• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Nendoroid Tomoko Kuroki

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I love to post figure photography and was really tempted to get her. But, based on your past reviews, I steer clear of Nendoroids. Now I am tempted...

Question: It seems like you really don't like Nendoroids. I've never owned one (I'm mostly a RAH and Figma gal). But I have to ask, why do you keep posting reviews on them if you don't like them? I'd rather read about figures that have a chance of being "buyable" than the same old same old Nendroid has let me down again...

I really appreciate your column, but I already know if you are going to review a Nendoroid what it will say.
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I know what you mean, but I actually don't hate Nendoroid or the GSC lines in general so much as I'm extremely cautious of them. What I hate is cheap and low-quality stuff, and I always call these figures out on it, because I've looked at a huge amount of stuff in this price range and I know that you can do a really great figure even at $40-50. (Medicos Jojo SAS figures are actually my high water mark at this range).

I really like this figure, actually. I'm leaving it out on my shelf that's almost completely dominated by expensive diecast, toku/robots, and Dizzy. Going back a few months, I've actually liked a lot of the Nendos I've looked at. Isabelle was great, so were the Mikus. We've just been on kind of an unusual run with Nendoroids the last few months, and only one of them was honestly bad.

That being said, choices for this column aren't completely up to my personal whims, I assure you! I keep a balance in mind between what's out, what's popular, and-- when the former are not in supply-- what I think will be cool or weird or fun even if most readers don't really care about it.

Realistically, there is no way we're going to ignore the most popular lines that have the most popular characters, and which are 50/50 on quality. That'd be a disservice to the reader base in its own way.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh god, those faces are epic. Too bad you only get three, because there was so many other deranged faces from the show they could have used.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Oh god, those faces are epic. Too bad you only get three, because there was so many other deranged faces from the show they could have used.

My thoughts exactly. You could have a lot of fun scaring sleeping people with this figure.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
This actually looks better than the original manga and anime designs. Laughing
Jamie38459

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
So kyewt
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
My first nendoroid! I've got Tomoko ripping up those panties on my stand. Her "freakout" expression is my favorite.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I have never bought a figure but this might be my first one. I'm not really into the whole over-sexualized young girls thing (to each their own), but this one looks surprisingly tame and I am a big fan of the show. I would have never known about it if it wasn't for your review, thanks. Any chance you could review the Harlock figure from Square Enix?
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In any case, this is likely to be the only Mokocchi you're ever gonna get.

Actually there's a Petit Nendoroid that's going to be bundled with the next volume of the manga. CD Japan has it for $15 before shipping.
Quark

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Quote:
In any case, this is likely to be the only Mokocchi you're ever gonna get.

Actually there's a Petit Nendoroid that's going to be bundled with the next volume of the manga. CD Japan has it for $15 before shipping.

...Pre-ordered. Thanks!
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
I've never bought a figure before, but I've been watching Watamote lately and adsagsagfdafsah this is so f*cking cute. Razz
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
I've never bought a figure before (well, besides for stuff I got in grabbags), but Tomoko is my girl! I cosplayed her at NYCC and as far as I'm concerned, she's absolutely moe. I want to look into that petite nendroid w/manga deal now (I doubt they'll come out with figmas of her anytime soon)
Zumie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I really like Watamote, it's one of the better manga/anime I've seen in a long time and it's nice to see a character that's actually realistic for once in school slice of life anime.

That said I sort of wish they would have gave her at least one face that doesn't make her look painfully awkward.

Maybe that's not possible Sad
Haipaa_Koneko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote
I really want see her and Hentai woody hunting anime girls. She has THE FACE for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:31 am Reply with quote
I adored Watamote, it was so relatable. I NEED THIS...

...but my wallet says no. Oh well, I found this lying around, it's a good laugh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2