• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New Japanese Guidebook Focuses on Anime Pilgrimages

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty cool. Beats looking online for random pages. I would like a copy Smile
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh coolness. I'd like to take a look a this book. It's always fun to see where those crazy backgrounds come from. Finding out that they're real is the real surprise.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I like to get this book, anyway I can get a copy. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I'd love something available as a *text* PDF in addition to the hardcopy, simply for the fact that it is quite tedious looking up the areas online by trying to guess and input kanji.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Anime Pilgrimage books have published for while. I happen to have anime pilgrimage that covers Tenchi Muyo and Evangelion.

It would be nice if Japanese tour organizations publish it in English as Japan tour to next level. On first time visit, you visit anime Mecca like Comiket and AKihabra. On next visit, you visit pilgrimage sites.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:29 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Anime Pilgrimage books have published for while. I happen to have anime pilgrimage that covers Tenchi Muyo and Evangelion.

It would be nice if Japanese tour organizations publish it in English as Japan tour to next level. On first time visit, you visit anime Mecca like Comiket and AKihabra. On next visit, you visit pilgrimage sites.

On your first visit you fit in as much as you can, repeat for each visit.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
reanimator wrote:

On your first visit you fit in as much as you can, repeat for each visit.

That too, but frequent oversea travel is a luxury. Come to think of it, Japanese travel agencies should offer pilgrimage package for repeat visitors.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I wish ANN would tag these news items with something like "Event" or "Tourism", or even "Japan". Doing so would make it so much useful for people planning trips to Japan. For example, I when I was planning my trip to Japan in April two years ago I happened to read about the special theatrical showing of the first Yamato 2199 episodes in Shinjuku. When I checked, I found the nearest theatre was just up the road from my hotel!

So yeah, it doesn't take much more effort to add another tag, and it could be very useful for future Japan travellers.

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:30 am Reply with quote
Well, the time that ANN posted about about a Macross VF-25 full sized model being on display at Minatomirai Yokohama subway station, I was in Sydney en route to Japan and read the article on a free internet pc at the airport. I was staying one night at Kanazawa-Hakkei (just south of Yokohama), so it was easy to fit in a visit. When I visited Minatomirai subway station, not only was the VF-25 there, but Macross Frontier author Hiroyuki Yoshino was being interviewed by a television crew.

http://www.madman.com.au/fanzone/display/79252.img

On that trip, besides seeing the Macross VF-25 model, I managed 7 music of anime/videogame concerts (total of 71 acts), seeing Kaze Tachinu at a cinema, and traveling on a train from Ueda in Nagano prefecture that was featured in Summer Wars, and walking the Usui Pass which was used in Initial-D. Plus my first visit to Nakano Broadway.

Although most of my activities were planned ahead of the trip (including working out the cinema session to attend), there continue to be pleasant surprises on each visit to Japan.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
It took some digging but this seems to be the ISBN of the book:

978-4862552198

A Goggle search will get you some sample pages.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:
It took some digging but this seems to be the ISBN of the book:

978-4862552198

A Goggle search will get you some sample pages.

Thanks for that, I had a search on Amazon Japan and the one review of this book wasn't terribly favourable.

This kind of thing might be more suited to a wiki where many people can contribute and provide feedback. Some things like stamp pad courses can be a bit difficult if you don't know the transport options ahead of time, for Ooarai (Girls und Panzer) I managed it with a bus ride and lots of walking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1