• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'All You Need Is Kill' Novelist Is Now Writing a Sequel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:46 am Reply with quote
Heh, interesting. Now I also wonder if that sequel will get a manga alternate version too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:02 am Reply with quote
Not sure how you can write a sequel, when the first book is fairly self-contained. Maybe expand on the story?
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:41 am Reply with quote
As Viz Media are reprinting the first novel under the name Edge of Tomorrow, I'm actually surprised that the English version of the manga isn't under that name as well (it would undoubtedly sell more). I did query this with Viz Media on Twitter, but their response made it out as if they'd completely misunderstood my point (by pointing out that the original title of the novel was All You Need Is Kill...which I know, duh).

I've been enjoying the manga adaptation in Weekly Shonen Jump, so I might as well buy the original novel.
GordanHam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I actually just read the novel last week. I definitely see how there is more story to be told, but not along the lines of a direct sequel. Kinda seems like it would defeat the purpose of how the book was written.
I didn't like the ending, but I wouldn't say it was bad, just not what I wanted.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
As Viz Media are reprinting the first novel under the name Edge of Tomorrow, I'm actually surprised that the English version of the manga isn't under that name as well (it would undoubtedly sell more). I did query this with Viz Media on Twitter, but their response made it out as if they'd completely misunderstood my point (by pointing out that the original title of the novel was All You Need Is Kill...which I know, duh).

Novel readers are probably different from manga readers. My guess is that manga readers are already willing to go for a more 'Japanese' experience because it's probably more 'authentic', so they'd want the original title. Novel readers are probably more mainstream I think -- maybe they are hoping to get the same readership as those who pick up Natsuo Kirino's stuff, I guess?

Anyway, looking forward to see Edge of Tomorrow in my local Kinokuniya. Smile
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Viz wants to sell All You Need Is Kill through the comic book, because it thinks it can find a bigger audience than through the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1