• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Vote on Their Favorite Anime Directors Post-Miyazaki

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing this is theatrical directors? Either way Goro as #1 floors me as I really don't think he's made a good film to date.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:43 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of sad that Miyazaki's own son has done more damage to Ghibli's rep than that sex offender Miyazaki. Interesting that they prefer Morita over Yonebayashi, though. I liked The Cat Returns, and in a lot of cases, more than Whisper of the Heart. But it seemed to come and go, while Arrietty seems a bit more prominent.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote
BeanBandit wrote:
I'm guessing this is theatrical directors?

Nah, Yamakan made it and he mainly does TV series.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Makoto Shinkai

peace out
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that when asked who can succeed Miyazaki, the voters favored several of the oldest directors in the industry.
MexicanAnime

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of the interesting note of there not being any female directors, I was thinking to myself a month ago of some female directors in the anime industry. Sadly they usually don't have the position and there were only a few names I could think of at the top of my head. The two that I first thought of were Sayo Yamamoto (Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko, Michiko & Hatchin) and Chiaki Kon (Higurashi, Umineko) with the former being quite talented and distict.

There's quite an amount of directors there that are pretty talented, though it's a bit upsetting that Masaaki Yuasa is not on the list.
Zatheyll

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
No Urobuchi?

With Madoka being the best selling anime of the 21st century you'd think he'd be up there, very very high up there.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Zatheyll wrote:
No Urobuchi?

With Madoka being the best selling anime of the 21st century you'd think he'd be up there, very very high up there.

He's not a director, just a writer. The director of Madoka, Akiyuki Shinbo, is at #13.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Zatheyll wrote:
No Urobuchi?

Writer, and sales =/= best. If we go by what will bring us something of value like a lot of Miyazaki films have done, Hosoda wins for me. I love Shinkai with a passion but he focuses too much on romance
Zatheyll

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Zatheyll wrote:
No Urobuchi?

Writer, and sales =/= best. If we go by what will bring us something of value like a lot of Miyazaki films have done, Hosoda wins for me. I love Shinkai with a passion but he focuses too much on romance

Urobuchi is the only other director I know of than Miyazaki that is such a fan favorite among so many people. He's done some of the highest rated and selling anime of all time.

I'm not even saying this just because I like him, but realistically he should be near the top. Easily. All of his shows have gained such a cult following.
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
MexicanAnime wrote:
The two that I first thought of were Sayo Yamamoto (Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko, Michiko & Hatchin) and Chiaki Kon (Higurashi, Umineko) with the former being quite talented and distict.

LOVE Sayo Yamamoto!!! Another lady director to keep your eye on is Rie Matsumoto who directed Kyousogiga this year. She's got an awesome vision, and like Yamamoto, she's young-- only 28! Both of these ladies are like the exact opposite of the "old men" you usually see in director positions these days. I think in 10 years Matsumoto might be doing what guys like Hosoda are doing now-- maybe in the future she'll be another Miyazaki!

Other lady directors include Soubi Yamamoto (who did some solo anime before doing Meganebu this year) and Shinobu Tagashira (whom I know nothing about)... it's been a busy year for woman directors!!

Personally I'd love to see Shouko Nakamura given the director's chair... her Penguindrum work was the real deal!!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I don't really see the point in a "Post-Miyazaki" poll if you're just gonna pick A) His son and B) A bunch of old timers who, while no doubt fantastic directors, did their best work back in the day when Miyazaki was still heavily active.

As for me...

Masaaki Yuasa obviously. Although he's been doing great work for years (albeit not nearly as long as the likes of Otomo and Oshii). And Shinichiro Watanabe is making something of a resurgence although with him you're definitely into old guard territory.

Other than that, Hiroshi Nagahama definitely stands out. Small body of work but all of it excellent. Same goes for Sayo Yamamoto. And the same goes, in terms of film directors, for Takeshi Koike and Yasuhiro Yoshiura. Both very talented directors who I hope to see more from in the future.

And I think Takahiro Omori deserves a nod at least as an honorable mention for doing some interesting stuff. I'd give Akiyuki Shinbo the nod too but only on a purely visual level. Not sure he's that good otherwise at least when not paired with a strong writer like Urobuchi.
LavenderMintRose

I was wondering if it was mostly film directors, but then I noticed the directors of both my favorite TV anime on the list (10 and 17 (he directed Princess Tutu, which isn't mentioned there, but it is the greatest.))

Yeah, sad that there are no female directors on the list, though.
RyanSaotome

Zatheyll wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Zatheyll wrote:
No Urobuchi?

Urobuchi is the only other director I know of than Miyazaki that is such a fan favorite among so many people. He's done some of the highest rated and selling anime of all time.

I'm not even saying this just because I like him, but realistically he should be near the top. Easily. All of his shows have gained such a cult following.

Did you even read what I said? He's not a director. He's never directed any anime in his life.

person#68860
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I see neither Kenji Nakamura nor Kenji Kamiyama made the list. I'm guessing that most directors of anime for television are pretty much unknown outside a small circle of fans. The ones that appear on the list like Anno and Shinbo have directed feature films as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4