• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I always wished there was an anime club in my school back in the day. Of course the year after I graduated was the year they finally got a counselor who was actually familiar with Studio Ghibli and was willing to give them a chance.... Crying or Very sad

I was also very curious about the prevalence of stereo audio on so much anime. its good to finally know why that is.

Good week once again. Thanks!
genbu johnson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I remember manna anime. They used to meet in the library in Bloomfield Hills. It was there that I first saw Esclaflowne and got my first fansub on super vhs. Great times...
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
What's worth mentioning is when Sonic X was airing in Japan, TMS Entertainment produced a 5.1 audio track for the series for their Hi-Spec DVD release. This was back in 2003-2004, which for the time, was surprising they would even bother doing a full surround mix for a long running TV series. Especially for a show aimed and marketed towards children. Sadly, either due to low DVD sales or amongst other issues, the Hi-Spec release stopped at Episode 39, and the remainder (at the time, 52) of the series was released in regular volumes, which only carried a stereo mix and no extras.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the rest of the series was mixed in 5.1 or not. I have suspicion to believe the licensors got the full surround mix for the Japanese audio (as the mix for Episode 1 is slightly different on the surround track), due to the audio variation of episode 1 was that of the Surround Sound mix. Unfortunately, the Japanese version was not released to DVD over here, so getting the full mix was never possible in the States.

However, it does make me wonder how many TV shows out there were originally produced with a full surround mix, especially in the earlier years.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I really wish there was a anime/manga club at my campus. I believe there were some in the past but I haven't joined it yet...

It's always nice to talk about what people enjoy/criticize irl especially with different age groups. As regarding the weather in CA, it's pretty nice indeed :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
In Western television, the head writer is known informally as the Show Runner,
Further western on the other side of the pond that person is responsible for getting teas, coffees, sarnies, and copies of scripts between galleries and studio floors. Laughing
Meygaera

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I think there was an anime club at my high school. While I considered myself a nerd, I felt that I was a "cool" nerd who also played varsity sports and that anime was for weirdos.

Well look who's laughing now high school Meygaera?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
We once had an error report made by Yuji Hayami himself due to his name being misspelled, and he also commented on the "series structure" title thusly:
Quote:
And my task is more correctly must be called Story Editor. I constructed all series stories.

Chiaki Konaka also refers to his role on Digimon Tamers as Story Editor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
The anime club... sorry, "J-Pop Club" (though it was just a small-scale anime viewing and video game playing group) that was at my college was pretty pathetic. We watched washed-out, fansubbed Rumbling Hearts, ate cheap pizza, and washed it down with store brand soda.

The club president was this really self-involved guy who lectured the group about talking during the showings, even though everybody did it. The enormous, large-headed beast who always sat front in center and obsessed over moé and fanservice shows He always ate his snacks loudly during the viewing, but as we spent most of the time mocking the terrible shows he loved, I guess it evened out.

I have to be honest, though, I was probably a tad too chatty during viewings, even compared to the others. I must've been under the mistaken impression I was on MST3K or something. (Still have that, just look at my sad little stream.)

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rheiders

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for clarifying the definition of "Series Composition". I was always a little foggy on how important they were in the process.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
My college had an anime club which on the surface was a pretty normal club (every week we had a theme, members brought in whatever anime they had that sorta-matched, we voted and then had enough time for three or maybe four episodes) but by the end of my junior year, when I was just running out of time to go to the club, things had gotten, weird. The club was still being run as normal but the officers had tried to see if we could get a hulu or crunchyroll account so we could watch more shows (especially since a few times we didn't have anything, our president carried around a copy of Silverhawks in the presidential suitcase as an incentive for this to not happen) and found out that technically we weren't supposed to even show shows at all each week without explicit permission from the companies but the club had basically been grandfathered into the new college-wide club rules. And then at the very end I finally got a hold of our constitution from the club offices (since, there was a lot of paper in that suitcase but no copy of the constitution we discovered) and found out that not only did our club have a seriously weird official name, that no one had known about, but apparently officers weren't supposed to hold the same position for more than a year which we had been doing the entire time as well. And if we changed the constitution we wouldn't be grandfathered in anymore and boom wouldn't exist! So while we certainly had the usual mix of more normal people and people who had no idea that they weren't funny and needed to shut up I can safely say that wasn't the weirdest part of my club!
flawed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Kinda feel like I'm nitpicking on this one, but current standardizations of AAC support 5.1 channels. ISDB-T uses an early standard of AAC [AAC-LC] that is based off of the MPEG-2 transport that only supports stereo.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
That story about Justin's anime club sounds like something out of a sitcom, ha. I remember my high school's anime club basically just being a bunch of underclassmen being forced to watch whatever DVDs the seniors happened to bring in that day. While we did watch some neat stuff (That was where I got introduced to the Haruhi franchise and got started as an anime fan at all) there was a loooooot of poop. Titles I recall prominently were Maburaho and Green Green. I still have flashbacks to those dubs.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
In my college there was an anime club that lasted about two quarters. I went back when the new quarter started and there was no more club. It was kind of a free for all as our adviser never showed up (or really cared) so we watch whatever we wanted.

A couple of people in the club has big dreams of doing and going to certain types of events. But they would require money, which was something most of us didn't have at the time.

What probably killed the club though, was we no longer had access to a VCR or DVD player (this was like 2003ish). One day we went into the room we used for club and the TV cart was no longer there. And with out our adviser we could not get electronics out of the electronics library. People would bring small tvs in (this was pre-flat screens) and something to play DVDs but it was a huge hassle.

I now belong to a local non-school related club. We are 18+ so we show whatever we want. Our only problem is we do charge dues (basically so we can pay for the space we rent out) but a lot of people are not down for that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kevinx59

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:23 pm Reply with quote
interesting answers. Most Japanese anime is in 2.0, but most of funnimation's and a lot of ADV's used to be in 5.1. How did they do that? Oh and my college has an anime club. Nothing fancy, we just vote on shows to watch in the beginning o the year and then watch them throughout the rest of the year, with a random anime shown at the beginning and days were we watch Christmas anime or horror anime or movies. We also tend to have a lot of people in the chalkboards at back drawing stuff. We do have permission to watch anime from Right Stuf, I believe, but the club operation is also a bit...wonky.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
For many older Japanese shows, the only way they're going to get 5.1 mixes is if they re-record the dialogue with surviving cast members. The original audio tapes get worn over time by repeated home video re-issues or were never that great in the first place.

It's that simple.

We all know that Funimation has literally redubbed Dragon Ball/Z as many as (at least) 3-4 times for some episodes because of episode editing and cast changes over the years.
For major re-releases and restorations, the Japanese rights holders to major franchises like (again) Dragon Ball/Z and Gundam have had to regroup the original voice casts and do new recording sessions. On more than one occasion, roles have had to be recast because in the interim original cast members of those series have passed away.

Once you watch enough anime that's pre-2000, you realize one thing... A lot of the vocal recordings for TV series are extremely poor quality. We're talking bathroom-quality recording with tinniness and echoing that shouldn't be there in anything made post-1970. The sad thing is that this state of affairs extends into anime TV series produced well into the 1990s. Shows like Saint Tail and Dragon Ball evidently did have really bad source tapes for the original broadcast versions.

I just recently watched subbed episodes of Dr. Slump -- a series I've never seen before -- and this is another example of an anime series where the audio tracks are just in a wretched state. Toei, the anime's principal owner, supposedly had much higher quality audio tapes available that could have been used for home video re-releases but threw them away years ago!

This is not unpredecented, btw. It happens all the time in countries that have major media industries (Japan, US, European nations). Especially when TV series and motion pictures transfer ownership. New owners will often throw away all that "awful extra tape" because it takes up so much room not realizing they're throwing away dialogue, music, and effects audio that can be vital for restoration work years down the road! More than a few films had to have their scores re-recorded (for new CD releases) with new conductors and orchestras because the original unmixed session tapes don't exist or have been lost when materials were moved around...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2