• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Release One Piece Film: Z on Home Video

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
AWESOME!! Very Happy Seriously this too awesome! I've been waiting for this!
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Funi will be able to keep the rights to the ending songs. The royalties on a classic like Bad Reputation must be a lot higher than on a standard anime song. And they've run into trouble with One Piece music in the past (their simualcast had to cut out the opening theme used during the Punk Hazard story arc due to music rights issues.)

Anyway, I'm excited to see Film Z in English. It's the second best One Piece film (after Movie 6, directed by the amazing Mamorou Hosada) and it does something OP rarely does, which is give us a morally ambiguous villain who feels more tragic than evil. Actually, the movie is more about Z and his struggle than it is about the Strawhats, but the approach works quite well.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
It was pretty obvious they were gonna get this movie after Madman's slip-up a few weeks ago.

Still, it's nice to have an official announcement. And hopefully we can get movie 6 eventually too.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I literally put my Japanese DVD in today and watched it with my girlfriend. I've seen all the One Piece films now, and I have to say that I was most certainly impressed. There were only a few parts of the film that seemed forced beyond your typical One Piece writing (like many of the fillers), but the overall film was definitely my favorite, or one of my favorite, standalone One Piece films overall. And I'm a fan of Hosoda, so that's saying something. =P
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Still, it's nice to have an official announcement. And hopefully we can get movie 6 eventually too.

Just wanted to point out that on the announcement article on the Funimation website, you said movie 5 instead of movie 6. Laughing
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Just wanted to point out that on the announcement article on the Funimation website, you said movie 5 instead of movie 6. Laughing

Yeah, I keep getting those two confused. Which is the one that was directed by Hosoda? Anime dazed
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Yeah, I keep getting those two confused. Which is the one that was directed by Hosoda? Anime dazed

The 6th one.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern: I have a feeling they paid for the music, just so they could sell the film to non-One Piece fans.
Toriko36

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
This is really great news. I really enjoyed Strong World on Blu Ray from Funimation and this will be an absolute pre-order.

If this article is correct, we're getting a release only a few months after Japan does, which is pretty incredible. Usually there's at least 6 months in between releases, but maybe because One Piece is just so popular around the world, maybe there doesn't need to be that big of a time lag between the countries.

Either way, this is a day 1 pre-order and can't wait to watch this on Blu Ray this fall!
Ruremi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
It will definitely make a wonderful present for christmas
Shankusu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Toriko36 wrote:
This is really great news. I really enjoyed Strong World on Blu Ray from Funimation and this will be an absolute pre-order.

If this article is correct, we're getting a release only a few months after Japan does, which is pretty incredible. Usually there's at least 6 months in between releases, but maybe because One Piece is just so popular around the world, maybe there doesn't need to be that big of a time lag between the countries.

Either way, this is a day 1 pre-order and can't wait to watch this on Blu Ray this fall!

It was released in Japan last year. Whoever wrote the article was lazy and copied the bottom-part from an old article where the japanese release date was announced.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAH BABY! I'm looking forward to the day I can pre-order this! Very Happy
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Great that they've got it. Was a given really. Nevermind best OP film it was one of the best films I've seen, anime or otherwise. Joint best with Strong World for me though out of OP catalogue, so hard to pick between them. SW edges it because of Shiki.

My thoughts also echo Wyvern though, not sure if they'll be able to keep ending songs, Avril Lavigne is likely to be much more costly than many Japanese artists. I mean she's still relatively big isn't she?
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Very good news indeed, but I really wonder when Funi will pick up the other movies (1-7, 9 and maybe 3D, which I count as 11).

I'd personally go crazy over a dub for Movie 9, which is one of my favorite movies of all time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

I wonder if Funi will be able to keep the rights to the ending songs. The royalties on a classic like Bad Reputation must be a lot higher than on a standard anime song. And they've run into trouble with One Piece music in the past (their simualcast had to cut out the opening theme used during the Punk Hazard story arc due to music rights issues.)

Hope they can get rights to the songs and not have to do edits.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1