• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Dandy (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:00 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
So is this show 13 or 26 episode?

I mean epi 13 wasn't bad, but if that's it for a final episode...

It's a 2 cour show split into separate seasons. First half finished already with TVO airing the final episode on Wednesday. Second half begins summer. It's a similar style used for F/Z, Jormungand, Valvrave, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 13:
I didn't really like this episode,it was just hitting familiar beats without providing anything innovating or even funny.The animation at the end was fantastic though.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
episode 13 already aired in Japan?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
episode 13 already aired in Japan?

Either that or some kind of early leak, since I'm watching the episode now. My summary of the show thus far: entertaining, but nothing to necessarily go out of the way for. I guess some people just crave it for the novelty of not focusing on teenagers?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (final, at least before the second season)

I actually thought QT was more of a girl, what with its name possible meaning "Cutie", although being a robot QT does not need a specific gender. And being and androgynous is not a problem, kind of makes it like BMO, oh my god Space Dandy has a huge amount of similarities to Adventure Time! We have the sometimes competent, sometimes terrible hero, the humanoid animal sidekick who is lazy, and the androgynous robot who has learned to love at least once and has a pixelated face display.

Looking back on Space Dandy, I disliked it at the beginning, although have liked it now it has been far from consistent. Unless you consider it has consistently inconsistent, which some way has been either what has made it have trouble, or actually something that has worked great for it. Some are the standard hit and miss jokes, maybe references in there, yet other have been pretty much works of art, something so different it makes you look at it differently and wonder if it is the same show that made boob jokes. But at the same time I think show is being nicely meta, and something is working very well as a dual language release that indeed seems to be trying to reach out to Japanese and Western viewers alike. In terms of the dub which I have watched, I have not noticed any real issues, and on a personal preference I am quite fond of QT's autotuned voice as apposed to what I often here in Japanese dubs for robots.

On a scale I put it at Good, but for some it is going to be a must watch at least in terms of its English release. Whether this is Saturday morning insane with perhaps misguided Western pandering or actually a rather intelligent piece that has taken some chances, is ultimately up to the viewer.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:28 am Reply with quote
It was nice while it lasted.

Space Dandy is a very good show. It's silly, understated, over-the-top, quiet, and just plain fun all at the same time. I've enjoyed watching our heroes go through creative adventures, from ramen hunts, to zombie apocalypses, to space races, to Groundhog Day loops. So it surprised me to see the first part of the show end on a relatively small note.

I love QT. This episode had plenty of QT. Simply put, it's just a story about our robot buddy meeting another cute robot. And...that's it. There's nothing inherently wrong with the episode, not at all. It's a simple, sweet story, and I did feel for QT during the episode. And do I need to say that the climax was all kinds of awesome? Overall, it was a good end for the first half of Space Dandy. Not what I expected, but it delivered what it promised.

I'm actually kind of sad to see the show go on hiatus. I wonder what else the director did? Hmmm...there's this show about some bounty hunters going on delightful adventures. And it has a good soundtrack AND English dub. I think I'll go watch that next... Wink
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Hey, what's with all that heartbreak, QT?
Wasn't Maker the sole survivor of the incident? Wink

As for the episode itself, I'm kinda disappointed at how they end the 1st half. Not that it's bad (I found the fight scene between both giant robots to be emotional), but still, there's this "Huh, is that all?" feeling.

Anyway, this is a fun, lighthearted, and above all, visually colorful show. Oh, and I'll be honest: I enjoy the English-dub version more Smile
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:15 am Reply with quote
Interesting episode. The first half seemed rather uninspired. Decent enough but nothing particularly memorable. But man did they ever kick it up a notch in the later half. Those visuals were fantastic. I loved all the shots of the various junked robots and the battle at the end against the backdrop of the city was outstanding. The show has done a lot of great things visually but this segment may well be by favorite. Well, this or maybe the plant episode.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I guess some people just crave it for the novelty of not focusing on teenagers?

Oh give it a rest. People like this show for the same reasons they like any show: Because they actually like it. They think it's good. They enjoy it. You're more than welcome to feel differently but stop trying to question the motivations of those who disagree. It's really tiresome.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh give it a rest. People like this show for the same reasons they like any show: Because they actually like it. They think it's good. They enjoy it. You're more than welcome to feel differently but stop trying to question the motivations of those who disagree. It's really tiresome.

Thank you,the weirdest thing about the constant psychoanalyzing is that walw6pK4Alo already mentioned that he himself actually enjoys the series.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I think Dr. Gel might actually be my favorite character, his constant blundering and failing once again makes him endearing. Hopefully he and Bea will get a bigger role and maybe even a few episodes during the second half.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 will air soon, so I'm making this post to link in the opener for reference.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Oy.....sometimes anime is just TOO strange for me to enjoy. Arakawa Under Bridge was one.
Looks like this is another. I turned it off after about ten minutes...and the dub has little to do with that. The show's just not my cup of tea.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:06 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 1:

It's back baby and in style! A lot of references and I even recall spoiler[WIKIPEDIA] being mentioned at one point. Nonetheless, it's great to see the show back. I'm excited to see more!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:14 am Reply with quote
I want a spinoff series focusing on the alternate Dandies. That is all.

Ian Sinclair @iantweeting · 44m
The Season 2 Premier of #SpaceDandy was one of the most enjoyable and challenging experiences of my VO career. #ActorCrack

Micah Solusod @maioceaneyes · 29m
I can't wait for all of you to send @AtYes2Ats fan art of naked fem Meow. #SpaceDandy

Ian Sinclair @iantweeting · 28m
JAMON! HEE-HEE #SpaceDandy

Micah Solusod @maioceaneyes · 25m
When your director tries to explain that you are suddenly a dancing carrot, you stop asking questions and just roll with it. #SpaceDandy

Alexis Tipton @AlexisTiptonVA · 15m
If this ep doesn't demonstrate how freaking talented and versatile @iantweeting and @AtYes2Ats are then I don't know what will #SpaceDandy

Joel McDonald @AtYes2Ats · 8m
That episode of #SpaceDandy was the biggest sandbox a VA could ever hope to play in. Hope you had as much fun as I did.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:45 am Reply with quote
This was an excellent episode to start off the second season! Every time a new version of Dandy and his crew showed up, I'd start laughing all over again, and it was really a great way to show the voice actors' versatility. I'd be curious to watch this episode again, in Japanese, to see how it compares in that aspect.

I think my favorite part before they all spoiler[ended up in the same universe] was the part with that weird spoiler[Dragonball/Michael Jackson-esque hybrid] Dandy. The spoiler[skeleton-themed] QT was fairly creepy, as was the spoiler[robo-]Meow, although somehow I couldn't help but laugh at the way its "meow" sounded.

And of course, it was great to hear the opening theme song again. Can't wait for next week's episode!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 24