• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Storia Della Arcana Famiglia Blu-Ray

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I have the unfortunate distinction of having watched this series through to completion when it was streaming. I have only one good thing to say about it: Felicia is pretty cute. The plot never really got going and the action was rarely very interesting. All in all, a disappointment and one I feel a bit foolish for indulging to its finish.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is most glaring with “famiglia,” in which the “g” is silent. Honestly, even without background in the language, the fact that “fam-ig-lee-a” sounds kind of silly is enough of a problem when it is perfectly simple to say “fam-ee-lee-a.” As I said, this may be too picky, but it certainly can take away from the enjoyment of an otherwise mostly fine dub.

This pretty much sums up my problem with Sentai dubs in general. In this case it's Italian, but their actors are never on the same page on how to pronounce non-English words and it's so jarring. I mean, how difficult is it really to figure out the correct pronunciation of foreign words in the Internet age? To me it just seems like sloppy directing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
king 47

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm generally not into trashing shows or products. I try to not bother with them, but this show was utter garbage. One has to try to so hard to make a show this bad.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The other major issue with the dub may not bother everyone: little to no effort has been made to correctly pronounce the Italian.

rizuchan wrote:
Quote:
This is most glaring with “famiglia,” in which the “g” is silent. Honestly, even without background in the language, the fact that “fam-ig-lee-a” sounds kind of silly is enough of a problem when it is perfectly simple to say “fam-ee-lee-a.” As I said, this may be too picky, but it certainly can take away from the enjoyment of an otherwise mostly fine dub.

This pretty much sums up my problem with Sentai dubs in general. In this case it's Italian, but their actors are never on the same page on how to pronounce non-English words and it's so jarring. I mean, how difficult is it really to figure out the correct pronunciation of foreign words in the Internet age? To me it just seems like sloppy directing.

More like lazy direction. This seems to be more of a case with the industry than sentai dubs. There are countless instances where word pronunciations were simply bastardized with no care for another's language, which is funny because there are those whose primary career is voice acting (as opposed to stage acting, film acting or, slowly moving up the chain, voice direction) and you hear no concern for trying to preserve the original pronunciations.

We (general, overreaching version here) make quips about "Engrish" but that kinda sets a double standard when we then pronounce Amaterasu as "I'mma tear a Sue" with such confidence, I cringe a bit.

Perhaps it's a sensitivity that I developed as someone who grew up multilingual, but it's painful to hear your own language tossed around like a cheap souvenir.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes, the show which had infodumping so ridiculous, and exposition so clunky, that several characters spoiler[had to have their own powers explained to them. They literally didn't realise that their powers were based on the card they contracted with, which is so far beyond ignorant it reaches plain stupidity. This show doesn't have two brain cells to run together.]
rheiders

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, I was so disappointed in this show. It could have been a lot of fun, but instead it's a boring, ugly slog. Sad I only made it through the first few episodes.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:

More like lazy direction. This seems to be more of a case with the industry than sentai dubs. There are countless instances where word pronunciations were simply bastardized with no care for another's language, which is funny because there are those whose primary career is voice acting (as opposed to stage acting, film acting or, slowly moving up the chain, voice direction) and you hear no concern for trying to preserve the original pronunciations.

We (general, overreaching version here) make quips about "Engrish" but that kinda sets a double standard when we then pronounce Amaterasu as "I'mma tear a Sue" with such confidence, I cringe a bit.

Perhaps it's a sensitivity that I developed as someone who grew up multilingual, but it's painful to hear your own language tossed around like a cheap souvenir.

Eh, I'm not really that picky, after all, these voice actors are not Japanese speakers, so they can only approximate the sounds so well. Even I, who have studied Japanese for 8 years or so, have some trouble getting native speakers to understand my pronunciation.

I haven't heard the dub of Naruto that far (I'm assuming that's the show you're referencing) but I actually thought Naruto did a fairly decent job of pronouncing things correctly to the voice actors best abilities.

I do think Sentai has a bigger problem then many of the other companies, probably because they are lower budget. For example, Funimation almost goes overboard pronouncing names just right. (I honestly think it's almost too much, its kinda weird hearing "Haruhi" with correct r/l sound when they're speaking English) but they're consistent. Sentai on the other hand is often all over the place. Like in Clannad, one character would pronounce Sanae correctly while another (including Sanae herself!) would say "Suh-nay". And here they can't manage to pronounce 1st year Italian words correctly. Honest mistakes are one thing but Sentai is just lazy, lazy, lazy about this stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Let me tell you my story:
Trailers: Wow, this looks like a Katekyou Hitman Reborn battle frenzy. Can't wait for all the action.
1st episode: OK, everyone looks cool. Oh, a battle for Felicita's hand in marriage, this should be awesome.
2nd episode: OK... a little filler to get to know the characters....
3rd episode: OK... wasn't there a tournament about to happen?
4th-11th episode: WTF is this shit??????!!!!
12th episode: Are you [expletive] kidding me? THIS was the tournament? What a freaking joke!!!
OVA: Not even trying to hid the fujoushi in this, are they? Was the chick even in 10% of the episode? Doesn't matter, she has the personality of cardboard. A waste of Noto Mamiko's voice.

tl;dr: This show is absolute garbage.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I also clung on through the streams, thinking each time the plot was about to kick off until I was far enough in that I figured I might as well finished what I started(I don't think I've watched the OVA, but I doubt it'd change my mind).

While I don't really see the anachronism as being a minus, I do think Rebecca was far, far, far too lenient in her grading; this show is pretty much pure garbage, not that it didn't have a few "green shoots" that could've saved it from being awful. She does have a point that paring down the harem was good for character development, I'd say they managed to screw that up by picking the two that are about as exciting as the heroin: Nova and Libertà have interesting backstories, but they're far less entertaining combined than Luca, Debito* and Pace are on their own, despite being woefully underutilized - swapping the two groups really would've improved the show considerably. Also, that ending. I can understand spoiler[not picking a firm route], but the whole spoiler["I wish Papa would unretire"] bit was just pointlessly stupid(then again, spoiler[having Felicità actually take over the family business would require giving her a bit of character]).

* I'd have to say Hiroyuki Yoshino gave the best performance of the Japanese cast - everybody played their roles well enough, but he really sold the Mediterranean feel.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Yet Sentai was able to handle the Italian with Monica Rial in Campione. I didn't expect the whole enterprise to fall apart without her. Even ADV was employing some basic tenets of Italian in its dubs, like the "zz = t", as far back as Excel Saga. Point being, Sentai/ADV know better and have done better so I can conclude that this is show fell victim to Sentai's warp-speed dubbing.

I do wonder why Sentai feels the need to dub at break-neck speed. It has been said that they have "dubbed entire shows in the time that it takes Funimation to dub a single episode", which explains a great deal, and now it is going 'round that Sentai has already dubbed From the New World, even though the show is (or was, at the time of the rumor's inception) 2 months away from release. If that dub isn't perfect then I'll be peeved as they will have had more than ample time to make it the greatest dub ever. Mad
Quote:

I prefer to look at that as a passive, but conscious, form of "vengeance" for the Japanese constantly butchering the English language. I still wonder how the Japanese were allied with the Germans as anime continually reminds us that the more Germanic the language the greater their inability to speak it.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

I do think Sentai has a bigger problem then many of the other companies, probably because they are lower budget. For example, Funimation almost goes overboard pronouncing names just right. (I honestly think it's almost too much, its kinda weird hearing "Haruhi" with correct r/l sound when they're speaking English) but they're consistent. Sentai on the other hand is often all over the place. Like in Clannad, one character would pronounce Sanae correctly while another (including Sanae herself!) would say "Suh-nay". And here they can't manage to pronounce 1st year Italian words correctly. Honest mistakes are one thing but Sentai is just lazy, lazy, lazy about this stuff.

My favorites were "Ya Rippy" (Yurippe) and "Nay Oy" (Naoi) from Angel Beats.

Ya Rippy. Ya Rippy. The girl who's hard to get.

And yes, Sentai is way worse than any other dubbing company about this stuff. A thousand times worse. Everyone's tastes are different, certainly, but I'm pretty consistently aghast at how few f***s they give on their dubs. Besides the obvious reason of "stuff sells better with a dub on it," I don't know why they even bother.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was particularly amusing that Cynthia Martinez couldn't pronounce "Kun" correctly for nearly her entire screen time in Mysterious Girlfriend X when everyone else was saying it correctly
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I thought it was particularly amusing that Cynthia Martinez couldn't pronounce "Kun" correctly for nearly her entire screen time in Mysterious Girlfriend X when everyone else was saying it correctly

...if "kun" was being used in the dub as an honorific then I approve of her bumbling of it as honorifics have no place in dubs. English has the capability to express these relationships already, which is something a quality dub should understand; even Bang/Zoom has understood this and they make aping the Japanese dub "Priority One" with their dubs. I've heard from the ADV greats that the honorifics were sometimes left in as an easy way to match lip flap. That caused me great consternation.

Though I probably wouldn't have noticed as Cynthia Martinez is hilarious...or because I'd be vomiting as the very concept of the show makes me nauseous (and since the female character isn't attractive IMO I can't even relate to the title and plight of the male lead).
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
It looked so good from the trailer but I could only get 5 episode in... It was just so poorly written I couldn't keep going. I was hoping for something similar to Reborn as I'm a fan of Mafia style stories but it just seemed like a bunch of kids fighting for an arranged marriage.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Being actors in various other things other than anime, I would think someine would realize that there was something off about how they're saying "famiglia" and any other Italian...

Echo_City wrote:
Yet Sentai was able to handle the Italian with Monica Rial in Campione.

If it matters, Campione's ADR director also works for FUNimation. I guess it comes down to the care of the director and that the voice actors will do what they're told (and not do what they're not told). I hear FUNimation regulars in Sentai dubs mispronouncing things all the time or pronouncing things differently from the rest of the cast (the name "Nagisa" is a victim in more than one show, and by the same actors), yet there is a lot more consistency cast-wide in FUNimation dubs from Sentai regulars.

And if Sentai's going to bother with honorifics and Japanese words (like "tsundere" in Medaka Box), then they should perhaps take some time in educating their actors in basic Japanese pronunciation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3