• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - 5 Centimeters per Second

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Yep unrequited love is a bitch. Get over it and move on , or wallow in self pity until you die. The choice is yours.
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
5 CM is one of the best well-written stories with no magic and no hope involved. This can happen to anyone. The structure is well reserved for the characters and plot. If you are reading this and you've never seen 5 CM then you should absolutely watch the movie first, then read the manga afterwards (in this order).

I've seen this movie more than 50 times, maybe 60, or 70 times. I lost count. But I watch it a lot more than I keeping track of my counts. This has been my favorite movie and I look forward to more realistic self-reflection stories like this one. No magic, no hope, no miracles. It can happen to literally just about anyone out there.

Edit -- I have the original movie encoded by fansubs with variety of subtitles, I've purchased the Sakura edition movie which has a lot of other things than the movie itself (behind the scenes, etc). I've purchased the manga and read both the official translation (not as good) and the fan-translated (better than expected). Though holding the manga book, which is two mangas into one for the western release, is very huge! The experience from 5 CM story is overwhelming ..

I love 5 CM.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I know I read the manga at some point, but I really can't remember anything from it, I don't know if it's because it wasn't particularly interesting or because the movie completely overshadow it (probably my second favorite movie after pat labor 2nd movie).

I guess read it if you really don't like movie, cause damn it's good. Above all else my favorite part is actually when it focus on surfer girl, it was pretty interesting to have a chapter from the viewpoint of another character than the MC (and let's face it, the MC is not all that interesting in the first chapter, he gets to be more interesting when he become an adult).
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Yep unrequited love is a bitch. Get over it and move on , or wallow in self pity until you die. The choice is yours.

The thing is it was not unrequited. That's the whole point! The two did truly love each other but eventually distance and time and the lack of shared memories simply made the relationship impossible.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I'd actually be pretty interested in reading this; I think 5 Centimeters is Shinkai best take on his ever-present theme of long distance relationships, and it would be great to see the characters lives and interactions fleshed out a bit more.
Though I'm wondering, does anyone know why long-distance became Shinkai's overarching theme in all of his works? It's obvious he must of had some pretty intense experience to have colored so much of his creativity like this.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

The thing is it was not unrequited. That's the whole point! The two did truly love each other but eventually distance and time and the lack of shared memories simply made the relationship impossible.
Definition of "unrequited".
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

That is not entirely correct. They did have shared memories, and as adults he could have made that re-connection, if he truly wanted it. There is no guarantee of what would have happened if he did reach for that, but it was a viable choice for him to make, or not to make.

We hear lots of stories in the news about people reconnecting with their young loves, after years or decades of separation. So it is not an unheard of path.
magvis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
It comes down to our two choices in life:

She moved on. She was engaged, apparently happily, at the end of the movie.

His ability to relate well to other people was gone by the time he was in high school and he remained that way. Nor did it seem that he really cared one way or the other by then.
corinthian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Definition of "unrequited".

unrequited - adjective
1. not returned or reciprocated: unrequited love.
2. not avenged or retaliated: an unrequited wrong.
3. not repaid or satisfied.

Just because the relationship didn't work out doesn't mean the feelings weren't mutual.
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

I thought that was the point of the film. Takaki is so self-absorbed that he shuns other relationships throughout his adolescence. The final sequence was him finally moving on. Or realizing that he should, and that he is the source of his misery.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:35 am Reply with quote
corinthian wrote:

unrequited - adjective
1. not returned or reciprocated: unrequited love.
2. not avenged or retaliated: an unrequited wrong.
3. not repaid or satisfied.

Just because the relationship didn't work out doesn't mean the feelings weren't mutual.

I believe that it could be argued that the "or satisfied" part of the 3rd definition applies.

I'll readily admit it isn't what one thinks of when "unrequited love" is mentioned.
Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:41 am Reply with quote
[quote="Player No. 3] I thought that was the point of the film. Takaki is so self-absorbed that he shuns other relationships throughout his adolescence. The final sequence was him finally moving on. Or realizing that he should, and that he is the source of his misery.[/quote]

I think that's a little harsh. I think it was more that he couldn't accept the reality that their relationship was doomed because of her father's employment move. They tried for a while, but it would have just been too hard at their given ages. Things may have been different had they been a little older, but Akari was still young enough that she had to move with her parents and probably still needed their presence emotionally.

The big question is whether or not he waited too long to accept the inevitable and thereby screwed up something potential with Kanae. I don't know if the manga resolves this, but the anime left the issue of whether or not he moved on with Kanae or someone else wide open. (At least I think that's what I remember - I'll have to rewatch soon).
Hito-kun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:23 am Reply with quote
in the movie... yeah... Possibilities Confused but the manga what different??
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:39 am Reply with quote
I'm a little frustrated because the article never really said - how does the manga version compare to the anime? I love the anime version dearly, but I've skipped on the manga so far. One of my favorite aspects of the movie (and all of Shinkai's movies) was the colors. It's hard to imagine this story in black and white.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:43 am Reply with quote
Just now finished the movie. It brought out emotions that I've felt growing up but have really lost as an adult.

Wow.

Tugging at the heart through Episode one, that being the unfair existence of being apart. Episode 2 realizing what I should have went for in reality but was emotionally fighting with the past love and Episode 3 that shows the bitterness of adulthood and the somberness of letting go, continually being jaded by that love.

I'm curious to how males and females reacted to these shorts differently. I would think world experience and perspective would give off strongly different emotions for the outcome of this movie.

I'm a sucker for a happy ending but the closure was never delivered. I think the montage to credits is what made me a little bitter.Not very many anime titles bring this emotion out but whatever that was made me want more like an addiction.

This manga looks interesting but the only thing you can really convey is the simple character art because those ambient sci-fi backgrounds with that seven layers of clouds, soft gradient, light and shadow is impossible to emulate through monochrome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2