• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Ai City

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh man this is a fun one. I remember this anime back during my HS days. It was another OVA that a local anime club [NYC] chapter screened. We had not a clue what this film was about. So we all sat there making out as best we could. I wouldn't mind seeing this film again just to find out what I didn't understand at the time. Man talk about 80's animation. And that song, that song....It's classic.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind rewatching this one on BD, since that really helped me pay attention during Genma Taisen.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:18 am Reply with quote
Wow, just realized Pile of Shame has now been around for more than a year. Time flies.

Never heard of this one before, but I'm going to watch it now. I'll be back with comments once I've seen it.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like something I could very much enjoy. Let's see where and when I will be able to get my hands on it.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote
Koichi Mashimo really had quite the flair for combining total weirdness with eclectic energy, too bad he's not really putting that to use much these days.

And I'll second the love for all that glowing neon.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:36 am Reply with quote
Never managed to see this one, though I remember there used to be used VHS tapes of it at the collectibles shops all the time. The cover just didn't make it look all that appealing, and there were other things I wanted to watch. Sounds like I might be able to enjoy it once for the visual experience, but probably not a keeper.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I've now seen this one, and this anime has filled a hole that's always been there for me with anime.

I don't really know why anime seem to be stuck with having realistic color palettes as their baseline. They may delve into some odd color choices for certain moments and in OP/ED, but I always wanted to see an anime whose default appearance was an unusual color pallete. Redline came close (and it's one of the reasons I love that movie), but this one is the first thing I've seen that really had it full force. Awesome psychedelic motion and imagery.
Buster D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
There appears to be an Italian DVD from Yamato which is readily available. I assume it doesn't have English subs but it might be an OK alternative to tracking down the JP DVD. I wonder if it's a NTSC->PAL conversion or a film-based PAL transfer with 25fps speedup.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1