've said that they're interested and probably will do it eventually, but right now are focusing on just releasing the game first.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Ryusui wrote:

I've talked with JAST over Twitter regarding Steam. They've said that they're interested and probably will do it eventually, but right now are focusing on just releasing the game first.

They maybe wondering how the two seconds of nudity with that one charcter coming out of the bath will effect the esrb rating and if they can get away with editing it or if fans would kill them over that like they did to Moenovel and if my heart had wings.
Stall_19

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

They maybe wondering how the two seconds of nudity with that one charcter coming out of the bath will effect the esrb rating and if they can get away with editing it or if fans would kill them over that like they did to Moenovel and if my heart had wings.

I will never understand why Moenovel didn't just make both an 18+ version and an all age version available.
GiriOni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Stall_19 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I will never understand why Moenovel didn't just make both an 18+ version and an all age version available.

Too much money, not enough demand for both. Would just split profits. (although most would buy 18+ ver. simply because that's where the VN fanbase is) Especially with how the translation came out with awkward English.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2