• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fate/Zero Blu-Ray Box Set II

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Well... this sounds good. Wink
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He has an uncanny talent for humanizing evil

to the point it's becoming a meme.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Bravo, wonderful review hope and cheers all around. As a huge fan of the fate series you pretty much hit the nail on the head for fate/zero's 2nd half.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Encore22

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote
No C in animation this time around haha : P should seriously re do that first part review : P anyways, awesome review of an even more awesome anime.
ccChuey123

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
The CGI was pretty bad, but other than that I loved the series.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Okay, now I really, really, REALLY want to go watch the show right now. Your review was so good, it just makes me want to go and stream or buy it at this very second. Unfortunately, I'm already watching five different animes at the moment. (Almost done with Season 1 of Haruhi Suzumiya, half way through Code Geass Season 1, halfway through all of Soul Eater, a third of the way through Azumanga Daioh, and currently streaming Space Dandy.) Ah, the life of an otaku is full of woe. Maybe when I'm finished with Haruhi Suzumiya, I'll treat myself to this show. Either that or Psycho-Pass, which I've also heard good things about.
Durga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
This is the one of those I wish I liked more than I actually do. By no means do I think it's a bad story, but I find my interest wavers when Rider and Waver aren't onscreen. You're right in that it's Kiritsugu's story, and I found him more interesting in the 2nd half, but there's so much exposition and RPG elements to get through that it drags the show down. I feel what makes this show accessible are the characters. I couldn't care less about the other Type Moon stuff. I don't care about the Holy Grail. But the relationship between Rider and Waver kept me coming back to this. I felt bad for the characters who sacrificed so much and came up empty handed. Mage was a fun villain for the first half. BUT Saber and Gilgamesh? Did not care for them at all, and they have so much screen time. I know they're important in the Fate universe, but they felt underwritten compared to everyone else, or at the very least don't get the emotional resonance out of me.

There's a lot of good in this series, more good than anything with the Fate brand on it. My feelings toward it remains mixed.
SonOfaMonkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote

HALLELUJAH!!
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first 7 episodes and didn't get hooked, there was just so much talking... and not the kind of enjoyable talking like you see in the Monogatari series, but talking that seemed a bit too ambitious... But i've been told many times before that the second half is where the show really, really shines, and it seems it may just do that. Maybe i'll have to pick it up, although i've got way too many pre-orders the two coming months... Laughing

As for the review itself, it seemed quite solid, but if there's one thing I dislike with the review it's the lack of coverage on the packaging, which is kind of AoA's forte... No one can deny that AoA has some of the most gorgeous box sets and that there's not many companies that can rival them.

And it's quite odd that you're leaving it out when the title clearly says "Fate/Zero Blu-ray Box Set II" Shocked...
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Quote:
He has an uncanny talent for humanizing evil

to the point it's becoming a meme.

Kyubey's not evil, if he's the character to whom you're referring.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Hope wrote:
For the most part, however, Fate/Zero's second half is directed far better than its fatty, talky first half...

Except those long conversations in the first half were amazing.

The first half was better than the second simply by dint of being better paced which allowed it time to really expand on the ideas and themes. The second half has to do too much - kill off too many characters, feature too many fights, wrap up too many plot arcs - and so everything suffers. I would have liked the show to get another cour, as I believe it could have done a lot with the extra time.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I felt the dub wasnt as good as the sub, so both getting an A isnt fair to me. As usual for Aniplex, I also wouldve put the price point as a major negative. Double everyone else's price
gedata

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Might have to give this show another shot. Talky shows normally don't do it for me without a solid dub. Also, Rider and Waver spoiled me rotten with their on screen chemistry spoiler[so much so that I kinda lost interest in the show during it's finale when they were no longer around]
Nyerp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I agree with pretty much everything said in this review. (Well, except I don't think the CG ever bothered me that much; I tend to chalk up bad CG implementation as "well it's an anime") This show is WAY too good considering what it's a prequel to. I hope ufotable's upcoming stay night adaptation is more of a continuation of THIS story than the harem-y power level nonsense the VN (and studio DEEN anime) was.
kondeelai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Great review! I was coincidentally listening to Fate/Zero's OST before coming here in a long while. I agree with a lot of the points this review made and while the dialogue scenes could have had better visuals and directing to go along during those scenes, the adaptation is still one of my favorite animations of all time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7