• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Boys over Flowers Forces F4 Idol Band to Rename Itself

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Funny I was watching HYD2 the other day and thought the F4 in that was just as lame as the F4 in Meteor Garden.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Mmm, never saw Meteor Garden - I just ignored it - I should have looked at the description better - I loved HYD... I would have liked to have seen the 3 Meteor Garden series.
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
WHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!

No way. That's retarded. Sure, it's a lack of creativity to name them after the group in the drama, but still! Everyone's known about the F4 since forever, and it's not like we don't know what the band's name is based on. MG's probably the primary reason we thought they were so cool. Should Wizard Rock bands be forced to rename themselves since they use the name of the media series that they pay homage to? (Bad example, but still.)

I hear the reason they changed it was because Japan already has an F4. But it's not like no one know about it; Japanese fans are well aware of the Taiwanese F4. F4 even visited Japan recently and did a Hana Yori Dango spoof.

I think I'm just upset because JVKV is a terrible name. They could at least be "Flower Four" or "Alt-F4" or SOMETHING.

Wonder what Yoko Kamio thinks.
midori kou

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:17 am Reply with quote
Who can say "JVKV" five times fast?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:58 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
I hear the reason they changed it was because Japan already has an F4. But it's not like no one know about it; Japanese fans are well aware of the Taiwanese F4. F4 even visited Japan recently and did a Hana Yori Dango spoof.

On April 27th (so this is kind of old news), Angie Chai (柴智屏) announced the name change.

On April 28th United Daily News wrote:
F4這名號紅遍海內外,一時要改可能不容易,柴智屏解釋說,F4是「流星花園」劇中的角色名稱,當初日本出版社授權使用,如今日本也拍了「流星花園」,這樣下去將來可能各國都有F4,因此出版社才表達希望未來若是與「流」劇無關的話請別再用F4,日前舉辦過的那場觀光局國際歌友會的活動就已更名為JVKV 了。

Translation: The title "F4" is internationally recognized and popular, it could be difficult to change in a short time. Chai explains that F4 was the group's name in Meteor Garden and was authorized by the Japanese publisher, however now Japan has their own live-action adaptation of Hana Yori Dango and in no time every country might have their own F4, so the publisher request not to use "F4" at events unrelated to Hana Yori Dango. [The group] has already changed their title to "JVKV" at the recent meet-the-fans event held by Tourism Bureau.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1